When new cities raise unhappiness, what do you imagine is happening?

TheRealMaestro

Chieftain
Civ V's happiness mechanism makes sense generally; people are
pleased by luxury resources, bread and circuses, their faith,
& cetera. The causes of unhappiness are harder to transfer into
my own imagination, though, when I think about what is "really
going on" not on a player-game level but on a ruler-subjects
level. I can imagine why people would be disgruntled if their
city is occupied or too crowded, but I don't see why people
would be upset by the number of cities. If anything, I would
expect people to be proud as settlers spread their culture
into new territories. Why do you imagine people so disapprove
of building new cities?

of building new cities?

You are asked to leave your home and friends to settle a new land with no comforts and little assistance, because your ruler said so. That is how I'd explain it.

I guess it represents an empire becoming over-bloated and unruly. Think of what happened to the Roman Empire when it grew too large. It takes a lot of work to keep a population happy when it's so far away from the capitol.

Unahppiness cause so much laziness.. It is because unhappiness that large empires divided and revolted.. that actually does happen here in the civilization 5..

Simple. The larger an empire, the harder it is to keep in control and managed properly. The Roman empire tore apart because of this, along with the Mongolian empire, the Spanish empire, and the English empire.

of building new cities?

Simple... The more people there are, the more different needs the government is trying to reconcile. (nothing to do with crowding... there is plenty of space)

If Your empire consisted of 1 person (not 1 pop unit but 1 person), unhappiness would be 0, because the government would do EXACTLY what that one person wanted. If there are 2 people, then there will be a little bit of unhappiness, because the group won't do Exactly what each person wants* (cue marriage jokes.. as well as marriage reality)

People that are all in the same city will have a lot of similar wants.
People in 2 different cities will have different sets of wants... hence more unhappiness

It's much easier to imagine happiness as 'stability' - as long as your people are happy (luxuries etc.) your empire can remain stable. If you go and conquer your neighbours, it's a lot harder to keep things together, and thus the nation starts destabalising.

I tend to imagine that each citizen carefully assesses how many cities in the empire, how many luxes we have, what social policies we have adopted, if we have puppet cities...

I think my citizens got jealous that I turn my eye on a new part of my empire :p

Happiness drops from an insufficient amount of candy. Circuses, colosseums, zoos and stadiums all provide candy for visitors, which is why they boost happiness. Luxury resources are used for candy production, including ivory, furs, crab, and whales. Too many cities or too much population means there's not enough candy go to around, so people get cranky.

The wild west's shootouts happening every time a new village gets founded.

You know that story in the bible where moses people had literally seen the power of God but still decided to abandon him and create another God in the few days that moses is away climbing mountains, getting commandments from god and stuff? I think that happens in Civ, too. You as the godfigure of your Civ travel around like crazy which actually keeps your population calm.. and the more cities there are the longer you will be away from each city, so having more cities means that they have to bear your absence for longer periods of time and overall become less happy because their life just isn't fulfilled if they're not allowed to worship your greatness once a year or so. That's why they need luxuries to give them a false feeling of meaning and make them forget that their sole purpose is to worship you for all eternity after your death help you achieve your preferred victory condition.

You know that story in the bible where moses people had literally seen the power of God but still decided to abandon him and create another God in the few days that moses is away climbing mountains, getting commandments from god and stuff? I think that happens in Civ, too. You as the godfigure of your Civ travel around like crazy which actually keeps your population calm.. and the more cities there are the longer you will be away from each city, so having more cities means that they have to bear your absence for longer periods of time and overall become less happy because their life just isn't fulfilled if they're not allowed to worship your greatness once a year or so. That's why they need luxuries to give them a false feeling of meaning and make them forget that their sole purpose is to worship you for all eternity after your death help you achieve your preferred victory condition.

This! :)

"He saved us - and now he's reloaded!"

Happiness drops from an insufficient amount of candy. Circuses, colosseums, zoos and stadiums all provide candy for visitors, which is why they boost happiness. Luxury resources are used for candy production, including ivory, furs, crab, and whales. Too many cities or too much population means there's not enough candy go to around, so people get cranky.

Now I realized that cotton candy is made from actual cotton.

Top Bottom