Afraid AI

Shikieiki

Chieftain
This just happened to me, on prince, standard, custom earth map 22 civ. They were all friendly and then suddenly on the same turn they all went afraid one by one.

Spoiler :

Guarded stayed Guarded.

Anybody else got this? In gods and kings I managed to get afraid sometimes it's hard but now it was totally unintentional... and almost everyone?

Judging on your score and their score, did you go on a killing spree? If you wiped out several capitals that might be the reason for some to be afraid, but I never saw that many all afraid at once

Not at all, that's why I'm confused... I never attacked anybody in this game except defending someone or stuff like that.

I've honestly never seen that attitude myself - despite having that same sort of massive lead. You have to have done SOMETHING, right? Or maybe it's just a bug?

Side note, love the name.

I got that in a game where I was alone on an island/small continent and NEVER ONCE declared war the entire game. But I think I got it after building nukes, so that may trigger it.

I thought "Afraid" was just a tendency of some AIs to respond to someone who has a strong military - in G&K I had plenty of cases where some AIs would be Afraid of me even though I haven't declared a single war, but I had a lot of troops and using them to fight barbarians.

I've honestly never seen that attitude myself - despite having that same sort of massive lead. You have to have done SOMETHING, right? Or maybe it's just a bug?

Side note, love the name.

And I love your avatar :p

I got that in a game where I was alone on an island/small continent and NEVER ONCE declared war the entire game. But I think I got it after building nukes, so that may trigger it.

I think that's is it, I build an Atomic bomb, and next turn they all went Afraid.
So that mean nukes make the AI afraid... That's a nice touch they added then.
But how do they even know I build one...

But why are Guarded remaining Guarded? What's the purpose of scaring your friends and not the civs who dislikes you?
And Afraid doesn't seems to change anything except that all the negatives stuff that you've with the civ show up. (wonders coveted etc)

I've just noticed that it affects trade, open border for open borders they will say "the offer is generous" so I could get open border for less.

If you're dominating the game, the AI becomes afraid.

They used to do this for 1 turn usually right before they start to hate you and denounce, but in BNW its much more consistent and they will stay afraid.

The Afraid posture also doesn't replace your underlying relations. If they were friendly before and have declarations of friendships with you, those will still function and you can still renew it over time.

I had a Civ stay afraid as I pulled to victory in my 1st BNW game and it stayed afraid right to the end of the game.

I think their fear is based on your military power, score, A-bomb monopoly, tech advantage and overall economy. No so much how many civs you killed.

Did they try to enact outlawing nukes in the world congress? I seriously hope the AI is smart enough to band together and enact this kind of policy!

Did they try to enact outlawing nukes in the world congress? I seriously hope the AI is smart enough to band together and enact this kind of policy!

Nope, I was host and I proposed my idea while other afraid AI proposed international games or something like that.

And I love your avatar :p

I think that's is it, I build an Atomic bomb, and next turn they all went Afraid.
So that mean nukes make the AI afraid... That's a nice touch they added then.
But how do they even know I build one...

But why are Guarded remaining Guarded? What's the purpose of scaring your friends and not the civs who dislikes you?
And Afraid doesn't seems to change anything except that all the negatives stuff that you've with the civ show up. (wonders coveted etc)

I've just noticed that it affects trade, open border for open borders they will say "the offer is generous" so I could get open border for less.

Well there's tourism and trade routes now so apparently everything you do is transparent. Word must spread pretty fast.

I can collaborate that building an atomic bomb caused several AI, that were previously friendly/hostile to me, to suddenly become "afraid." One previously hostile AI even suddenly offered me a DoF, apparently out of fear.

Spoiler :

(Very next turn he denounced me, but still feared my might. It was a little surreal.)

I can collaborate that building an atomic bomb caused several AI, that were previously friendly/hostile to me, to suddenly become "afraid." One previously hostile AI even suddenly offered me a DoF, apparently out of fear.

[...]

(Very next turn he denounced me, but still feared my might. It was a little surreal.)

Yeah no luck for me, the fact that Afraid made some AI become Guarded after didn't change much...

Well there's tourism and trade routes now so apparently everything you do is transparent. Word must spread pretty fast.

I think the AI can know by the same way you can see AI's planes, atomic bomb acting like an airplane in the city.

Top Bottom