I want Alpha Centauri 2!!

jye42

Chieftain
Damn you firaxis! I demand an Alpha Centauri Sequel.
I don't mind if it's build on the civ 5 engine (much like colonization sequel was built on the Civ 4 engine)

We are unlikely to see a true sequel to Alpha Centauri. However, a new sci-fi game Pandora might be of interest to fans of SMACX.

(Note that the screenshots in the link are outdated. Slitherine announced that Pandora will use hexes, not square tiles.)

Pandora seems realy great! It is very much like AC on a civ5 engine but with some great improvements. for instance it seems that they distinguish between mining and production, finaly! you dont need the hills and mountains to be at the city you want to produce in :)

there are some cool playthrough videos from the betatest on youtube, have a look!

I don't mind if it's build on the civ 5 engine (much like colonization sequel was built on the Civ 4 engine)

The problem is Firaxis does not own the rights to Alpha Centauri, EA does, and lets be honest, they're not likely to sell. That being said, it is not unthinkable that Firaxis might do a "spiritual successor" to AC in the future

They just need to come up with a good title that makes an interesting acronym.
Something along the lines of 'Orion Refuge Event' - ORE
So, the game would be survivors settling in one of the systems in the Orion constellation (rename the system to Orion).
Then, have an expansion that results in the resettling of Earth in the advanced game, via gates or something... and called it 'Solarian' or something.
So, the expansions full title would be:
Side Meier's Orion Refuge Event: Solarian - SMORES

We are unlikely to see a true sequel to Alpha Centauri. However, a new sci-fi game Pandora might be of interest to fans of SMACX.

(Note that the screenshots in the link are outdated. Slitherine announced that Pandora will use hexes, not square tiles.)

Thanks for the treat

The problem is Firaxis does not own the rights to Alpha Centauri, EA does, and lets be honest, they're not likely to sell. That being said, it is not unthinkable that Firaxis might do a "spiritual successor" to AC in the future

Oh that's why Firaxis removed the Alpha Centauri section on their website. One reason the more to hate EA. Certainly my favourite Sid Meier's game.

Firaxis should call it "Sid Meier's Proxima Centauri" and base it on the civ 6 engine.. :)

Thanks for the link, that looks good. I just happen to have a few dollars in my PayPal account too. I guess I'll be busy this weekend.

Certainly my favourite Sid Meier's game.

Sid Meier had absolutely nothing to do with the game other than put his name on it. Brian Reynolds was the designer. He was started out doing Civ 3 as well, but he left Firaxis to start his own company, Big Huge Games, which produced Rise of Nations.

Shouldn't be too hard to make a tech tree, building, and unit mod to go with this mod:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=220026971

There is another mod by the same author which adds the AC civs and another that replaces the social policies with the civic options from SMAC. The UAs and UUs appear very weak until you consider the game was intended to be played on info era advanced start with another mod that adds several more eras in the future. The author also claims to be working on a total conversion mod. I'm looking forward to the total conversion mod.

**shudders when thinking about the Civ5 engine**

For the love of god create a new engine. One unit per tile is horrible, not to mention the game is horribly slow and clunky.

Just last week I went from playing SMAC (very fast gameplay), to attempting to play Civ5 (with long load times, and time between turns), and I couldn't do it. I officially give up on Civ5. I want to like it, but I just don't.

Thanks for the Pandora link. Looking at metacrtic reviews it seems to be middle of the road success in recreating SMAC, with linear/shallow gameplay being the biggest complaint.

I so want a SMAC2, and would hope any successor keeps the three things I loved about it:

- scientifically accurate future tech (nothing pisses me off more than technobable that I can tear up with a highschool physics education)
- customizable units
- factions based on no-BS political science

Given that EA are a bunch of dicks, I think it is cool to come up with names to help them get around building a civ successor. Some I have heard are:

- Sid Meier's Proxima Centauri - SMPC
- Sid Meier's Orion Refuge Event: Solarian - SMORES
- Sid Meier's Alpha Civilization: SMAC
- Sid Meier's Exim Civilization: SMEC (Exim means Next in Latin)
- Sid Meier's Civ: Barnard's Star (3rd closest star to Sol)
- Sid Meier's Civilization in Sirius : SMCIS (Sirius also a close star system)
- Sid Meier's Rigel Kentaurus Civilization (Rigel Kentaurus is the system for Alpha and Beta Centauri)
- Sid Meier's Colonizing Centauri

my fav:
- Sid Meier's Diaspora Earth

Wouldn't it be nice once that FTL communication/travel get discovered that SMAC colonists go back to earth and reconquer?

Thanks for the Pandora link. Looking at metacrtic reviews it seems to be middle of the road success in recreating SMAC, with linear/shallow gameplay being the biggest complaint.

You shouldn't count it out just yet, it's very much a work in progress. Many of the complaints in that review have already been dealt with and there's continuing work being done with it. It's worth keeping an eye on at least.

scientifically accurate future tech (nothing pisses me off more than technobable that I can tear up with a highschool physics education)

Electron are not hadrons, Zakharov!

Electron are not hadrons, Zakharov!

"Behind atoms we find electrons, and behind electrons, quarks."
Yeah I also cringed at that one. But what do you expect from a university administrator? He obviously wasn't one of the researchers.

For I have tasted the fruit, my ass. Maybe that fruit was partially fermented.

Baring this mistake in the very beginning of the freaking game, I find the rest of the pseudo science and technobable in SMAC much more convincing than other games/TV shows/movies.

I think it is cool to come up with names to help them get around building a civ successor. Some I have heard are:
…………..
my fav:
- Sid Meier's Diaspora Earth

Wouldn't it be nice once that FTL communication/travel get discovered that SMAC colonists go back to earth and reconquer?

I’ve always thought that playing on an Earth map is too constricting: you already know the layout of the continents. Also, what would be the 8th Faction then? Barbarians from the fallen global civilizations?

I do like the theme of “Diaspora” you mention above, but on a more galactic level. Say once the Factions re-discover spaceflight they stumble upon how the Progenitors were able to roam the galaxy back in their day: wormholes! Once the Factions are able to understand how to navigate these wormholes they then start exploring the galaxy en-masse, i.e. a Diaspora of Humanity as each Faction seeks out their own version of Eden. Conflicts would arise as Factions battle over more choice real estate, or squabbling over artifacts from ancient alien civilizations. This approach could also be used to explain why the Progs never visited Earth – simply say that no wormholes connect to the Sol system.
This approach also lends itself better to the game's worldbuilder being able to generate a myriad of different planetary maps: from tiny rocks to huge waterworlds, and everything in between.
The other piece of the puzzle is the 8th Faction. Since the PlanetMind and its related denizens (mindworms, Fungal Towers, Sealurks, fungus, etc.) were only resident on a handful of planets, then I think having another option available is viable. What I’ve played around with in the past is a variant of the von Neumann machines.
For those unfamiliar with von Neumann machines, here is an explanation:
In theory, a self-replicating spacecraft could be sent to a neighbouring star-system, where it would seek out raw materials (extracted from asteroids, moons, gas giants, etc.) to create replicas of itself. These replicas would then be sent out to other star systems. The original "parent" probe could then pursue its primary purpose within the star system. This mission varies widely depending on the variant of self-replicating starship proposed.
Yet another variant on the idea of the self-replicating starship is that of the "seeder" ship. Such starships might store the genetic patterns of lifeforms from their home world, perhaps even of the species which created it. Upon finding a habitable exoplanet, or even one that might be terraformed, it would try to replicate such lifeforms — either from stored embryos (see: embryo space colonization) or from stored information using molecular nanotechnology to "build" zygotes with varying genetic information from local raw materials.
Such ships might be terraforming vessels, preparing colony worlds for later colonization by other vessels, or — should they be programmed to recreate, raise, and educate individuals of the species that created it — self-replicating colonizers themselves.

The variant of von Neumann I envision for SMAC2 falls in line with the “seeder ship” theme in that the probes enter a solar system, locate a “habitable” planet, and establish themselves on it by terraforming it to an ideal state (i.e. vegetation and humus on land, as well as generating a corresponding aquatic ecosystems to their masters pre-programmed needs). The von Neumann probes would then go dormant and await the arrival of their masters. The humans who would then stumble in and colonize these worlds would then be the “fly in the ointment” as it were, as their own terraforming would conflict with that of the von Neumann machines: the more heavily the humans terraform a world, the more it would conflict with the ideal ecosystems established by the von Neumann probes, thus reviving the probes and their mandate of terraforming to their own ideals. The darker side to these von Neumann probes would be that they have programmed into them the capabilities to destroy existing civilizations on targeted worlds: these would manifest themselves via analogies to the mindworms, spore launchers, sealurks, fungal towers, etc.

D

"Behind atoms we find electrons, and behind electrons, quarks."
Yeah I also cringed at that one. But what do you expect from a university administrator? He obviously wasn't one of the researchers.

For I have tasted the fruit, my ass. Maybe that fruit was partially fermented.

Baring this mistake in the very beginning of the freaking game, I find the rest of the pseudo science and technobable in SMAC much more convincing than other games/TV shows/movies.

Nope. Since his live expectancy is artificially extended, probably senility stroke him much more than we might think. :lol:

==

Otherwise, have anyone tried PlanetFall mod from Civ4? I haven't, but it might have the placebo effect while waiting the miracle to happen.

Although SMAC was impressively addictive and a great game, what stopped me at some point was the terrible AI. Games after games, I found it irritating. I'm hoping, if SMAC2 happens, the AI will be decent and obviously not fall into the Civ5 mistakes.
And also the moderate to strong bias to attacking units. IIRC, but maybe I have also tasted the fermented fruit (lol), techs allowed stronger attacking weapons earlier than defensive ones. And that was a strong gameplay mistake. Defense should always having prime importance. Otherwise, it becomes a game of who attacks first, hence sentry like units are most important.

Nope. Since his live expectancy is artificially extended, probably senility stroke him much more than we might think. :lol:

i had a game with custom rules with random agendas, Zak was a strong believer in fundamentalism. I LOLed :)

Although SMAC was impressively addictive and a great game, what stopped me at some point was the terrible AI. Games after games, I found it irritating. I'm hoping, if SMAC2 happens, the AI will be decent and obviously not fall into the Civ5 mistakes.
And also the moderate to strong bias to attacking units. IIRC, but maybe I have also tasted the fermented fruit (lol), techs allowed stronger attacking weapons earlier than defensive ones. And that was a strong gameplay mistake. Defense should always having prime importance. Otherwise, it becomes a game of who attacks first, hence sentry like units are most important.

You get stronger weapons faster, but defense gets access to special abilities that levels the field: ECM, AAA, Perimeter Defense, Bunkers. On the ground and air, everything can be countered.

The problem si however with naval warfare, as more often than not, those who attack first = win.

Top Bottom