LK154 - CCM - Bablyon

LKendter

Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!!
Supporter
4000 BC 0
Before starting the real game I played a round a bit to make sure CCM seems to be working.

After some bogus starts (next to Volcano, Tundra chocked) we finally decide to be the Babylonians. This is really forest choked. At least two of the forest tiles have game for some okay tiles.
I begin research on warrior code to open up the all-important slavers hut.

3750 BC 5
Nineveh is formed along the coast with fish, and 3 whales. It starts work on national flag.

3500 BC 10
Nineveh begins work on worker houses.

3300 BC 14
We have contact with the Vikings. We ship them bronze working and pottery for warrior code and $24. Slaver's hut will arrive a lot sooner.

3250 BC 15
Nineveh begins the Slaver's Hut.

3000 BC 20
Our first clan has arrived. At this point we don't have a clear city #3.

2800 BC 24
We finally meet another civ - Nubia. No trades are possible.

We also meet China. Everything we have is doubtful for masonry.

2700 BC 26
Assur is founded. Once the borders expand it gets a cow and deer.

2620 BC 28
(IT) The French have already completed the Pyramids.
The Temple of Baalbek is also completed by the Indochinese.
Korea has completed Stonehenge.
American has completed The Temple of Artemis.
The Dutch have completed Colossus.
That was an insane amount of wonders to complete in 1 turn.

2540 BC 30
(IT) Slaver's Hut is complete.

2460 BC 30
Poly and $66 goes to the Vikings for the sail.
Poly and the sail go to Nubia for masonry and $32.
There is no chance to get the wheel from the Vikings.

Summary
Babylon already has a granary. The other two cities are working on them. We've already gotten our first free worker. Our first slaver will arrive during the next set.

I stopped at an odd number of turns with nothing invested in the next tech so that we can discuss the next choice.

I've circled a spot that is food weak, but will give our first luxury.

ROSTER:

LKendter
Greebley (up)
Northern Pike (on deck)
Jersey Joe
Elephantium

Attachments

• LK154-2420BC.SAV
    511 KB · Views: 222
This is our initial lands:

Questions: How often are we going to whip?
Are we going to have an early war?
What Government do we plan on changing to?

Checking in. I'd say we don't whip at all, unless an emergency arises.
Early war: Probably not...even just attacking Canton would take 30 turns or so to set up IMO.
Government: I'm not sure; I'll have to re-read the tech tree!

As Tusker says, we basically never whip. The issue of getting use out of population that would otherwise be stuck at size six doesn't arise in CCM.

We don't attack as early as this, but we do usually conquer our first enemy with ancient units.

Our default government in CCM is monarchy.

With the ocean and the North Pole shielding us at half the points of the compass, this looks like a safe start strategically.

Our next settler should try to claim the cow four tiles NW of Assur before the Chinese do. Failing that it can try for the cow SE of Babylon.

LK, a great start, especially with our building Slaver's Hut so early. :thumbsup:

Based on the answers from Tusker and NP here are my thoughts on what should be the next 6 techs we research.
I would stay in the bottom 1/2 of the tech table. Mysticism->Writing->Math->Philosophy (blub Religion?) ->Code of Laws->Monarchy.

If we do go for Mysticism, I would switch the granaries being built to temples, plus build a temple in Babylon, so we have the 3 temples needed to get Islam when we finish Mysticism.

With the ocean and the North Pole shielding us at half the points of the compass, this looks like a safe start strategically.

You just had contact with the Vikings. Enslavers from this civ can be especially nasty as the Scandinavians are seafaring and sometimes land them with their ships. Don´t forget, that even when the AI is landing an invisible unit from the sea (like an enslaver), the game shows the landing for a very short time. Additionally it could be a good idea to have a ship watching for a nearing Viking ship. The Scandinavians tend to build the slaver´s hut very early.

That southern cow also has 2 fish in range. Once we get a harbor in the city, the food will pour in.

Nineveh was really easy for the slavers hut. Once the borders expanded we had 3 tiles with a shield, along with 1 chop to get it quickly. I've only played CCM in one Rat game, but I know how painful lack of workers early on. We need those slave workers.

I have a warrior working toward the furs. We really want to find out if any food around. We need luxuries already.

With being CCM I know our cities will get larger, so we don't wan the standard civ overlap. This variant is about well spread out cities.

Every one but Greebley has comment. Of course, he is the next one up waiting for a got it. ;)

@Jersey Joe - another critical concept with CCM. All workers should be protected by at least one unit. I want a lot more warriors from Babylon to get a second warrior onto each worker stack. A single worker loss this early is very painful.

I'm still having this problem when I try to load a CCM 1.8 save:

Unfortunately this does not seem to be a simple issue with the PediaIcons text file; the Angkor Wat icon is numbered 136 as Civinator said (back in 2014, at the end of the Rat45 thread) it should be, and is in the same format (regarding hyphens, etc.) as various other icons that aren't causing trouble.

So, I'd be glad of any advice from this knowledgeable team. Is it possible to uninstall and then reinstall CCM? Might a new installation over the existing installation help?

I have folders designated PediaIcons and PediaIcons 1.4, but no PediaIcons 1.8--is this relevant?

I'm still having this problem when I try to load a CCM 1.8 save:

Spoiler :

Unfortunately this does not seem to be a simple issue with the PediaIcons text file; the Angkor Wat icon is numbered 136 as Civinator said (back in 2014, at the end of the Rat45 thread) it should be, and is in the same format (regarding hyphens, etc.) as various other icons that aren't causing trouble.

So, I'd be glad of any advice from this knowledgeable team. Is it possible to uninstall and then reinstall CCM? Might a new installation over the existing installation help?

I have folders designated PediaIcons and PediaIcons 1.4, but no PediaIcons 1.8--is this relevant?
I can open the LK154 save without any problems, but when I try to open one of the CCM saves from the SGs you played with theRat I get that Angkor Wat error.

I only have a PediaIcons.txt file no other "pedia" files.
Here are some of the lines from my PediaIcons.txt (in red)
#ICON_BLDG_Angkor_Wat
SINGLE
art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\AngkorWatlarge.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\AngkorWatsmall.pcx
#ICON_BLDG_The_Great_Palace

Instead of just patching a few lines, I would download the current version of CCM-Betatest.rar and completely replace the CCM-Betatest folder.

Preturn: Since noone else mentioned a plan of attack, I will go with Jersey Joe's plan and switch to temples.

IBT: Statue of Zeus Completes

2380 BC: There is a second Lux near the beavers. Not sure if we should try to grab both.
New Defender in Babylon allows us to lower lux to 10% for a while.
Babylon is building 3rd Temple.

2100 BC: Debated about going after the 2 Lux first, but since we are doing the
Religion, I think we can go for the Cow to the North first which is in more danger of being taken.
First Slaver built. Lux was Raised to 20% again.

2060 BC: We kill a wandering Warrior but no slave with the Slaver for first blood.

IBT: Spot a Settler for China. It is heading in our general direction.

2020 AD: I am wondering if we could enslave the Settler.
Finished the Temple. Ships are fairly cheap so I may build 2.

IBT: Our scout is gone. China's Enslaver at work, most likely.

1860 AD: Built Ellipi near cow on a hill as it is closest to China.
Babylon's Temple finishes so I build another Enkidu.

1780 BC: Building the Islamic Communities. First finished and started another Enkidu.

1740 BC: This is turn 50 and where I am stopping

Notes:
Played to an even 50 turns (under victory conditions).

I am building a Enkidu in Ellipi to go with the Slaver there and cover him from random attacks. There was a settler that might be heading toward us which I think would give us 2 slaves? It was where the red circle is in 1820 bc or so. However, slaver can't wander due to other units in red circle seen very recently.

There will be a tree chop for Babylon in 3 turns.

Made roads to our choices of town sites. I think the 2 Lux is better to go for next and then the cow to the south. There is a Beaver north of us.

Gentlemen, thanks for your advice. :hatsoff: I take it I can just drop the new install in on top of the old, without attempting any sort of uninstall?

I suspect if you delete the old CCM directory that should be good enough to install the new version.

ROSTER:

LKendter
Greebley
Northern Pike (up)
Jersey Joe (on deck)
Elephantium

Mysticism is 5 turns away, any thoughts about starting a prebuild for the oracle in Babylon (if anything is available to prebuild) or maybe Nineveh?

Top Bottom