Things that irk you

From time to time, I try to swap the position of two units. You know, and injured unit for a healthy one or something. You get the white circle indicating that the move is valid, and the unit in the destination tile will also be moved to the source tile.

Click…One unit moves on top of the other….and the other one simply vanishes. Gone forever.

Total rage inducing bug. It’s been around forever, had it in my first BNW game.

I've never encountered this, but frankly, I hate accidentally swapping two units in this manner just as much.

I conquered a city-state under Iroquois protection at about turn 90-100(Standard), because 4 luxes around it looked so delicious and needed for my expansion. Hiawatha was the largest empire, biggest warmonger at turn 400 and he was bringing up my City-State invasion even if I didn't wage any wars(didn't even get attacked!) after then.

i stole a CS worker at t45 (it was under protection of Shoshone), took one city from Inca at t80. He DoW'd me, btw. No other wars or aggressions for the rest of the game. t300 I still have warmonger penalties with 6 Civs. I was working on my first CV in BNW so they hated me for regular reasons like coveting land or wonders but how can I have warmonger status with 6 civs in t300 with those being the only 2 things I did all game long? yeah, it's irksome.

This one is kind of random, but I love hooking up hydro dams in cities with many river tiles. I had an excellent food city founded on two windy rivers. There were multiple good riverside resource tiles. This was going to be a truly epic hydro dam city. Right after I researched electricity, the city got swarmed by Atilla. I couldn't hold it and he just burned it to the ground! I didn't even care about losing the game, but Atilla just pissed on my dream like that. I've never forgiven him.

ONE SKIN SHADE FOR ALL
Who are those Caucasian Swiss spearmen about to invade me? Oh, it's just Shaka's all-white Zulu army. What's that strange white knight about to attack? Oh, it's just Pachacuti's all-white Incan army. The game needs diversity by default. I know there's several mods out there, but nothing makes me roll my eyes more than the lack of respect for the different nations of the world. You'd think the 5th iteration of CIV would get it right?

There's a mod that fixes all that. And also gives unique-looking units to most civs, so Americans have Sherman tanks, P-51 as fighters, etc etc ..

I'm surprised the geniuses at Firaxis didn't offer some money to the modders and failed to include the content in BNW.

How difficult would it be to reskin, slightly modify most units and make unique models for tanks/artillery/planes and so on?

The models in Civ are really low-poly.

Really, 2 pages of complaints and not one person mentioned the sorry excuse for the road system? I always end up with the most ******ed looking roads because they are close to each other. I have random circles, figure 8's, loops, and whatever else, all over my empire cause when building the roads the game has no idea what to do when roads get close or meet each other.

Also how about the fact that happiness is the biggest enemy in the game? No other civ's have any luxory resources to trade, I can't build any buildings that increase happiness, and my people are pissed off. Seriously, the happiness in the game gets out of control way too fast.

I don't have any problems with happiness - except when I screw up, of course. If you're constantly losing control of your happiness, you're playing badly. For example, expanding too fast, or in the wrong place.

I have 4 cities, multitudes of luxury resources, and the AI is over there with over 100 happiness and like 20 cities.

If I'm not trading, my happiness is either insanely low or negative, doesn't matter what I do.

But seriously, the road crap is far worse than the happiness.

The AI cheats excessively with happiness, that true. I think the problem is that the AI has too much of it, not that the player has too little.

By the way, the very point of luxury resources is to trade them to keep your people happy. It's not optional until you get more sources of happiness (from social policies etc).

How am I supposed to trade when not one other civ has any luxury resources I can trade for? Yeah, I know that sounds impossible, but I'm being dead serious, I can't trade with any other civ cause all their luxury resources are greyed out.

Just thought I'd start a funny thread of things that irk you about the game that aren't exactly important. For instance, this isn't about how the AI is horrible at war, or about how bad Japan's UU is, but little nonsensical things that just make you go :rolleyes:

GENERIC versus SPECIFIC NATIONAL WONDERS

Ok. I'm going to build a NATIONAL COLLEGE and a NATIONAL EPIC, yet I'm also going to build an EAST INDIA COMPANY and CIRCUS MAXIMUS. The first two are generic names; the second two are specific. This drives me crazy. For instance, there's only 1 Circus Maximus in the world (in Rome), so how can it be a Nat'l Wonder? Just make them all generic for consistency's sake! :crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye:

ONE SKIN SHADE FOR ALL
Who are those Caucasian Swiss spearmen about to invade me? Oh, it's just Shaka's all-white Zulu army. What's that strange white knight about to attack? Oh, it's just Pachacuti's all-white Incan army. The game needs diversity by default. I know there's several mods out there, but nothing makes me roll my eyes more than the lack of respect for the different nations of the world. You'd think the 5th iteration of CIV would get it right? :confused: :confused::confused:

RANDOM UNIT MOVEMENT BUGS THAT MAKE NO SENSE
Ever had one of those battles where you take down an archer with your warriors, where one of the warriors charges in WAY AFTER after the battle ended? Or my favorite, a single soldier that spins in a hundred directions after moving to a new spot, keeping the game from going on for about 10 seconds. So bizarre! :dunno::dunno::dunno:

All this plus.

NO CONSISTENCY IN "UNIT NEEDS ORDERS"
Whenever you give a unit an order, it doesn't go to the nearest unit. Oh no, it goes to a unit CLEAR ACROSS MY EMPIRE.

FRIGGIN' SHORT NAME SPACES, AND RENAMING IN GENERAL
Why can't I rename a unit whenever I want and only when the unit can be promoted? This wouldn't be so stupid if the NAME SPACE wasn't so short.

How am I supposed to trade when not one other civ has any luxury resources I can trade for? Yeah, I know that sounds impossible, but I'm being dead serious, I can't trade with any other civ cause all their luxury resources are greyed out.

Those poor sods haven't improved their starting luxuries yet. If you've got four cities at that point, you're going way too fast!

Those poor sods haven't improved their starting luxuries yet. If you've got four cities at that point, you're going way too fast!

Nah, at this point I'm on turn 277, year is 1997, me and my buddy just took over the continant we're on, and Washington has 18 cities, and Greece has 12. And they still have nothing to trade.

I should of been more clear, in the other game is where I had 4 cities, and the other Civ had 22 with a 197 happiness. In this current one, the one I described above, my happiness is 0 with no options to trade with anyone.

197 happiness... yeah that sounds like AI cheating alright. The most I've ever had was a bit over 120, and I had only a few cities.

Are you getting ideological pressure or something to make those peeps unhappy?

I don't know what the deal was, but she controlled 90% of the map and the happiness was absurd.

I'm not sure what you mean by the ideological pressure though?

All this plus.

NO CONSISTENCY IN "UNIT NEEDS ORDERS"
Whenever you give a unit an order, it doesn't go to the nearest unit. Oh no, it goes to a unit CLEAR ACROSS MY EMPIRE.

FRIGGIN' SHORT NAME SPACES, AND RENAMING IN GENERAL
Why can't I rename a unit whenever I want and only when the unit can be promoted? This wouldn't be so stupid if the NAME SPACE wasn't so short.

i forgot about those. they tried a smarter 'next unit' pathing in one of the patches but it never really helped.

I'm not sure what you mean by the ideological pressure though?

Unhappiness from being of the "wrong" ideology. "Wrong" meaning one that is supported by a culturally influential empire or the WC-endorsed World Ideology.

Order
Level 2
Resettlement - New Cities start with an extra 1 population.

It may be me (I'm not a great player), but could this be anymore useless this late in the game?

All the left-handed workers, as discussed in an old thread...

Or how about this one: No fast way to go from civ to civ to talk with, trade with, etc.

Top Bottom