Considering starting a PTBS 24 hr game based on Earth 1000 AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if you are going to be gone for several days, you could order your units to do things that take several turns and you lose no time that way.

Actually, NOTHING occurs if you don't login. Units don't move, workers don't work, cities don't grow/produce/research. If you miss a turn, you quite literally miss a turn.

I'm also confused, has this started yet, or not? If it hasn't, I might sign up.

Xerol said:
Actually, NOTHING occurs if you don't login. Units don't move, workers don't work, cities don't grow/produce/research. If you miss a turn, you quite literally miss a turn.

Well, not really. If you plot the worker actions so that it takes ten turns to build a farm, it will continue working on that farm till its done. If you plot a spearman to go to a location twenty turns of movement away, it will move each turn till it gets there. I have tested this and it works.

It wont set the goals or next actions of any units once the plotted actions you chose are done.

Xerol said:
I'm also confused, has this started yet, or not? If it hasn't, I might sign up.

It has not started yet. I think I will start it Friday in the am East cost time USA. People that want to join later can take over an AI civ once they send me a message and get the new DNS so they can get to the server to play.

Pick a civ and a password so I can set you up Thursday aftermidnight and email them to me and I will reserve a civ for you.

JMaltman said:
The project sounds interesting - but my backup that I'll be getting to log in for me while I'm away at the end of next week wouldn't be able to handle the massive map. Although if its that early on, maybe he can.

I'd be ok with any civ.

Wow, you had gotten in on the end of my previous page and I didnt see you till now, sorry.

Pick a Civ and send me the password you want me to set it to so you can be sure to get your civ you want, or just come in later and take over a civ after play has started. You will need the new DNS name sent to you by email or private message here at CivFanatics.

Its up to you, but be sure to check the list of taken civs at the start of the thread.

richm said:
Ackron did you get a new IP last night ?

No, I am working on it though.

I have an account set up with no-ip.com, but wasnt able to complete it due to their DNS creation page being down for some reason (the rest of the site was up).

Should have it soon, like the evening of the 13th.

Also, I am restarting the test server to more resemble what we will have during the actual game, so be patient with me.

I am going to reset some of the starting buildings and units so that civs with ancient specialized units/buildings will have them at the start. These civs get somewhat hozed with a classical age start as it is, not providing them with starting specialized units seems a double blow to their competitiveness.

I'm not sure I want to play if you're not going to wait for the roster to fill up. If we don't actually get 24 players, then there is no reason to play a 24-civ game. Why not just mark it down as something to try again later, and maybe do a more simple setup that only includes enough civs for the players who have signed up. Then, after getting more experience as a PTBS host, maybe you can try this 24-people on true-earth idea again. :)

Also, I think a major reason for the lack of players is that not everyone has had a chance to get Warlords yet, if you play a regular game now, and do this more complex idea later, you'll have more respondands, both because you'll be more experienced (which people like), and more people will have the required game. ;)

CB Droege said:
I'm not sure I want to play if you're not going to wait for the roster to fill up. If we don't actually get 24 players, then there is no reason to play a 24-civ game.

Well, there are the facts that:
1) the AI can play the civs fairly well to keep it competetive. Having an enemy AI civ on your borders is altogether different than having a barbarian city.

2) Since we are going to play with the 'take over AI' flag on, people can join in later and it isnt necesarily a game that wont fill up at all. Eventually it might. Meanwhile, I just want to get things going and have some fun with it.

CB Droege said:
Why not just mark it down as something to try again later, and maybe do a more simple setup that only includes enough civs for the players who have signed up. Then, after getting more experience as a PTBS host, maybe you can try this 24-people on true-earth idea again. :)

I already have some ideas for a more complex game after this one is over, but I'll have to see how things shake out. I have several RL friends who are wanting to do this too and I am simply the guy doing the dirty work, lol.

CB Droege said:
Also, I think a major reason for the lack of players is that not everyone has had a chance to get Warlords yet, if you play a regular game now, and do this more complex idea later, you'll have more respondands, both because you'll be more experienced (which people like), and more people will have the required game. ;)

Well, like I said, I just want to get this thing started and having a full game doesnt seem to me to be a necessity.

But you are more than welcome to play if you want to later.

Hi everyone, I have either a really bad cold or the flu, not sure which.

Instead of loading everyones ruler name and password, I am going to let each person do it and kick anyone that looks suspicious (ie, they have a different ruler name than what has been sent in to me). But right now, I think that there is a far greater likelihood of me screwing up because I am sick than anyone trying to hijack someones civ.

If you changed your mind about your start ruler name and I kick you, just email me that you changed your mind and what the new ruler name is, etc and I wont kick you again.

A couple of people are going to do the first turn and then I'm kicking them so that they can resume the game at a later time.

Anyway, I am going to start this game Friday morning around 12 am. I will email everyone the DNS for the game before I start it.

Have fun everyone and see you in the game.

Important NOTE: I have revised the civs starting setup to include any ancient special units or buildings at game start. This affects the Vikings, Zulus, Inca, Malinese, Greeks, Indians, Arabs, and Egypt. I noticed that as the Inca player with a grainery ineach city instead of my Terrace, I could also build the Terrace and get additional benefits, so it was kind of an exploit that I had been unaware of. This addresses that problem nicely.

Well, hopefully, we can get some human players in those slots soon, because I hate the Civ AI, they play like ******ed monkeys. I can never stand to play single player because of that... Looking at the list, however, it looks like most of the AI will be in Western Europe, so they'll proly just have to deal with each other for the most part...

Arckon, check your PM for details, but I'll take Mali.

Well I count 16 players so far which is pretty good going. We should step up recruiting though so that people realise the game is still open - maybe post the remaining civs so it's easier for people to choose. Also, if we do no-celts version, that makes for only 7 unfilled slots.

TELawrence said:
Well I count 16 players so far which is pretty good going. We should step up recruiting though so that people realise the game is still open - maybe post the remaining civs so it's easier for people to choose. Also, if we do no-celts version, that makes for only 7 unfilled slots.

Hmm, I am counting 15: did I miss anyone?

We have so far:

China - Agemo
Zulus - richm
Russia - CB Droege
India - TE Lawrence
Spain - Mickeyj
Mongolia - eric
USA - JoshC
Incas - Arckon
Persia - DanDRidge
England - IanDC
Korea - crazyjoe0813
Turkey - ForesterSOF
Aztecs - Mark
Arabs - Azzaman
Mali - JMaltman

Civs remaining open are:
Celts, Sweden, France, Rome, Japan, Greece, Egypt, Carthage, Germany

Did I miss anyone?

As to doing a no Celt game, nah, I have spent toomuch time in trial and error modification of the game to do it all over again.

Besides, the Celts fit really nicely where I have put them and it would be fun to see what they end up doing.

JMaltman said:
Arckon, check your PM for details, but I'll take Mali.

You got it.

Anyone still having problems connecting with this new DNS I emailed everyone?

If you didn't get it let me know.

OK, old DNS updater has been dropped and thenew ones started. So it would be helpful if a few players would try and connect with the new DNS. :D

Please let me know if you are having any problems with it.

I plan to start the game for real in a little less than 21 hours from now.

TELawrence said:
xerol was the 16th...

I sent him a private message inviting him, but he has not sent me any info on which civ he wants to play, if at all.

Of course, he is more than welcome to get involved with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom