Can someone please help me with freezing? Never been able to finish a single game!!!!

quaxon

Chieftain
Hey guys, I have an awesome computer that should easily be able to run Civ V at max settings without breaking a sweat:

AMD phenom ii x6 @ 3.6 GHz (six core black version)

HD 6950 GPU flashed to 6970

4 gigs ram

win 7 x64 with dx 11

I haven't tried playing without mods on this machine, but I have tried playing with only like one or two mods (common ones too that are top rated) and I always play on the biggest map possible with the most city states. The mods I am trying to use now are:

Remove road maintenance
scout+worker start
Total Mod Alpha
City State Diplomacy mod 2.91 (v. 10)
Reduced Maintenance (v. 3)

I get constant freezes between turns that completely freezes everything but the mouse and I have to ctrl+alt+del. back to desktop before it fully crashes. I have tried to play it in dx 9 but same thing happens as well as a bunch of random graphic glitches that dont happen with dx 11

Last night it got to a point pretty early in the game (around 120 turns) and no matter what every time I try to go to next turn it freezes.

I have the newest update installed and no other game ever freezes or even so much as hiccups after playing for hours on this machine (Portal 2, Crysis 2, FO3NV, GTA IV, Dirt 3, etc.) and I run all my games on max settings with 1080p ratio. Is there anything I can do to fix this or is this a common problem? any help is appreciated as I want to finish my game sooo bad!!!! Thanks.

Well unfortunately you got ATI. CiV is well know for having trouble with all ATI cards... also could it be is that "reduce road maintance" and "reduced maintenance" mods are both conflicting, since they do both reduce maintance.
Try narrowing down the mods to a few, or download a big compilation pack instead of having many mods unrelated activated together (Such thing can make the game unstable).

Other things you can try are the common "validate the game cache", delete mods caché and or trying new saves to see if the problem is still there.
Cheers.

Hey guys, I have an awesome computer that should easily be able to run Civ V at max settings without breaking a sweat:

AMD phenom ii x6 @ 3.6 GHz (six core black version)

HD 6950 GPU flashed to 6970

4 gigs ram

win 7 x64 with dx 11

I haven't tried playing without mods on this machine, but I have tried playing with only like one or two mods (common ones too that are top rated) and I always play on the biggest map possible with the most city states. The mods I am trying to use now are:

Remove road maintenance
scout+worker start
Total Mod Alpha
City State Diplomacy mod 2.91 (v. 10)
Reduced Maintenance (v. 3)

I get constant freezes between turns that completely freezes everything but the mouse and I have to ctrl+alt+del. back to desktop before it fully crashes. I have tried to play it in dx 9 but same thing happens as well as a bunch of random graphic glitches that dont happen with dx 11

Last night it got to a point pretty early in the game (around 120 turns) and no matter what every time I try to go to next turn it freezes.

I have the newest update installed and no other game ever freezes or even so much as hiccups after playing for hours on this machine (Portal 2, Crysis 2, FO3NV, GTA IV, Dirt 3, etc.) and I run all my games on max settings with 1080p ratio. Is there anything I can do to fix this or is this a common problem? any help is appreciated as I want to finish my game sooo bad!!!! Thanks.

try to check on the icon of civ5 properties/compatibility and change it to your operation system (mine was win95 while i was running it under win7 ultimate 64 bits)
also run it as administrator
greetings
jan

i run it with an ati card to and all runs very good so it isent your video card

Hi all,
I have had a lot of problems with the game freezing up also. I have Windows Vista, an AMD quad core processor, 2 GB RAM, EVGA GS 430 video card with 1 GB vram. Since the last patch, the game has played for quite a while and reaches a point where it always stops at the same turn. The last game stops on the turn change at turn 356. It's really frustrating when you're doing well in the game and it freezes up and can't go on. I've tried going back to different saves and it still does it. There is something wrong when mods cause the game to freeze, mods shouldn't cause that serious an issue. If I play without mods the game is much more stable. But to me there's too many things I don't like about playing without mods. I think the map size is a significant factor in how much demand there is on the pc. I've also noticed that I can tell when it's about to freeze up. When it's changing turns, the sound will stop for maybe a second, then play again, then stop. When the sound stops the second time, it's frozen. Has anyone else noticed this? I updated my EVGA drivers once but the update was worse, so I rolled back. I also have a big monitor, a 24 inch wide screen. The game may have an issue with big monitors, not sure.

Hi all,
I have had a lot of problems with the game freezing up also. I have Windows Vista, an AMD quad core processor, 2 GB RAM, EVGA GS 430 video card with 1 GB vram. Since the last patch, the game has played for quite a while and reaches a point where it always stops at the same turn. The last game stops on the turn change at turn 356. It's really frustrating when you're doing well in the game and it freezes up and can't go on. I've tried going back to different saves and it still does it. There is something wrong when mods cause the game to freeze, mods shouldn't cause that serious an issue. If I play without mods the game is much more stable. But to me there's too many things I don't like about playing without mods. I think the map size is a significant factor in how much demand there is on the pc. I've also noticed that I can tell when it's about to freeze up. When it's changing turns, the sound will stop for maybe a second, then play again, then stop. When the sound stops the second time, it's frozen. Has anyone else noticed this? I updated my EVGA drivers once but the update was worse, so I rolled back. I also have a big monitor, a 24 inch wide screen. The game may have an issue with big monitors, not sure.

I doubt your monitor's the problem. Mods are unstable, as is. Even there was a experiment that somebody created a mod that did nothing and still they got more crashes than without mods.
The best thing you can do is to look for a big modpack that have all you want and use just that mod, ensuring compatibility. Using many different mods at once is a major factor to crashes.
And what do you mean it freezes? It freezes the computer, forcing restart? Or just the game? Because I've just had some hangs some days before and I've fixed them by deleting the graphicsettings.ini on MyGames folders (Something was screwed up).

And what do you mean it freezes? It freezes the computer, forcing restart? Or just the game? Because I've just had some hangs some days before and I've fixed them by deleting the graphicsettings.ini on MyGames folders (Something was screwed up).

It is the game that freezes for me, I have to do CTRL-ALT-DEL to get out of the game. PC is running ok once I get out of the game. I don't really run a lot of mods at once. I usually use some of the mods that add additional wonders, like Solomon's Temple, Plato's academy. I like the Religions and Corporations mod, the no nukes mod, and the Farm mod that adds gold from Farms. But I've tried other mods and I don't usually see much difference which mod in terms of stability of the game, unless you pick a mod that is not intended to be compatible with the new build of the game. I haven't tried deleting the graphicssettings.ini. I may take a look at that.

Try a game without any mods and see what happens. Also varify for corrupted files in steam. If you do not varify the files and keep crashing, you are bound to have a few that could have been corrupted.

Well unfortunately you got ATI. CiV is well know for having trouble with all ATI cards... also could it be is that "reduce road maintance" and "reduced maintenance" mods are both conflicting, since they do both reduce maintance.
Try narrowing down the mods to a few, or download a big compilation pack instead of having many mods unrelated activated together (Such thing can make the game unstable).

Other things you can try are the common "validate the game cache", delete mods caché and or trying new saves to see if the problem is still there.
Cheers.

First I've heard about problems with ATI cards... :S

Top Bottom