Considering starting a PTBS 24 hr game based on Earth 1000 AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
The connection is re-established after being lost this morning.

I was unaware that Verizon (my ISP) had dropped my connection this morning till I just got home and repaired it.

I appologize and have discussed the situation with others in my household and they will check the connectivity if problems arise in the future.

CB Droege said:
No.

I think you are worrying a bit too much about security. I've joined about seven PTBS games so far, and I'm hosting one, and no one has ever done anything like the things you are trying to protect against. Maybe you're used to playing on gamespy or something? but, the people on these forums are a pretty good crowd, and I don't think you need to worry about people screwing with the game or claiming eachother's civs...

It just doesn't happen around here...

Well, maybe we should get some more feedback from other players on this.

I keep imagining some disgruntled noob player eliminated from a game doing something spiteful, or some prankster doing something anonymously just for the giggles he gets from ruining someone else's game. Greifers abound in most internet games, I find it incredible that there are absolutely none here and that none will get into these games in the future.

If we end up playing for a year or more, how would you feel if someone, for whatever reason, wrecked the game for spite or sociopathic reasons?

To me this seems like an unacceptable risk when one compares what could be lost in terms of time and effort all because one doesnt want to spend two seconds typing in a password.

Also, consider how easy it is for someone to log on to an AI civ and hose that civs set up. Cities abandoned then conquered in coordination is a cheat that is just too simple to pull off to not take steps to prevent it, IMO. That is why I didnt want to have the take over AI option open, but to leave it wide open for anyone to mess things around seems naive at best.

What do you other players think about this?

Also, should we wait for more players and launch later like the 17th, or go ahead and get the ball rolling this Friday to accomodate weekend travelers?

If we have take over AI on, people can join any time that they want after the game starts and the AI has played them a bit.

I just dont want to wait around for ever to play or penalize people that need to leave for this coming weekend.

You'll find griefers in places like gamespy, not here.

besides, the only time you'll need the security (if at all) is right when the game starts. After that, all the civs will be taken, and each civ will have a password.

Alos, the game can be saved as often as you like, so if something gets really borked somehow, we can always go back to a recent save.

In addition, if you leave take-over AI turned off, then no civ can ever change players, so if someone wants to quit, their civ becomes AI, and that's the end of it.

Finally, the spots should not begin as AI, they should begin as open player spots. If you start them as AI, the AI will found the first city, and start building things, which is not preferable.

I would recomend not starting the game until you have all the player spots filled. There is no reason to ever have AI in a PTBS game. There are plenty of willing players around. If you want me to help you recruit for this game, let me know.

I have been reading both Arckon and CB Droege and tend to agree with CB that if someone is going to ruin the game it should be easy to recover.That said It won't take long to enter a password. So my stance on this issue is neutral.

I don't think that we must be in a rush to start the game, I realize that we are all eager to get going but waiting a bit will make for a better game.
As for people going away the weekend, if we start on Friday who is going to push the red button for them on Saturday ?

The connection is still timing out.

I am surprised that anyone is this passionate about something that involves such little effort as entering a password, CB.

Not to belittle your position, everyone has a right to their opinion, its just that the risk to effort proportion is just so out of balance in favor of password protecting the game if we have take over AI on that I am simply amazed that this is even a point of contention.

CB Droege said:
You'll find griefers in places like gamespy, not here.

OK, lets say that this is absolutely true. Can you seriously assert that this will be true a year from now after everyone has put considerable time into the game? Civ4 has been out less than a year, so why would anyone assume that the greifers wont eventually make their presence in this game too?

'If you build it they will come' seems to apply to greifers, with the 'it' being any multi-player game on the internet that is not password protected.

In *every* game I have seen on the internet, greifers eventualy show up and screw with things just because they can. Why take that risk?

In every game I have seen you have cheaters; in Civ4 terms that would be someone running multiple civs in the same game under different accounts, taking over an AI nation to declare war or evacuate cities the player is about to attack, etc. It spoils a game compeltely when someone is caught doing that, at least in my view.

Why should all of us risk such cheating and vulnerability when all we have to do is enter one more password when the game starts up? I dont get it.

CB Droege said:
besides, the only time you'll need the security (if at all) is right when the game starts. After that, all the civs will be taken, and each civ will have a password.

That is looking presumptive right now. Maybe you are right, but maybe also this game format isnt as popular or trusted as the random start and we might end up with only a dozen or so people also. We could be sitting here a long time waiting for that 24th person, no?

CB Droege said:
Alos, the game can be saved as often as you like, so if something gets really borked somehow, we can always go back to a recent save.

I dont think that is as simple as you seem to think it is.

Say we have suspicions that a player is taking over the AI of a second civ and is using it to start wars or abandon territory. How do you determine how far back to go to re-establish the game integrity? It would seem that you would have to go back to the first time that they took a city from the AI or the first time I noticed someone logged in under an AI civ and the kick button was left active. How far back would that have to go? How many weeks of play would get wiped out just so we can skip a second password entry?

It simply does not make sense to me to not have the game password if we do not have all the slots filled and have take over AI on.

CB Droege said:
In addition, if you leave take-over AI turned off, then no civ can ever change players, so if someone wants to quit, their civ becomes AI, and that's the end of it.

I agree with this. I just didnt imagine it would happen all that often.

But yes, it is a needless risk given the alternatives.

CB Droege said:
Finally, the spots should not begin as AI, they should begin as open player spots. If you start them as AI, the AI will found the first city, and start building things, which is not preferable.

Again, I dont see the basis for assuming that we will fill all the spots. I have had this thread running for some time now and we have exactly twelve people so far.

If more want to join they can with the take over AI on. Why hold back the game till we have that 24th person?

CB, you have played this game on multiplayer mode alot more than I have, so I concede that your direct experience is a considerable factor here.

But you have to be able to explain yourself so that it adds up in my mind. Right now, the 'hassle' of a second password is worth it under the options we are taking and I have had two other players tell me that as well, so I know I am not the only one that feels this way.

CB Droege said:
I would recomend not starting the game until you have all the player spots filled. There is no reason to ever have AI in a PTBS game. There are plenty of willing players around. If you want me to help you recruit for this game, let me know.

Sure, CB, please do. I would much prefer to have all the slots filled, and so, I would much appreciate your time and effort in this respect.

Can we do it by Friday morning of the 15th?

richm said:
I have been reading both Arckon and CB Droege and tend to agree with CB that if someone is going to ruin the game it should be easy to recover.That said It won't take long to enter a password. So my stance on this issue is neutral.

OK, rich, I hear you, but would going back 30 turns really be alright with you? And how many times could it happen? Greifers are nothing if not persistent. With no password protect, that person could log back in while I am at work and recreate their mischeif every day till they are bored with it. That could turn into a mess trying to keep some jerk out of the game each day, constantly restarting simply because we didnt use a game password, How does risking that make sense?

Just knowing that it can happen would make me question whether I would want to keep playing such a game for such a length of time.

If you have ever been at the short end of the greifer stick, it is a very unpleasant thing and their complete lack of ryme or reason for what they do is typical, not exceptional. They do it just because they think that they are making people mad, nothing more; pushing peoples buttons en masse is their motive.

richm said:
I don't think that we must be in a rush to start the game, I realize that we are all eager to get going but waiting a bit will make for a better game.
As for people going away the weekend, if we start on Friday who is going to push the red button for them on Saturday ?

The connection is still timing out.

I dont understand your point here, rich.

It is going to be on a 24 hour timer, right? So it is going to cycle basically one turn per day anyway, right?

That is what I thought we would be doing, anyway.

I was planning on entering one turn per day, myself, so what am I missing here?

I enjoy this type of discussion, and I dont mean to argue, but I simply am not empathizing with the no-password point of view here.

I just dont see it.

richm said:
The password issue I will leave up to you.

Alright, thanks, but I am feeling like a bully.

You seem to still disagree, but I dont mean to run over you.

Still, rich, what is the harm in letting the timer run out? With 24 civs, should that actually happen, do you think we will often have everyone playing finish their turns early?

I was thinking I would do my one turn a day and wasnt even contemplating the possibility of entering a second or third turn in one day.

How does it normally go in this respect based on Pitboss games you have played?

I too am only planned on taking a turn once a day.

What I can't understand is why would a person would be in a rush to take the 1st turn but then let the timer lapse on the 2nd turn. Maybe I was just concerned for the players not taking thier turns and how it would affect them.I am a bit of a worrier.
Please understand it does not matter to me when we start, if people are not there to take thier turns it will only make my Civ stronger.
Alright, thanks, but I am feeling like a bully.
You are not a bully you run a tight ship:)

By the way,the connetion on the game is still timing out.

richm said:
I too am only planned on taking a turn once a day.

What I can't understand is why would a person would be in a rush to take the 1st turn but then let the timer lapse on the 2nd turn. Maybe I was just concerned for the players not taking thier turns and how it would affect them.I am a bit of a worrier.
Please understand it does not matter to me when we start, if people are not there to take thier turns it will only make my Civ stronger.

Well, if you are going to be gone for several days, you could order your units to do things that take several turns and you lose no time that way.

richm said:
You are not a bully you run a tight ship:)

By the way,the connetion on the game is still timing out.

Are you using the IP or the DNS to connect?

Verizon (my ISP) has changed my IP again, and it is now 71.254.23.37

They change it every two business days or so, which is why I got the DNS.

If the DNS is not working, please let me know.

I just know that I've played in a game with a password in the past, and since none of my other games had passwords, and because civ4 does not 'remember' passwords for you, I was constantly forgetting to enter the password at all, and even when I rememberer, you say it adds only a couple of seconds, well in a game where you take several minutes to load a turn that may only take several seconds to play (especially in the beginning) every second that can be shaved off that load time helps.

Since you are obviously worried about game security, however, here's my recomendation:
Get a new non-IP address for the server, and only give the new address to the confirmed players.

While I'm at work today, I'll post about your game in a few places where I know there are people looking for more games to play.

CB Droege said:
I would recomend not starting the game until you have all the player spots filled. There is no reason to ever have AI in a PTBS game. There are plenty of willing players around.

AI players are also needed if someone doesn't make a move for a while. Is there some rule for this? For example that the player will be dropped to AI if he misses to end a turn for 5 consecutive days without informing the host. If someone stops playing and he's not dropped to AI, the neighbouring civs get a huge advantage there.

azzaman333 said:
Is it nessecary to email you to join this game? Because my gmail account is a little fishy at the moment, and i dont like hotmail.

You could send the info through the personal message system here at Civfanatics.

Dandridge said:
AI players are also needed if someone doesn't make a move for a while. Is there some rule for this? For example that the player will be dropped to AI if he misses to end a turn for 5 consecutive days without informing the host. If someone stops playing and he's not dropped to AI, the neighbouring civs get a huge advantage there.

If a player leaves they can ask the admin person (me in this case) to set the game to AI. I would be happy to do that.

CB Droege said:
I just know that I've played in a game with a password in the past, and since none of my other games had passwords, and because civ4 does not 'remember' passwords for you, I was constantly forgetting to enter the password at all, and even when I rememberer, you say it adds only a couple of seconds, well in a game where you take several minutes to load a turn that may only take several seconds to play (especially in the beginning) every second that can be shaved off that load time helps.

Since you are obviously worried about game security, however, here's my recomendation:
Get a new non-IP address for the server, and only give the new address to the confirmed players.

Not sure that de-activating an existing DNS is as simple as changing a password.

CB Droege said:
While I'm at work today, I'll post about your game in a few places where I know there are people looking for more games to play.

Thanks CB, I would really appreciate that.

I thought I would give you some feedback

When I use 71.254.23.37 I can get in.
When I use arckons24civpbg.blogdns.org is times out.

Am I the only one with this problem ?

richm said:
I thought I would give you some feedback

When I use 71.254.23.37 I can get in.
When I use arckons24civpbg.blogdns.org is times out.

Am I the only one with this problem ?

Hmmm, maybe I will change over to CB's DNS service....

CB Droege said:
I guess it depends on the service you're using. I use no-ip.org for my free dns forwarding, and all I have to do if I want to change it is log in and change it... I've never used blogdns.org, so I don't know how it works...

That is cool then, we can use the DNS name for a substitute for a password.

I'll sign up for that service tonight when I get home.

The project sounds interesting - but my backup that I'll be getting to log in for me while I'm away at the end of next week wouldn't be able to handle the massive map. Although if its that early on, maybe he can.

I'd be ok with any civ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom