Optimal set of opponents

vusalgustav

Chieftain
I am planning a new game: Emperor, Large, Pangea plus, All victory conditions, 3 billion year, low sea level, 12 civs and 20 CSs.

Civilization of my choosing is going to be either China or random.

I would like to assemble the most optimal set of opponents which will strive for different types of victories.

What is your opinion? Which civs should I choose for opponents?

Some of the civs which I consider are the following:

Germany (warmongaring)
Greece (city states)
Arabia (money making)
Korea (science)
Inca (there are going to be a lot of hills)
Russia (strategic resources)
Brasil (tourism)
France (culture)
Poland (social policies)

Well, I think it'd be hard to pin down a set of opponents that are completely optimal for every game, and besides, just pure random can be fun! However, besides the civs you mentioned, maybe some of the following would make for an interesting game:

*Austria/Venice (City-State annexation)
*Ethiopia/Celts (Religion)
*Spain (Aggressive)
*Ottomans (Naval focus)
*Siam (Just annoying, so you won't feel bad when you kill him.)

Germany isn't actually that much of a warmonger by AI - Napoleon is actually more so. If you really want that element, add the Zulu, the Aztecs, Japan, or Carthage. The Zulu are the worst of those.

Arabia is your only civ that's really into religion, you could add the Maya if you want someone else spamming great prophets.

I'd second the suggestion of Venice for the city states being bought up, and he has more of a gold focus than Arabia.

I'd suggest you get rid of Brazil as your cultural opponent, especially if you're going to have a warmonger on the map. I can't think many games I've played where Brazil wasn't killed horribly by some other AI, often before I even meet him. Most of the other times, I wipe him out to try and take over some brazilwood camps.

I'd personally go for a more hardcore warmonger than Germany, and I'd add more than one. Get the Huns out there, or the Zulus, or the Aztecs. They'll start pitching their weight around.

Alex is good competition for diplomacy. Add Siam for some extra diplomacy nuisance, and just all around obnoxiousness too.

To sum up, I admire your attempt but I think this kind of map-cooking is often in vain. It'll fall heavily on where each individual civ ends up. If your culture opponent ends up next to the Huns, don't expect competition in that regard haha.

Top Bottom