[modmod] Dune Wars Enhanced

Ohh, that silly thing on the PAE forums?
Horatius, pls don't take it that seriously, pie obviously didn't understand what you wrote as he is not a native english speaker (all right, I admit, he was somewhat slow even if we consider that :D)

Anyway, I also got 3 moderator warnings during some heated conversations about the brokenness of Civ V
You shouldn't even care about stuff like that, these things happen on a forum :)

Probably not going to happen. Too much effort for nothing. Besides I'm working on a work project that made me stay up until 4 am every day but yesterday last two weeks. So, yeah.

Horatius, modding effort is only wasted if you don't share it. People share mods all the time that are not perfected or complete. Real life circumstances change for modders and they don't always have the time to perfect and polish their mods before releasing.

As you have pointed out, Dune Wars 1.9.7 was not really complete and had a lot of issues that you have gone ahead and addressed. If you do host your work somewhere then lots of people would appreciate it. I think it would be a shame if your disagreement with civfanatics would influence your decision on this.

The mod is dead without me. It was dead before.

I wouldn't say that Dune Wars is dead. People still download it and get enjoyment from playing it. But it could be better with your improvements, no doubt.

The mod is dead without me. It was dead before.

this mod will never die, its one of the best ever made.

as the original creator of this mod, im proud of all the great team that contributed to this mod throughout its life,
too bad you are small minded Horatius and you prefer not to share what youve created so well. damn waste of a good modder and files.

I think I know what is happening. Basically Horatius got into a spat with another modder/forumite over the meaning of the word "acropolis". Nothing big but the conversation got heated and a mod swooped in telling him off for scaring away contributing users (not knowing that Horatius had contributed a lot by himself).

Horatius probably took it as a sign he was viewed as a nobody in the eyes of the forum (or at least the moderating staff).

If the moderator actually pulled his files from the upload service as a punishment that would be seriously unprofessional of him, but I don't think that is what's happened.

That said, I would beg you, Horatius, to reconsider. You've been helpful in more projects than this one and could be rising star here (even if the moderating staff might not yet recognise your name and contributions yet).

Heh, you didn't help with that post. I had no idea what happened after my last comment on that thread as I didn't get back to it until today. Funny stuff. That pie actually claimed for me to get banned! Heh!
Anyway, I don't see nothing wrong with the moderator comment there, actually.

Ohh, that silly thing on the PAE forums?
Horatius, pls don't take it that seriously, pie obviously didn't understand what you wrote as he is not a native english speaker (all right, I admit, he was somewhat slow even if we consider that :D)

Anyway, I also got 3 moderator warnings during some heated conversations about the brokenness of Civ V
You shouldn't even care about stuff like that, these things happen on a forum :)

Meh, he wasn't slow in comprehension: he didn't even try to comprehend. What upsets me is pettiness in the mask of righteousness.

It's very simple: as it is not uncommon in human discussions, he didn't want to discuss, he wanted me out and to continue to feel superior somewhat and have his "authority" in the forum. Why should he pass for less knowledgable in those topics? Better to write a clever, petty answer, twisting my words and provoking me.

His last answer before mine, was deliberately to irritate me and for him to pass as a nice fellow. Not innocent at all. I have no patience for that kind of pettiness, so I was happy to comply and said what he deserved. What do I care?

Some years ago, I suspected that he had a small mind. That is why I tended to refrain from making sugestions on his thread, despite the fact that my area of expertise is actually ancient mediterraean culture, especially greek and roman. He just proved I was right in not bothering myself before.

Not really a big deal, considering all things.

Horatius, modding effort is only wasted if you don't share it. People share mods all the time that are not perfected or complete. Real life circumstances change for modders and they don't always have the time to perfect and polish their mods before releasing.

As you have pointed out, Dune Wars 1.9.7 was not really complete and had a lot of issues that you have gone ahead and addressed. If you do host your work somewhere then lots of people would appreciate it. I think it would be a shame if your disagreement with civfanatics would influence your decision on this.

Nice words and I agree. But hey, look, I don't remember you sharing anything when I asked you a simple question by PM and you flat out ignored me. Chris ended up doing the same. Davidallen at least wrote back saying that he didn't remember much anymore and that was fine with me. He was polite.

Next, everything done is working but the mod is not ready for gameplay, as some changes are dependent of some more planned changes, sort of speak.

Next, I would've appreciated help at the beginning, but now, no way I want my mod adulterated. There's a plan in it. It's a modmod, not Dune Wars 1.9.8.

Next, if people wanted continue to work with the mod, they would be helping me by now. There's none.

Next, people only care about the fun, not the effort behind. You can twist this, but it is what it is. And I'm human like everybody else.

But, you're still misreading me. Look, if someone comes along and asks me stuff about Dune Wars code, I wouldnt do what you did. Getting into the Dune Wars code is not easy. Most mods are much simpler.
Honestly, I'm happy to help. If someone wants specific code that I wrote they just have to ask. No problem whatsoever. Its just that simple.

I wouldn't say that Dune Wars is dead. People still download it and get enjoyment from playing it. But it could be better with your improvements, no doubt.

I meant regarding development.

this mod will never die, its one of the best ever made.

as the original creator of this mod, im proud of all the great team that contributed to this mod throughout its life,
too bad you are small minded Horatius and you prefer not to share what youve created so well. damn waste of a good modder and files.

Another petty answer. It's ok, as you don't know me personally, so I'll just tap you in the head and brush you off. Don't bother me again. Thanks.

Next, people only care about the fun, not the effort behind. You can twist this, but it is what it is. And I'm human like everybody else.

I for example enjoy modding
Not all the times of course, it can grow on your head and you need to take a break sometimes, but still.. creating and improving a well-working mod is fun, a great feel

Also, most of the people see the effort behind it, and appreciate every minute you spend on making the mod better. And not only the fellow modders
At least I always got some great feedback about it in the RFCE forums
I'm sure it's the same for Dune Wars, even if most of the people don't post a huge thank you in the forums nowadays, there are generally less feedback
Still, there are many people downloading, using, and enjoying the better Civ IV mods every days
Here is hope you will change your mind, and will post your latest changes eventually
Cheers until then

Next, everything done is working but the mod is not ready for gameplay, as some changes are dependent of some more planned changes, sort of speak..

Please consider uploading what you have. Dune wars in particular has been collaborative, with multiple people working on the project and adding to each other's work. Even if what you have is not finished according to your bigger vision, it sounds like there are substantial improvements which other players would like.

Another petty answer. It's ok, as you don't know me personally, so I'll just tap you in the head and brush you off. Don't bother me again. Thanks.

Horatius, im sorry for my response, i take what i said back, your entitled to do as you think is right.

i wish to only thank you for the work youve done so far, this is just a game that ment for fun,
and after reading all the posts here, i think everyone is over reacting, we should all move on , or help by building another patch/version.

i agree.

again im sorry for offending you, Horatius it was late at night and i wasnt thinking.

i hope there s no hard feelings.

So, I saw this thread and got really excited reading over the changes in the modmod, only to discover that when I click on the download link I find myself at an "invalid file" page claiming the file is not/is no longer on this server.

Does anyone have a copy of the modmod I could get? Perhaps Horatius can fix the link?

Horatius can fix the link, but he won't. He decided he doesn't like the Civfanatics forum and/or community anymore and we're all a bit bummed out at his decision.

If anybody has downloaded a copy of the latest modmod, and still has the file, can you please upload it for others? If you have the file but are not sure how to upload, please post, and we will help make it available.

I have two files : "dune wars enhanced.zip" for 333 321 ko and "dune wars fan patch.zip" for 16 697 ko

Don't know how to upload this here

AFAIK the "dune wars fan patch" is outdated
The latest released version was the "dune wars enhanced", while there is a separate patch for it in the other thread (and as you can see in the thread, there were a lot more improvements planned, hopefully Horatius will change his mind and upload/finish them)

What versions do you want?

Dune Wars Enhanced and/or Dune Wars 1.9.7? I have 1.9.7 on this computer will check the other one for DWE.

JosEPh

Edit: I have DWE which I D/l'd 12/16/2013 and the 1st patch D/l'd 1/22/2014.

Top Bottom