Orbis - the original thread

Hi Ahwaric, I am a big fan of your modmod and will happily await for your new version.

I really enjoy your implementation of the totem animal promotions. Given the added strategic value, it would be interesting to have animals and beasts spawn throughout all the game, as I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that once barbarian cities/units reach a certain level, animals stop spawning. Also, according to Xienwolf's manual, only bears and lions produce dens, and even then only when they are 4 tiles away from any improvement. Perhaps it would be interesting to allow as a selectable option other animals/beasts produce dens? And reduce the distance requirements to 3? I don't think everyone would enjoy such changes, but including them as a selectable option might please animal lovers out there.

In a Doviello thread, someone suggested allowing them to build shamans shapeshifting abilities, and getting stronger forms depending on their tier. E.g. Adepts could change to wolf packs or mages to polar bears (if they're allowed to have mages at all). Though this seems fun, it chips the "negative uniqueness" of the Doviello, as they did not get magic users at all. Perhaps this may be countered by limiting shamans to their shapeshifting abilites and to a few spell spheres (Body, Chaos, Earth, Spirit, Nature). Given the fact that they are wild by nature and the toll the transformation takes on the mind, shapeshifted shamans might start with enraged, making them stronger than normal animals, but having a possibility of going native while in animal form (enraged removed when returning to human form).

Regards.

shapeshifting would be great but I think Ahwaric has it scheduled for a future release or something ;)

I second the request for more kinds of animal dens though :)

I am glad you like the totems :)
I will try to enable some types of improvements in doviello lands spawn animals (forester & hunters camp come in mind). But have not yet looked into it, so I am not sure what will be possible. Currently, I think that wolf prides spawn wolves, so are some kind of mobile den.
I have checked the den creating requirements and the only improvement they check is the same type. I think the current bear den density is enough :)
The real limiting factor in lion den creating is that it requires lion pride, not just a lion. And there is just 10% to upgrade lion or wolf from combat. I changed that and both lions and wolves have now 35% convert chance. Baby spiders have a bit better chance, too.

Last time I checked Doviello could build spellcasters, and I do not plan to change that. I like Limited shapeshifting idea, but as I said, limited. Without creating a new animal unit, but preserving unit and it's combat type (they are not real animals after all), just adding some bonuses and changing unit looks. That should also limit the unit a bit, i.e. lower spell damage. I thought of disabling spellcasting at all, but it may be too much and what is more important, I think it requires a lot of python checks. Enraged might be a good idea, too.

I will think on it and maybe include a basic version in 0.14, but my priority is to release it as soon as possible, preferably today.

Edit: what do you think of adding Griffin nests?

Edit: what do you think of adding Griffin nests?

I think all the animals and beasts should have homes that spawn them. Giant caves, Griffin nests, Gorrilla huts, and even Dragon lairs(that spawns drakes, not full grown dragons) - then turn on a limiter to when they begin spawning by turn -based on gamespeed (so you dont have a land full of huge badies making your scouts wet themselves)

): I'm unable to download it ... it said that "There were no available download servers." all the time ... (trying 3rd day)

): I'm unable to download it ... it said that "There were no available download servers." all the time ... (trying 3rd day)

are you talking about the old .13 version? I just tried and can download all the necessary files. .13, patch c, and the flames fix.

version .13 is for .33 FFH2 ... the version for .34 FFH2 hasn't been released yet. although Im sure it will be soon, especially if patch H of FFH is done soon.

version .13 is for .33 FFH2 ... the version for .34 FFH2 hasn't been released yet. although Im sure it will be soon, especially if patch H of FFH is done soon.

I decided not to wait for patch h. You can get Orbis 0.14 here.

Hope you like it :)

I managed to add shapechanging to doviello. Shamans start with ability to transform to wolf (at least visually - +1 strenght, +1 movement, lower spell damage, much slower node building). When upgraded to mages, they can also change to bears (+2 strength, same negatives as wolf). This is only a basic version, all feedback welcomed.

Note that the installer default is to install to the Fall Further 042 folder. You need to change that to Orbis 014.

Note that the installer default is to install to the Fall Further 042 folder. You need to change that to Orbis 014.

Unfortunatelly, looks like the installer remembers last directory used during installation. As I am using slightly modified Vehem's script, it points to FF 42 if you have installed it. Nothing I can do on this side, I am afraid (triple-checked the script, there is nothing from FF left). Be aware when FF 043 comes out, as it might point to Orbis. I will update installation instructions in the first post. Thanks for the info!

[to_xp]Gekko;7374636 said:
first bug spotted: the duskwood graphics are missing, replaced by the infamous "red blob of death" :D

@gekko hmm.. I see duskwood... is the improvement red blob? or just duskwood?

The red blob problem only applies to civilopedia. The actuall resource uses L-system and it points to right folder, so it looks ok. I will fix pedia problem in patch a.

Got in about 120 turns with the Svarts last night with no problems. Looking forward to the Mechanos next time.

Can't wait to check out the new version. Too much studying in my near future I'm afraid. Probably be a couple days. :(

repeats to himself... "grades before games, grades before games" :D

Are the doviello walls supposed to be purple spikes? - thats what shows up.

Spikes - yes, purple - no. Woody texture is missing, will deliver it with patch a.

[to_xp]Gekko;7377917 said:
it seems like Lanun war tortoises require ivory while war elephants don't, is this intended?

Nope, quite the opposite :blush:. That is the downside of making changes in excel, not on the xml file itself. I changed column KB instead of KC. Will change it in patch a.

repeats to himself... "grades before games, grades before games" :D

Exactly my thoughts. I kept repeating "thesis need to be finished first" this summer (it worked... after some time) and "you got to write that article finally" this week. You got 0.14 yesterday. Guess what happened... ;)

Bug: May or may not be specific to Orbi. A Mutated unit got Enraged. After attacking, the Enraged promotion was removed. However, from that point on, spells no longer appeared in the list of actions available for any unit. Adepts could still learn spells, but there was no way to use them. Other kinds of actions stayed and worked properly.

Bug: May or may not be specific to Orbi. A Mutated unit got Enraged. After attacking, the Enraged promotion was removed. However, from that point on, spells no longer appeared in the list of actions available for any unit. Adepts could still learn spells, but there was no way to use them. Other kinds of actions stayed and worked properly.

How long did this situation last? Was there a notification in the lower right of screen? I am just wondering if it could be the worldspell which blocked spellcasting.

Top Bottom