Things that irk you

Just thought I'd start a funny thread of things that irk you about the game that aren't exactly important. For instance, this isn't about how the AI is horrible at war, or about how bad Japan's UU is, but little nonsensical things that just make you go :rolleyes:

GENERIC versus SPECIFIC NATIONAL WONDERS

Ok. I'm going to build a NATIONAL COLLEGE and a NATIONAL EPIC, yet I'm also going to build an EAST INDIA COMPANY and CIRCUS MAXIMUS. The first two are generic names; the second two are specific. This drives me crazy. For instance, there's only 1 Circus Maximus in the world (in Rome), so how can it be a Nat'l Wonder? Just make them all generic for consistency's sake! :crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye:

ONE SKIN SHADE FOR ALL
Who are those Caucasian Swiss spearmen about to invade me? Oh, it's just Shaka's all-white Zulu army. What's that strange white knight about to attack? Oh, it's just Pachacuti's all-white Incan army. The game needs diversity by default. I know there's several mods out there, but nothing makes me roll my eyes more than the lack of respect for the different nations of the world. You'd think the 5th iteration of CIV would get it right? :confused: :confused::confused:

RANDOM UNIT MOVEMENT BUGS THAT MAKE NO SENSE
Ever had one of those battles where you take down an archer with your warriors, where one of the warriors charges in WAY AFTER after the battle ended? Or my favorite, a single soldier that spins in a hundred directions after moving to a new spot, keeping the game from going on for about 10 seconds. So bizarre! :dunno::dunno::dunno:

I've been wondering about Circus Maximus and Hermitage and the likes - although East India Company is much less wrong because it isn't really unique in real life either.

As for the random movement, I don't really know what you're talking about. Animation bugging? I play with quick movement and quick combat on at all times so I wouldn't know.

I dont mind the East India Company, because there actually were many of those. The Circus Maximus does bother me a bit. Lack of diversity in unit graphics is really annoying, even more considering the amount of detail they put into leaderscreens.

About leader screens...Monty saying "emperador de los Aztecas" ugh, 3 things, he is using spanish there, second "Aztec" is a modern term, the correct one would be Mexicas, and third there was no need to use "emperador" as Tlatoani is the title to use, and anyone who speaks Nahuatl should know it, which makes me wonder how did that happen?

-While we are at the Aztecs...mesoamericans choosing Catholicism.

-Unit graphics that dont dissapear when you garrison a city, they just look messy.

-Spain and Portugal without mediterranean City graphics, as well as the lack of Indian and Sub-saharan city graphics.

-Fictional natural wonders, I just dont see the need for them, I hate the Fountain of Youth and El Dorado. I get it that they were introduced for the New world scenario, but I cant help to think that we could have gotten actual natural wonder from the rest of the continent.

Getting unit upgrades and buildings that you do not have the tech for.

This needs to be changed!!! To be fair, I just learned Carthage got harbors from start of game. Though unit upgrades without tech has always been a bother.

What do you mean, unit upgrades without tech?

I forgot to mention this but personally I dislike militaristic City-States giving unique units, in particular Merchants of Venice. I'm working on a mod to remove this.

Just thought I'd start a funny thread of things that irk you about the game that aren't exactly important. For instance, this isn't about how the AI is horrible at war, or about how bad Japan's UU is, but little nonsensical things that just make you go :rolleyes:

GENERIC versus SPECIFIC NATIONAL WONDERS

Ok. I'm going to build a NATIONAL COLLEGE and a NATIONAL EPIC, yet I'm also going to build an EAST INDIA COMPANY and CIRCUS MAXIMUS. The first two are generic names; the second two are specific. This drives me crazy. For instance, there's only 1 Circus Maximus in the world (in Rome), so how can it be a Nat'l Wonder? Just make them all generic for consistency's sake! :crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye:

ONE SKIN SHADE FOR ALL
Who are those Caucasian Swiss spearmen about to invade me? Oh, it's just Shaka's all-white Zulu army. What's that strange white knight about to attack? Oh, it's just Pachacuti's all-white Incan army. The game needs diversity by default. I know there's several mods out there, but nothing makes me roll my eyes more than the lack of respect for the different nations of the world. You'd think the 5th iteration of CIV would get it right? :confused: :confused::confused:

RANDOM UNIT MOVEMENT BUGS THAT MAKE NO SENSE
Ever had one of those battles where you take down an archer with your warriors, where one of the warriors charges in WAY AFTER after the battle ended? Or my favorite, a single soldier that spins in a hundred directions after moving to a new spot, keeping the game from going on for about 10 seconds. So bizarre! :dunno::dunno::dunno:

1. Don't take name so literally, my head translate Circus Maximus as "Super Circus", so I have little problem with it.

2 and 3 aren't bother me so much (You could ask Shaka to upgrade his spearman army, "Oh! Now I know! It's Zulu army of... Impi... Crap."

Only thing bother me so much is
1. Can't they just find a way to make a button that's exclude a civ from being random as either player or AI, It's not hard to do, IMO.

2. In Civ6, They should find more creative way to distinguish civ. Well, different shade of colors is fine for 25 civs, but when the number go higher, there would be colors that's just painful to look at.

3. Change CS diplomacy and make DV becomes something like an investment, not atomic-age player-only bribery.

4.This is trivial one, If I want to play the game as Elizabeth with ten Elizabeth. I want to have good way to know which Elizabeth is denounce what Elizabeth.

I forgot to mention this but personally I dislike militaristic City-States giving unique units, in particular Merchants of Venice. I'm working on a mod to remove this.

Well you are rolling along, your warrior pops a hut. He upgrades to stick. Yet you do not have the tech yet. Even worse is, The Shoshone Pathfinder upgrades to 2nd level bows.

This can be game breaking if you have enough units.

You know what irks me? The fact the AI can tell you to move your troops from their border or declare war but you can not. :mad:

No, it really isn't. Having an early composite bowman is advantageous but you really need an insane amount of units and goody huts to get a consistent and overpowered result.

It really was overpowered in early vanilla, though, where I've heard it was possible to get more than one upgrade for the same unit, there could be trouble. A warrior upgrading to a spearman doesn't upset the balance of anything whatsoever because anyone can research spearmen in a couple of techs, but if the same spearman got lucky again twice or thrice you might wind up with renaissance soldiers in the ancient era.

I personally think its very cool! Because of this trait, Military city states are, together with Mercantile, my favorite to build some influence with.

You know what irks me? The fact the AI can tell you to move your troops from their border or declare war but you can not. :mad:

More like the AI can make you promise to move them, and if you promise to do so but don't move them, everyone will know that and hate you.

I personally think its very cool! Because of this trait, Military city states are, together with Mercantile, my favorite to build some influence with.

It just feels like a sad, slapped on system to make those things somewhat more useful to me. I'm modding it out to replace it another sad, slapped on system to make it better!

In addition to it just feeling a bit lazy, I think it does a poor job actually improving the general uninspiring feel around those military City-States. The UU is not guaranteed to be useful, getting the UU over and over again is likely to be even less useful, and once its time passes, a City-State reverts to gifting only plain units. I plan to replace the gifting system so they give good units consistently. Sort of an elite army, which the current militaristic City-States fail to deliver.

But enough talk of my mod, just wanted to say that I dislike the system.

Can you actually rename your national wonders? It would be cool if I can name NC-"Jade Hall" and Oxford-"Seoul University" and so on...

Here's another one. I just saw a screenshot of CIV IV and really missed how you could see each new building you've built in your cities. It was a great way of seeing just how much development each city had. CIV V does this very minimally. Besides wonders, all you can see is lighthouses, harbors, and coliseums, which makes me feel like the art department grew tired of modelling new buildings and just gave up at three.

I miss those outrageously fresh water-linked aqueducts from CIV IV most of all!!

I wish excessive use of coups would gain you negative diplomatic modifiers. I would love to see the Siam become hated worldwide with their never ending coup meddling.

Patronage finisher grants MoV and other GP's, Military City States grant combat units.

-the AI forward settles on me with a city that now has borders touching my borders. i had 2 units sitting at that border on watch/defense. the following turn it thinks im about to DoW and asks me to move my units from their border.
-a barb doesnt try to attack me but instead just keeps moving in front of me to slow down my exploration.
-moving the wrong unit in a stacked tile
-not getting new pop notifications after 5
-legacy warmonger penalties that last more than 100 turns
-AI covets my lands even though I only have my capital

From time to time, I try to swap the position of two units. You know, and injured unit for a healthy one or something. You get the white circle indicating that the move is valid, and the unit in the destination tile will also be moved to the source tile.

Click…One unit moves on top of the other….and the other one simply vanishes. Gone forever.

Total rage inducing bug. It’s been around forever, had it in my first BNW game.

From time to time, I try to swap the position of two units. You know, and injured unit for a healthy one or something. You get the white circle indicating that the move is valid, and the unit in the destination tile will also be moved to the source tile.

Click…One unit moves on top of the other….and the other one simply vanishes. Gone forever.

Total rage inducing bug. It’s been around forever, had it in my first BNW game.

:confused::confused::confused: Never had this happen to me before! Sounds terrible!

-legacy warmonger penalties that last more than 100 turns

I conquered a city-state under Iroquois protection at about turn 90-100(Standard), because 4 luxes around it looked so delicious and needed for my expansion. Hiawatha was the largest empire, biggest warmonger at turn 400 and he was bringing up my City-State invasion even if I didn't wage any wars(didn't even get attacked!) after then.

Top Bottom