CivOne - An Open Source remake of Civilization 1

I have some doubts. Hope darkpanda shows up to help soon. For now, I think the starting position implementation is close enough: http://imgur.com/a/UlCMz

Edit:
Thanks to darkpanda, the starting positions are now the same as the original game.

Edit 2 (24 May):
I'm still alive, just didn't have a lot of time the past couple of days... don't worry, I haven't given up.

it is nice to see you back! I am the one who love the non-isometric view of the civilization, that's the reason why I can't play OpenCiv and Civ2, so I am looking forward to your project! Best wishes to you!

Civ 6 is coming out, I just found out today. I couldn't care less!

I've played Civ 1,2, 3 and 4. Civ 1 and Civ 3 are my favourites. Civ 4 became unnecessarily complex, in my view.

Civ 1 and Civ 3 have issues though, that begin to annoy me after playing them for many hours. The AI in Civ 1 makes "surprise attacks" all the time for no logical reason, even when doing so will invite their own doom. Also, the AI will never be friendly with you from beginning to end. It would be nice if you could get actually manage to maintain a peaceful relationship with some of the AI throughout the game! The way the AI cheats in Civ 1 drove me nuts too! Ships that never sink, and the AI walking on your developed land. Civ 3 also has suicide attacks, where small nations will declare war on larger nations, for no logical reason, but at least they aren't "surprise attacks." And I'm sure there were also some other annoyances that I can't recall right now.

I have plans for some sort of modding API in a future version, including the ability to bind a certain AI to different leaders. My first focus, though, is to to implement the original AI.

Sorry for the lack of updates, btw. I'm still working on CivOne but I'm moving to a new home soon so that takes up some time...

Hi.

i have tried to download visual studio to compile civone, but it fail (or i fail, i'm not a pro with this thing)

why you don't share an .exe directly usable ? i'm curious to test your program, it seems cool.

Hi MiGaNuTs,
The game is not yet playable, as in: You can skip turns and delete units, so you can lose the game. The Civilopedia is fully implemented. I want to finish some more before releasing the first version, but I can post a binary. I'll try to upload a precomiled exe later today.

Thanks. i'm curious to see your job, it's look like a good start. I understand it's not finish, Rome was not made in 640 days ;-)

Thank you for your interest.
I have attached a precompiled version of CivOne (for Windows) with this post. Simply extract it to any folder and run it. Please, leave the .exe file in the bin folder, or it will not work properly!
The game will ask for the original Civilization for Dos files and copy the files, after that it will run.

If you want to load save files from the original game, you can copy them to ./saves/{drive_letter}.
If anything is unclear, please let me know.

Edit:
The game is made with .NET 4.0, so it should run on Windows XP with SP3 and higher, but I've only tested it on Windows 10. Please let me know your system/software specs and how the game performs.

To run the setup for the game, you should open a command prompt or make a shortcut and run CivOne.exe setup. At a release of the game, I will make it easier to install, run and setup the game.

It's alive ! cool :)
I use win7 and french civ 374.05
I can start a new game, but not load my saved games.

My brother has just given me the complete set of CIV 1-3 on CD ROM. I am running windows 10.
I installed the CD Rom onto my computer but when i go to run the application for CIV 1 it says "This app can't run on your PC"

I then tried your CIVone file above and it keeps coming up with "file not found: FONTS.CV"

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated because now i am getting that irresistable urge to be playing some CIV 1 right now, as im sure you know what i mean.

Cheers,

Dr Kenneth

Use dosbox to play civ 1
There is a topic somewhere on this forum for help with this.

The AI in Civ 1 makes "surprise attacks" all the time for no logical reason, even when doing so will invite their own doom.

There is a perfectly logical reason for almost all of these 'surprise attacks': being too strong. On difficulty levels above chieftain, if you are at #1 on the powergraph, all Civs with more than 1 city will declare war on you until you have nuclear weapons. It's probably the biggest flaw with the AI imo.

well, I've made my trip in USA, my child was born and is growing up and this topic is still silent) It is good that some things never changes)))) just kidding, how it's going?

Hi, I just moved to a new home, half of my stuff is still in boxes but at least my computer is up and running again. I'm currently working up the courage to continue writing code.
Still got that full time job taking up a lot of precious time.

I've got some code from hannurabi which I'm going to implement. I hope to get it implemented. We should be able to play a game from start to end soon, with a passive AI.

Please, be patient...

Hey SWY,

Good luck with the new developments in your life.

I really appreciate your effort in doing this, and the prodigy like talent you have to come with updates in short bursts. You make it sound easy, and I know it is not.

I am also checking on your civone.com site from time to time.

I am looking forward (patiently) for updates :)

Thank you

Good day! Every day I come here and check the news))

I hope the original music will remain))
And some wishes:
- to make barbarians more smart, if possibly to make them like an alone-standing civilization
- after some period barbarians do not attack, or attack with old stuff, but in life we see another picture (Somali pirates) It will be great to make them more stronger
- I like diplomacy very much. I suppose, that my komrades should appreciate the fact that I didn't attack them at all and they should be much more peacefull to me
- should i mention about possibilty of pikeman to destroy a tank?

Thanks for you job!

As this is going to be a clone, the goal is to keep the original music and sounds. The music/sounds are a bit difficult, and it will probably be one of the last features to get implemented. I have managed to reverse engineer part of how the music files work, I'm sure I'll figure them out eventually.

Now, about the AI, the barbarians and the diplomacy. I will first and foremost attempt to implement the original routines for these. I will, however, create a modding API so a custom AI could be loaded as a plugin.

My plan for the future, once I get far enough in the development, is to provide several ways of creating mods. Graphics (skins), text (language packs) mods and custom maps will not require any programming skills. New content such as custom AI, new or custom tech trees and new Civilizations will require some programming efforts but I want to provide samples (in C#, VB.NET and F#) that most people should be able to comprehend and modify.

Last but not least, I want to create the possibility to play the game on multiplayer mode.

All developments that extend or modify the game possibilities have a very, very low priority though... unless they are useful for development/debugging purposes. My first goal is to make the game fully playable. That is not far off, if I can find the time and motivation to keep working on the game. I will try my best.

For those following the development: I have just committed some new code to GitHub, allowing units to move. I am hopeful to get some features implemented over the next few weeks, working toward the possibility to play the game from start to end with a passive AI.
I will upload a new binary soon. Please, please, keep posting in this topic. It keeps me motivated. Thank you for the support! :goodjob:

Hello, dear creator!
*you could read this text like with the voice of Apu from Simspons*
Well, I have downloadedbought an civ game, extract it to a folder. Then I put the archive into the bin directory to the directory with the game's files.
1. Why after that the game asks me to show the path to files?
2. After I have choosed everything the game showned me the error.
https://s12.postimg.org/kun84ki25/civ_error.jpg
That's all)
Win7 64x

Top Bottom