Brave New World Great Works of Music Replacement

legomoan2040

Chieftain
I love the great works of art and tourism system and in Brave New World. It's honestly one of the most innovative features civ v has done so far.

However, I never liked the synthesized, midi representations of the great works of music.

So I looked at the complete list of great works of music, and obtained real performances played by actual people, and I cut them down to ~20-30 second clips.

Installation is easy, no mods required.

Download the files here (~30mb): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hj249xyjzmy6x2w/D6xuI8nAms
(download all as zip on the top right)

On windows and if you have steam, go to:
C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Assets/DLC/Expansion2/Sounds/Great Musician

Replace all existing files with those from the download. (If you want to save the original MIDI mp3s, just copy the originals them to some other location first).

If you would like to hear a sample of what I changed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWrnE2Ku2vc

Nice work! I dont get it why Firaxis just didnt pay a student or an amateur orchestra to play these as there are no copyright anymore on these songs...or at least on a piano instead of a computer

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I was thinking about a similar thing while playing. I used a Great Musician to create a great work and so I got to listen to a short clip from a classic piece of music. Now this is great, especially when your civ is in the renaissance era. But when you're in the modern, atomic, or information era, the Great Musician should be Elvis, Sinatra, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin. This is not to say that there aren't great modern day composers, but classical seems to be the only music form represented in the game.

I was thinking about a similar thing while playing. I used a Great Musician to create a great work and so I got to listen to a short clip from a classic piece of music. Now this is great, especially when your civ is in the renaissance era. But when you're in the modern, atomic, or information era, the Great Musician should be Elvis, Sinatra, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin. This is not to say that there aren't great modern day composers, but classical seems to be the only music form represented in the game.

That poses a real problem in terms of rights. Imagine trying to license all that iconic music from modern musicians. That said, I think I'd get chills if I heard Bohemian Rhapsody in game :D

Top Bottom