Culture Victory "broken" perhaps?

Durkhan

Chieftain
Last night a friend and I were playing a game where he was going for a Cultural Victory. He started building the United Nations in three cities. I got the nuke and sent it off hoping to slow him down by hitting his better production city, but I knew one of his other cities would finish it before I could sneak in a victory. By nuking the city, he lost the great people and/or wonder "points" from that city, and the very next turn he could no longer build the United Nations.

If it is meant to be that way, I am curious as to why the World Bank does not work the same way. If I drop below 20,000 gold I can still build that wonder. It does not make sense. Maybe I am missing some logical reasoning here?

FYI, we got tired of beating up on each other and always getting Domination victories, so now have a gentleman's agreement to not attack each other in any way. We also play with a delayed start, meaning we don't put that first settler down until 1000 BC. It is still easy to overcome the AI, but it takes a lot longer and your wins come much later.

I believe the world Bank acts differently because you hit certain gold "marks" in which they give you a great person, or granaries. Once someone hits 20000 gold, there is no way you can lower there gold, unless you take one of their cities, or they spend it.

With the cultural victory, you can steal their GPs, or Nuke them. Because the only "mark" for the cultural victory is the 20th GP, you have to have all 20 to build the United Nations.

I don't really know what I'm saying, but I know it's not broken.

I think it is logical, just as the Domination victory waits another turn, so that others have a chance to take back a capitol. So, in this sense the only one that is broken, is the economic. If the gold amount drops below 20,000 then the player should not be allowed to continue building the world bank. That way it would be consistent with the others.

I think it is logical, just as the Domination victory waits another turn, so that others have a chance to take back a capitol. So, in this sense the only one that is broken, is the economic. If the gold amount drops below 20,000 then the player should not be allowed to continue building the world bank. That way it would be consistent with the others.

That does make sense and agree, it is the Economic Victory that should have been different. You would be able to send in spies to steal gold to prevent a victory at least.

I don't know if that could work the player going for the gold win would most likily be making tons of gold per turn; too much to steal via spies it would have to be by military force.

Gold win is just too easy in my opinion.

Of course culture win is pretty easy too assuming you're not nuked out of it :crazyeye:

Top Bottom