Will it work on XP SP2

Wakan

Chieftain
Hi!
I know that xp sp2 is not officially supported, but I'd like to know it will work nevertheless. Has someone tried and succeded?
I don't want to buy the game if I can't run it, and I can't afford a new computer (I'll stay with civ 4 then :lol:)
I think I saw some people on the forum saying they did it, but I just can't remember where...
Thanks

Wakan - or any other - could you tell me if you managed to get it to work on XP SP2?
I'm currently having problems running the game, and I would like to find out if it has to do with me being on XP SP2.
Thanks in advance.

Why would you need to upgrade your computer for SP3 :confused:

I'm sure you'll find it stupid, but as a rule I never fix something that is not broken.
My computer works fine and is very stable, so I don't want to mess it with sp3

I'm sure you'll find it stupid, but as a rule I never fix something that is not broken.
My computer works fine and is very stable, so I don't want to mess it with sp3

I certainly can understand that ;)
I clinged myself to MS-DOS, Win98SE and WinXP long after it was considered obsolete, after all, it was working just fine :lol:
Until some nice stuff came around that just wouldn't work anymore :D

SP3 has been "in the wild" for a virtual eternity, and any potential problem should have manifested itself by now (and been fixed). And it comprised quite a lot of changes, so there is probably a good reason 2K states SP3 as required. Just try the demo ;)

I am like the poster above. I am running XP SP2. "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". My system is super stable on sp2 and i like all the mods with my sp2. i don't want to change my os.

Will this run on XP sp2?

If you all refuse to change to SP3, there is still the demo. You do not have to buy the demo. If it loads the intro video and the leader-head screens, then you will probably be able to play the game just fine. The leader head graphics seem to be the worse offenders on below specs machines. YES the demo is the full version, well at least before all the patches, and before all the last minute changes that caused the need for all the new patches. Yes you do have to download 4 gigs of information. No, that download will not work on the "purchased" game. Yes, you will have to re-download unless you buy the disc. However the disc is really not that special, since you might as well download the patched version from steam, and yes it will probably take as long to patch it as well.

Just wanted to respond back...

SP2 works perfectly fine with Civ 5.

Hope this helps anybody that's in my shoes.

Top Bottom