Short fun game (immortal)

Played till 1120BC - not much time now so only a short report... guess you had enough to read from me yesterday ;)

Made my suggested changes, moscow to gold novgorod starting a granary.

Builds were:

Moscow - rax > granary (whipped) > chariot > library
St. Pete - worker > monument (whipped) > granary
Novgorod - monument (whipped) > granary

I whipped all 3 builds on the same turn :p

Teching: Writing > Meditation (turned research to 0% after Writing finished)

Events:

Hit enter and get a forest fire near Moscow :D what an irony... I did get your opinion to keep all the forests hehe and paid the 10g...

Early found 2 more neighbors, gandhi and mao. There goes the religious lovefest... looks like there are 2 continents, us 5 and the 2 remaining AIs. This will be an interesting game :yup:

At some point some sucky barb archer from down south threatens moscow... That's why I whipped the granary (2pop) as the overflow exactly completes the chariot required to ensure safety in russia :p Note how (late) SH got built and how the barbs settled on the stone... This turn, we lost 4 pop overall hehe ;)

OFC we kill the archer

---

I'm not too happy with the two granaries I am building, we rather need workers and settlers. However, the cities need to grow anyway.

There is an english settling party approaching. Not sure where he'll settle, either in the jungle or near the silk.

The fish site was taken by biz as expected.

We have an interesting layout of the map and great land to settle up south. We might want to consider adapting our research plans sightly...

Churchill settling party:

Overview of the land:

Save:

View attachment Short quickie BC-1120.CivBeyondSwordSave

edit:
Shyuhe is up, ras :)old:) on deck ;)

Looks good - I'll have to examine thes ave for more comments.

Moscow should probably start a settler at size 4, and St. P a worker at size 4 (whipped). We have enough farms and can use whip overflow into the infra builds. I think we need to push towards the wheat site as that's probably next on Bizzy's list. Hopefully IW will give us what we need to take the barb city.

As for the jungle, I see two spots - one on the northern sugar (or 2 tiles south of that) and the other to grab the western resources (1 or 2 S of ivory). I think we can get the sugar site as #5.

Yay, for once the barbs hit the city on the right spot :)

I don't see that much that has changed our plans, except the land between the mountain ranges in the jungle is great. Losing the English Banana wouldn't hurt that much if we could claim the northernmost middle Banana and maybe fit another city south of it to overlap Pete's Pig. Funny how everyone else is at 3 cities except Gandhi at 5 :p

Diplo wise, I see a big chance that we can just stay at NSR and out of harm's way. Biz is the most probable to come our way and by the looks of his land I'm not afraid.

By the way, for people like me who use BUG in CustomAssets normally, you can avoid the CustomAssets-renaming ordeal by changing "NoCustomAssets = 0" to = 1 in Mods/BUFFY-3.19.001/BUFFY-3.19.001.ini .

Nice barb city placement. :D

:goodjob: saving the forest!

I think we should rush some settlers, and go something like: 2N of southern banana; NNE of gems; SW of wheat. Not sure about city placement, but we need to block all that off from Mao.

Some comments on the save...

We should connect the corn asap, no point settling more health resources if we don't link the ones inside our borders... I feel we lack some more workers also. novgorod could start one size 3 and St pet size 4... Moscow could start a settler after its lib...

Novgorod future worker should go straight to the cow, St pet one finish corn then road fp sw of the city. Moscow worker should go on the corn now :)

4th city: Winston is already at the banana north of St pet... I feel we should settle near the sugar resources to block the west then settle copper/banana, ivory/gems, wheat/fish in a short succession... I am not sure of the dotmap though... plenty of possibilities here...

I would focus on rexing now, as I feel we are a bit behind in this area :)

Ras

PS: I edited my post, was upset for RL reasons when I first opened the save, and did overeacted a bit... apologies for that, this is a game, I should know best :)

^ I agree, and with your original post. I thought we'd have another worker immediately, and the wheat settler by 1000 BC. Corn and St. Pete not being connected is a bit frustrating - I think cottages should come after these things and a hill mine, maybe also ivory. I don't have time for a careful post now (gotta run for the rest of the night), so I'll post my thoughts tmr morning. We're not in a bad position or anything, we just need to REX hard in the north.

PS: I don't think Biz will settle wheat/gold next. In my testing, he went Hamburg - Munich exactly as in game, then settled a crap city south of Berlin. I think AI's prefer to not go into a second ring of cities until they fill the first. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Cottage before roads here is a bit questionable given the game speed, but otherwise I think everything is fine.

Tentative plan:

Moscow: grow to size 6, then swap to settler and whip it. Re-grow while completing the library.

St. P: grow to size 4, then swap to worker and whip it. Re-grow on granary.

Novgorod: change to worker (5 turns), then back to granary.

Research - turn off until Moscow finishes its library, then turn on to 100% and complete meditation--PH.

Southern worker roads corn then starts roading towards wheat. Northern worker finishes corn then moves to the grass hill to chop and mine it. New worker at St. P roads the city to the network, then farms, then roads towards pig. New worker at Novgorod worker pastures cow then farms.

Plan looks perfect to me. Playing with you mad whippers makes me notice I'm going way too easy on my populace in solo games...

I too would probably skipped some Granaries and cottages in favor of settler/worker/roading but we can catch up pretty easily from this position now that the infra is in place. Only "real" mistake I notice is not connecting the Corn. The AIs seem to be expanding pretty slowly. Tied with cities with everyone but Gandhi, even with the slight lull in expanding :)

^ I've never whipped this much in a solo game. :lol:

@shyuhe,
I'd camp the ivory soonish. It lets us grow Moscow to 7 (or 6 with whip anger) - this will be useful when the library is complete. I don't think we should be whipping after this round, but run some scientists... I don't know, maybe pre-roading wheat is better.

St. Pete needs a garrison; that chariot could heal in there, but may be better to swap it with one of the warriors while the city's re-growing from next whip?

I think we need to really rush some settlers north. Not sure of the timeline, but I imagine we can't really count on land we haven't settled or blocked by 1AD. Their expansion rate will ramp up. Luckily, the mountains help with blocking, but I find the dotmap kinda tricky. This is my shot at it:
Spoiler :

Hmmh, I missed there's also a Wheat up north. We could actually go about the way bbp proposed (with the distance, (3) will be settled around the same time as (2) or even before) and forget about the Bismarck-Wheat. Blocking land from him isn't as important (since he will be pretty crappy anyway) as preventing Churchill from becoming a Cathedralmountain. Still, the ol' Winston might throw a wrench in our plans 3 turns in the next set with his settler party. In that case both (1) and (3) could be 1S to better use our food resources.

By the way, those Infill marks look like those stickers on fruit. Not sure why I mentioned it, but there it is. :lol:

Yep, depends on him a lot. I'm assuming he's going to take the closest Banana, or at least I keep that as the most probable option. In that case (1) SSE and (3) S or even SS is an option, but then we'd need to also hurry the orange fruit marker. (1) SS feels like a waste of space (hills!).

Generally, losing a green Jumbos isn't an end of the world (as we'd still get the resource, just not the yield) but wasting Sugar is a slightly bigger crime :)

I disagree with three... if three means the order of settlement. Churchill is sending a settler already in the area, a second one could very well follow in 5 turns and screw all our beautifull dotmap... this is immortal folks, I find it already really weird that neighboring AIs have only two cities, I would not play with fire... I think this one must be first (at least send the settler waiting for IW).
Otherwise I quite like the position of cities :)

@team: I might be a bit quite next two days (moving of place tmr)

^ I was actually basing the viability of (3) third on the fact that Churchill is sending one in that direction right now. IMO that means it's pretty improbable he's sending another in the same direction (but further) right after instead of N, NW or S. Mao on the other hand looks to be very tight on settlable space since he settled Guangzhou so far away from Shanghai.

This conversation would be much more fruitful if we knew where Churchill's settler is heading, maybe play a mini-set until then? :) Couldn't we also scout England with Writing and all or was he someone's WE?

^ I was actually basing the viability of (3) third on the fact that Churchill is sending one in that direction right now. IMO that means it's pretty improbable he's sending another in the same direction (but further) right after instead of N, NW or S. Mao on the other hand looks to be very tight on settlable space since he settled Guangzhou so far away from Shanghai.

I was thinking the same thing. (EDIT: Same reason I don't think we'd need to worry about wheat/gold for some time - though that point's moot if we go with north expansion)

I expect he'll settle 1E or 1NE of banana, as that's about the right distance from London. The south banana is a goner. The north banana, however, is up in the air. Churchill's and Mao's next settlers might be gunning for it, so we need to beat them to it. Settling right next to it means either giving up a coastal city or having an incomplete block until the orange infill site, unfortunately (meaning we need to get there and have a fast border pop).

Maybe a 2-3t mini-set is in order, since we don't have any decisions to make 'till then.

EDIT: I don't know what the WE sitch is. OB right now sounds good - gives us plenty of time to cancel for the land block.

So people would prefer to skip the southern wheat for the northern one? The only reason I don't like that is because it takes forever to get a city up there connected to Moscow, which needs health more than anything. Moscow can also whip a second settler once it hits size 6 again (which should be fast) to grab something up north.

Novgorod edit: worker, grow to 3, then another worker to hook up ivory.

St. P edit: whipped worker roads to the network, then starts transcontinental road into the jungle in preparation for city #5.

I think the Corn and Cow for +3 immediate health (as there's already a Granary everywhere pretty much :) ) is enough of a stopgap until we get Wheat/Sheep/Fish online, especially if we're still whipping everywhere instead of scientists.

Reason I didn't consider ambitious North settling so much so far was that there wasn't any food visible on the western coast. Now with the double food resource site there it's looking much better.

All this underlines the massive need for a stronger worker force much more. Long distances, priority road networking, huge jungle, many FPs...

Top Bottom