A few ideas...

Michael92

Chieftain
Hey, I'd like to have a discussion about a few ideas and how they could be implemented in Civ V or future versions without unbalancing gameplay.

(1) Two new types of City-States, Academic and Industrious. Pretty self-explanatory. Academic CS will provide a science bonus and Industrious CS will provide a production bonus.

The only problem I could think of is that science is broken in the game already, and adding another way to progress through the tech tree faster will serve only to weaken other approaches.

(2) The ability to have multi-way diplomacy. I know the World Congress provides this but not on a big enough scale. I would like the ability to make alliances (think Axis/Allies) and trade pacts. In later eras ideologies would heavily come into play here. I think this is a feature which could add an interesting layer to the game.

Thoughts?

Firstly, this should be under Ideas and Suggestions
Secondly, I think the Industrious and Academic CSs would be ridiculously overpowered. In the early game, befriending an Industious CS early game would net you, like what, 3 production? Early on that could make a lot of difference. Too much difference, really. Same goes for Academic.
Trade pacts would be nice. Instead of relying on Friendhips, you can trade with such a thing.
And i also think Alliances are not represented enough by Declaration Of Friendship.
Why not scrap the Defensive Pacts completely and introduce an Alliance system like you have with CSs. Allies declare war with Allies, if they'd like it or not.

Well... A Maritime CS already gives you science and production. But very little (1.5 extra tiles worked in cap, 0.5 in other cities) and slow (needs to grow first) and with all the downsides (unhappiness from growth). So it's already kinda in the game... and as you see the benefit is very little in raw science/production as anything else probably would be op as hell.

How about instead of a flat bonus (+2 hammers etc) the bonus was given as a percentage? Although, this could also be overpowered.

The ability to make alliances is one thing they should have had in the base game. I'd rather have this feature than the world congress. Although both of them would work really well. And it might make getting a DV harder.

A bit redundant with what we already have.

All city states give you science once you unlock Scholasticism.

Maritime city states give you both science and production indirectly by increasing grow and allowing your citizens to work more production tiles.

Military city states is the outright production city states, but you can't choose what to build. These make a huge difference on you hammers allowing you to build less units.

I would think your idea can be good if you at the same time changed Scholasticism and changed military city states to give you extra experience or unique promotions instead.
Scholasticism could eg be changed to give allied city states a combat bonus.

Top Bottom