I have to reinstall every time I want to start the game

WeneedmoreCivs

Warlord
Civ V has worked for me since day one, but some point last year I started having an issue where any time I quit the game, I could not go back into it unless I reinstalled the whole game. I normally play marathon or epic length games and tend to just leave the program and computer running, but this problem is annoying. Anyone else having this issue?

What it does when it's not working is it will play the entire intro video and then the program will close without an error message.

Have you tried seeing what happens when if you disable the intro video? If not try editing usersettings.ini (located in Documents\My Games\Sid Meier’s Civilization 5\) and changing "SkipIntroVideo=0" to "SkipIntroVideo=1" to see if that helps.

It sounds like you are getting corrupted files. How full is the drive that steam resides on? Do you have a decent amount of RAM? If windows is using a huge swap file and space is an issue, then it is possible that files are being corrupted.

I realize that this may not make sense, but the way they designed the game, seems to introduce corrupted files. It is also possible that during the game, the game itself has been updated, thus causing a conflict in file content and causing corrupted files.

You should not have to re-load the whole game, but under properties just do verify local files until it gives you an all files successfully varified result.

I've started getting the same thing the last week or so. Previously, I had no issues.

Each time I try and run CIV, I get 'Sid Meier's Civilization V has stopped working'. I then 'verify the integrity of the game cache'.
'Validating Sid Meier's Civilization File (1 of 1)' tells me I need to re-acquire a file.
The file is downloaded and installed and civ works fine.

I have to go through the above each time I play.

I tried deleting the local content and re-installing but still have the same issue.

intro screen is disabled. Anyone got any ideas?

I've started getting the same thing the last week or so. Previously, I had no issues.

Each time I try and run CIV, I get 'Sid Meier's Civilization V has stopped working'. I then 'verify the integrity of the game cache'.
'Validating Sid Meier's Civilization File (1 of 1)' tells me I need to re-acquire a file.
The file is downloaded and installed and civ works fine.

I have to go through the above each time I play.

I tried deleting the local content and re-installing but still have the same issue.

intro screen is disabled. Anyone got any ideas?

How many times do you check the local cache? Till it says all files successfully varified? Reinstalling the whole game is the same as varifying the local cache, but takes longer, unless you have a huge amount of corrupted files.

If you keep getting corrupted files, then there is another software or hardware related issue: from a virus checker that keeps changing files, to bad memory that is corrupting files.

If your computer needs to keep swapping out a large file for added memory (above RAMM ), then you may want to put steam and games on a seperate drive from your main drive. That is what I did on a below specs computer and I had a lot less corrupted files.

I'm having exactly the same problem. I've thoroughly enjoyed every incarnation of civ since I got my first PC in the 90's, but Civ 5 has been one of the most buggy, time consuming erratic pieces of software it has been my misfortune to use.
I played today. I saved it after 20 minutes and checked I could reload it, which I could. I played for 3 hours, saved it and after I tried to load it after booting up it crashed.

I've tried the game cache, the defrag, etc. Nothing works. It was working fine a couple of weeks ago, but now it's back to that horrible limbo when I can't play a game I paid good money for and trawling the forums for a fix seems to be the only option. Deja vu anyone?

And you know what? I'm done. I'm done with civ 5 and I'm uninstalling it. I don't want to waste more of my life trying to fix software that should work but doesn't. Why should I bother with crap software when there are software companies out there who can produce stable, working games?

Rant over. Take notice Firaxis, I've been a fan for nearly 20 years and you've just lost me.

Turn off the Steam Cloud, then reinstall. Worked for me. Steam Cloud keeps trying to download an obsolete config that derps your DLC.

Top Bottom