Patch Question: Do BTS patches include Warlords updates?

skdyer

Chieftain
Just purchased Civ IV Gold Edition and Beyond the Sword so I've got the complete package. I just updated BTS with the latest patch that was released this week (v3.17). Does that patch give me the latest updates for BTS, Warlords and Civ IV or do I need to get the latest patch for each component separately? Like do I need the latest Civ IV patch, the latest Warlords patch and the latest BTS patch. Please advise.

I don't think it does but I don't know why you would keep playing warlords when you have BTS. So if you do want to play them all, you need to install each patch separately.

I am a newbie so perhaps I don't understand the structure of the expansions fully. I was under the impression that they build upon each other. Therefore, if I am playing BTS I have all of the Warlord functionality. Hence my question is, do BTS patches provide the latest updates to all of the added BTS functionality and the added Warlords functionality and the base game functionality? Does this make sense?

They do build on each other but they are all separate games. BTS has all the warlords content included, but you only need to patch for BTS. BTS has whole separate issues and needs separate fixes. I don't know if that was exactly coherent but what I'm trying to say in a nutshell is you only need to patch BTS to fix BTS.

They build on each other in the sense that civs/units/concepts from Warlords are part of the BTS game too. However each one has a separate executable and separate rules.

If you are just playing BTS, then the BTS patch updates everything you need. But if you want to load up the Warlords executable and play a game under the warlords rules only, then you want to have Warlords patched too. Similarly for Vanilla.

My god a double cross post with the same two people. Don't see that everyday.

I'd like to point out that I beat him both times and am thus a ninja :ninja:

To put it simply, Warlords is almost completely unnessecary because Beyond the Sword encompasses everything it brought and more (with the exception of a few scenarios).

Besides all this, there are no new patches for Warlords and vanilla. BtS automatically installed the final versions of each one before it installed the expansion itself. So you don't have to worry about it anyway as you are already fully updated with those. No new patches for either have been released since BtS came out.

Well, I do guess this is more appropriate:

Welcome to posting. :beer:

Just to add here, in case someone uses this thread as reference:

BtS 3.17 updates both 1.74 and 2.13 DLL ( vanilla and warlords , respectively ). It does not have any effects in normal gameplay, but it can cause problems with Vanilla and warlords HoF and in some other mods. I stumbled on this while making a map for a PBEM game in a vanilla mod, and as it is not documented in the 3.17 patch changelog.....

Top Bottom