Dynamic faith huts chance?

ExoDoom

Chieftain
Hi guys!

This is my very first post, though I've been using civfanatics since 4.000 b.C. or so. I'm a veteran (and I don't mean 'pro') Civ4 player and a complete newcomer to Civ5 (bought complete edition last week).

I like to play the bigger & slower & fairer, the better. So I always play on huge maps, marathon speed and 'normal' difficulty (so neither me nor the AI have any advantage). In Civ4 I used to disable ancient ruins. I don't like magically-instant-learnt free techs, and of course I don't like them for the AI either. But all that archaeology stuff sounds so good... I'm enabling those dirty Satan-devoted pieces of ****.

And here come all my wtf's. Even chosing my opponents (so no Celts are around), AI can fund the first pantheon as soon as turn ~7-10. You may say "well, those lucky bastards found an early faith hut". It's not a matter of luck, I have loaded lots (and I really mean lots!) of saves and it's completely impossible for a human player to step into a faith hut before turn ~20 (in marathon). I got a hut 2 turns away from my starting position, loaded exactly 100 times and got no faith. Decided to keep that hut for later use, got faith on turn 23, on fourth try (after an enemy pantheon). Reloaded turn 2 another 100 times, neither luck nor faith. Religious CS initial faith bonus is not enough to fund a pantheon, so I'm pretty sure they get a faith hut on turn ~7-10 (or they start between 2 religious CS, but that's not luck but cheating).

Have you guys run into this? Can anybody confirm if there's a "human players can't get a faith hut before turn X" rule?

I have never gotten a faith hut as far as I can recall, except when playing Shoshone. Shoshone is allowed to pick his reward. But even with Shoshone, you cannot pick faith rewards until turn 20 or later. That restriction is likely why I don't recall finding one, as the odds of finding huts that late are rare enough, but then you have to get lucky on the roll as well.

In order to get a pantheon that soon, you have to find 2 faith city states. As a reward for finding them (you might have to be first, not sure), you get 8 faith. It takes 10 faith for the first pantheon. I have played games with 2 faith city states near by.

What difficulty are you playing on? AI starts with Pottery on King and above.

And if you're playing on Quick, one meet of a religious CS is absolutely enough to get a pantheon. Can't speak for the other speeds.

I'm playing on Prince difficulty and marathon speed. I guess on that 'normal' difficulty AI should start with no advantages. Also, even if they started with pottery, it's like ~30 turns to build the first faith building, and another 30 turns to reach 30 faith and fund the first panth.

I have decided to disable ancient ruins and pray for an early religious CS near my starting position. If they continue cheating, I will let them fund the first panths and then crush them all with my armies.

Is it a problem though? Normally I find there are two or three Pantheons I can use so if one goes it is no big deal. I don't know that disabling ruins will assist anyway as you can't be certain that that is where the faith comes from- the AI may have settled close to Mt. Sinai.

If you try monument/ shrine path then "generally" you end up with a decent Pantheon.

Is it a problem though? Normally I find there are two or three Pantheons I can use so if one goes it is no big deal. I don't know that disabling ruins will assist anyway as you can't be certain that that is where the faith comes from- the AI may have settled close to Mt. Sinai.

If you try monument/ shrine path then "generally" you end up with a decent Pantheon.

Yeah, I suppose that's the answer here. Settling next to one of the many faith wonders would account for it.

Top Bottom