Fate of CDGroup / CDG & TBX

I re-named the thread, despite it not being yours to rename. ;)

I've also no objection if you want to edit your first post to include all or as much as you'd like (within the post size limits - 5000? 10000? 15000 chars? I forget.)

As for what forum this thread belongs in -- I dunno. Probably Other Civ Sites is most appropriate, but, at the same time, it kind of needs to be up here in CIv3, as well. I'll think about it.

I think the thread should stay here. When questions did arise about CDG, this was mostly Civ 3 related.

I've also no objection if you want to edit your first post to include all or as much as you'd like (within the post size limits - 5000? 10000? 15000 chars? I forget.)
The limit is 30,000 characters. I ran into that limit last night editing a post that became Team FREE: Saber vs. The Council. I had the first 6 posts in that one edit. I was over by 200 characters or so, so a little bit of Notepad helped me out.

Actually I think I will leave it in the form it is in. BTW if anyone can think of a use for the CDG server let me know and I will do what I can to make it happen. I wanted to try and turn it into a PTBS server since it has a great connection four processors and a ton of RAM and is sitting there doing basically nothing. It is Linux and I have very little experience with Linux. But I can't seem to learn anythign while on these meds.

I think an online PTBS server would be great for the community. I am already the defaul PTBS server guy for some people hosting two games right now and about to start two more. I would just rather it not be coming through my house. I wouldn't be doing it for money, I never did anything for the civ community for the money, I got I think three donations over the life of the server, but one was recurring, and was appreciated.

HI just wanted to thank you for the lil hitory of the site that brought us aruably the best mod for Civ3 to date. In know others have started mods that will challenge Balancer Reloaded but they don't finish them. It easy to set out but rare to see one comlpeted to prograde status like you guys accomlpished

Anyway Its tough to get the balancer these days. I think its bit torrent adaption was good but when that was the sole way I think that hurt a lot people who can't keep trying day after day for the torrent to be up. We forget or move on.
I can't understand why so many whined the time when you d-loaded to get this game. I knew beacuse so much work went into it and its free there was no reason to . .. .. .. .. . about waiting a few hours . Pitty

. OH and I respct the valiant effort puttin you peice together. Those oxys/vicidans are much better to play civ on then to write on! :smoke: Heck I know, I was on a 6 month script and nearly died come ween. I looked much much scarier then anyone on hallo-ween. :lol: Funny after treatment IM suppose to be fine yet off the meds 1st day I felt sicker then Id ever been !
lol Biggest mess. Reminds me of that Army Vet Dr. HOuse in that show where he pops em like skittles , you know? I was like that when I came back to work early excpet a bum labour worker not MD. :D:blush::sad: lol

Well I can put it back up on the CDG server, I need to find the latest copy. And Kingpin I believe has that. It would be good to have a link to the mod on a thread about the history of the mod.

Ya your absoultly correct. We need a link to an all patched production and a file download for when the tirrent isnt up.

Only a few hours work ensures greatest chance the time spent on TBX is compenstated with better worldwide distribution . I mean thats basics I see as incentive . I here people always tryin to get at TBX. .

btw having the original 'balancer ' in the Civ Complete package is great publicity' . You got a huge adv over 99.1 of mods put out there in that way. More reason for proper download alterative to torrent delivery and also a complete patch package put together

Hey again always great talkin to a man behind the epic work . I used to play succesion game with Kingpin using this mod, Im biggest promoter of this masterpeice you'll ever meet. Just Google T.A balancer n' see how your greet

I didn't realize people still played it to be honest. The CDG server is empty so if I can ever get a hold of Kingpin I'll get it up there.

Yeah, they told us we had three months to make it, and then like a month later said we had a week, that's why the one on there is incomplete. It was one of the best mods of its time. I am not sure how Kingpin feels, but I think it is the best creation I have ever made.

I have been trying to make a Civ4 version since it came out, I just always ran into brick walls.

I'll google it and see. :) Thanks for the support, its great to hear how much it is enjoyed even to this day.

So did this ever get finished for Conquests?

AFAIK, the Conquests version of the balancer goes under the name "Rise and Rule"... Just what I think everyday I get out of bed in the morning :lol:

Really, had not made the connection.

No, The latest version was Reloaded. The Balancer: Reloaded, I will upload a copy on to the CDG server. I don't recall if that is for PTW or C3C, but that is the latest. Also Kingpin has a copy.

Thanks for the great read, Luc. Hard to believe it's been over 7 years since I first met you and so many other close friends at the CDG site. I was only 14 then - amazing when you think about it, 1/3 of my life that I've been keeping in pretty regular contact with you and some of the other guys. :)

Do you remember when the modding stuff with Monkspider originally happened? I do still remember that CDG's birthday was the 31st of August 2001 - a couple of months before I originally joined. So I guess it was a while before that.

In C3C (Mac) The Balancer is found under PTW Game Data in the Scenarios folder. Every time I try to start it up I am informed that SetRunFoot1.wav cannot be found, and that C3C would then shut down. Methinks somebody at Firaxis had a higher opinion of his skills than was warranted.

Well when we were working on the mod for the C3C release, about a month before we were told it was due originally, we got told it was due in two days. We didn't get enough time to work out the kinks.

I believe Kingpin has the latest copy of the mod. I will see if I can get him here so he can link you.

Methinks somebody at Firaxis had a higher opinion of his skills than was warranted.

Not sure what would motivate me to solve this problem...

A very good read, thanks for sharing.

I'm very tempted to hunt this out now..

Top Bottom