the oobs 2nd pitboss game, 18 players

For an idea of how much faster PTBS is than PBEM:

Since our session at the start of the game ended (20th of may in my time zone), we have gotten through about 36 turns in a month.

Compare that to the PBEM game in this thread, which has by my calculations gotten through 31 turns in about five months.

Both games have about the same number of human players.

Attention!

I would like to annonce a first military action between human players in this game.
Just now my brave axeman kill spying Xerol warrior who come inconviniently close to my unprotected worker.
We greatly regret sufering we couse to warrior famalies, but our defensless workers need to be protected. :)

Hello All,
Oob has asked me to sub for Grizzle while he's on vacation this month...this works out well for me as I'll be moving in early August and will be pontentially without a computer for awhile. I currently live in California and consider myself no more than an average civ IV player. I've played Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri pbems before and I like the more consistant turn speed that pitboss encourages. (thiose old pbems could really drag on).
In any case, I've contacted Grizzle privately to carry his emipre on as he would wish and discuss strategy. Are there any treaties or agreements between factions in this game yet? Can we make private agreements outside the game mechanism? I don't want to violate any rules in this game out of ignorance!
Thanks...swiss1

swiss1 said:
Are there any treaties or agreements between factions in this game yet?

Nope, or at least none that I'm in on.

Can we make private agreements outside the game mechanism? I don't want to violate any rules in this game out of ignorance!

Go ahead, I haven't made any rule against it since such a rule would be unenforceable. By the same logic, I think they should let athletes use drugs, or else it's just the cheaters who win.

Once the cheating atheletes are exposed, no PR force on earth will save them from the public's enthusiaism to see the mighty fall. There is, indeed, a price to pay for everything in this here life!:mischief:

swiss1 said:
Once the cheating atheletes are exposed, no PR force on earth will save them from the public's enthusiaism to see the mighty fall. There is, indeed, a price to pay for everything in this here life!:mischief:

Yeah but there's no way to expose certain methods, so they may as well make those methods legal, so that any unfair advantage is negated.

I heard recently about some chickens they put in a centrifuge machine at 2G, and they became extra strong and stuff. They should do that with athletes.

Anyway this is getting OT.

I defer to your presence as the originator of this thread....but I still think that condoning immoral behavior with the premise that "they're going to do it anyway" just sets the expectations lower...and people, I feel, generally live up, or down, to that which is expected of them...I know it's off topic but this could relate to...even....playing games...like Civ 4. :p
Back on-topic...was every nation in our game in contact from the beginning?, or has it happened through exploration, etc?
ps...Can I edit my own nation's info on gamestats.com. If so, how?

swiss1 said:
was every nation in our game in contact from the beginning?, or has it happened through exploration, etc?

You can talk to all human players from the start of the game, but you can only deal with them in diplomacy if you've made contact (ie. found them on the map).

swiss1 said:
ps...Can I edit my own nation's info on gamestats.com. If so, how?

I haven't tried myself, but I'll PM you the password you'll need.

From what I could find in the forums, if you can not make a turn in the 24 hr period, pitboss will continue with your queued up build orders and any unit actions you've already plotted? Is that true in this current game? Also Oob, the password you sent for civstats didn't work? :confused:

Players cannot set their own nation info on civstats.com - the game administrator sets all of those.

If you miss your turn, most of the stuff in your nation will continue normally. Research and production will continue and if you've queued up anything in research or production they will continue. However, unit movement that has been queued up (like auto explore or go-to) will NOT execute. You have to log in for that to happen.

Oob sent me the admin password for our current game and there's a hot-link on the page (says..Are you playing this game? Register your leader) which requires that password. The one Oob sent didn't work but all I really wanted to do was see the correct nation next to my name...not a big deal...but I guess having "unknown" displayed bugs me. Anyway, I wonder if that civstat stuff can still be edited after the game starts? (why would that link be there otherwise?)

I think that no one should rely on that and try to log in and finish the turn.
Otherwize it will be like all last week, when all exept one finish turn in 8 hours and then it going for 30 hours because last player did not bother to log in.

Mutineer said:
I think that no one should rely on that and try to log in and finish the turn.
Otherwize it will be like all last week, when all exept one finish turn in 8 hours and then it going for 30 hours because last player did not bother to log in.

Yeah I think that was JRocket, who was taking over from Grizzle for a while, but had to drop out, and has now been replaced by Swiss1.

This game has moved along very well so far as Oob has pointed out in this thread and that has to be primarily because all players are processing their turns quickly and reliably. In the past, I've played in a few 8 player Alpha Centauri pbem's where, since you had to play turns in series, all it took was one person holding onto a turn to bring the whole game to a screeching halt....very frustrating! I think Pitboss has made a great advance in big multiplayer turn based games by allowing you to log on and play your turn anytime during the turn timing period...in any order...but real life does intrude from time-to-time and it's nice to know that Pitboss will execute the missing player's turns and not hold up everyone else. I'm quite thankful to Oob for allowing me to sub in this game while Grizzle's on vacation and I intend to play the Grizzle empire's turns as expeditiously as I possibly can...I Check my e-mail several times a day....it's just nice to know what effects unexpected real life events arising would have on the game.
Harumph!!
And another question. With tech trading disabled, does that also negate all other nation-to-nation actions? (open borders, resource trading, etc) When you look on the foreign advisor and click on another leader, it says that he/she has already declined your offer...before even offering anything?

swiss1 said:
And another question. With tech trading disabled, does that also negate all other nation-to-nation actions? (open borders, resource trading, etc)

No.

When you look on the foreign advisor and click on another leader, it says that he/she has already declined your offer...before even offering anything?

I just use the names on the bottom right rather than the foreign advisor for diplomacy. Perhaps it's because you clicked on leaders you haven't met yet?

If you want to register your leader on civstats, PM me which leader you're using and your name in the game, and I'll send you the password to use.

The password is the same for everyone, but if you want the extra security of a unique password, send me the password you want to use and I'll set it to that for you.

For those in my other game, all of the above applies for that one too.

CB, Is there any reason not to finish the turn?
You are last and you allready logget in 2 times with out finishing turn!

Top Bottom