Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Well, that depends. In some situations it could be the best use of the leader. E.g. if it's still early in a long-running spaceship or UN game.

I even used an MGL for FP recently in a quick and dirty Domination game, however, that was in a PtW game, where the FP is much more powerful while Armies are more or less wasted. In a C3C game I might have chosen an Army instead. But as it was, the FP allowed me getting a second core up and running very early, and that sped up the conquering of the world much more than an Army would have.

Yeah but that's different

In PTW you can abuse Forbidden Palace to wreck corruption

In Conquests it's determined by map and number of cities

So your 2nd best city will be getting it - I usually give it to the best shields/production

Nope, cash/forest rushing won't let you cheat for wonders

What the ... You mean I can't chop a forest while building a temple, say, and then switch to a GW? If not, then I am an even bigger moron than I thought. I have been chopping forests for GWs for years without noticing I wasn't getting anywhere. I may give this game up :mad:

What the ... You mean I can't chop a forest while building a temple, say, and then switch to a GW? If not, then I am an even bigger moron than I thought. I have been chopping forests for GWs for years without noticing I wasn't getting anywhere. I may give this game up :mad:
No, don't do that!

Look at it this way: Up until the beginning of this year, despite having read nearly everything in the CFC War Academy at some point, I was still struggling at Monarch (in Vanilla). Thanks mainly to what I've learned here in the last 6 months, I'm already looking forward to having a solo go at some Small Emp maps, with the full intention of upping to DG if Emp turns out to be too 'easy' for me now. (Once I've got this bloomin' Chinese grind done with, anyway...)

Conversely, when you first started your 'Beyond warmongering' thread, despite not knowing half the game mechanics, or habitually using (m)any of the human tricks, you could already beat the game occasionally at Emp level (i.e. you were a better player than me, who hadn't even dared attempt Emp yet). Now having had some great feedback, you say Emp's now a cakewalk and you're making serious attempts at DG-Pangaeas (admittedly with the Mayans, but still ;) ).

So why give up now? You're just getting started!

No, don't do that!

Look at it this way: Up until the beginning of this year, despite having read nearly everything in the CFC War Academy at some point, I was still struggling at Monarch (in Vanilla). Thanks mainly to what I've learned here in the last 6 months, I'm already looking forward to having a solo go at some Small Emp maps, with the full intention of upping to DG if Emp turns out to be too 'easy' for me now. (Once I've got this bloomin' Chinese grind done with, anyway...)

Conversely, when you first started your 'Beyond warmongering' thread, despite not knowing half the game mechanics, or habitually using (m)any of the human tricks, you could already beat the game occasionally at Emp level (i.e. you were a better player than me, who hadn't even dared attempt Emp yet). Now having had some great feedback, you say Emp's now a cakewalk and you're making serious attempts at DG-Pangaeas (admittedly with the Mayans, but still ;) ).

So why give up now? You're just getting started!

In view of this encouragement, I will soldier on a while longer :). I am learning the Babylonians at Emp level now. I think I must absorb lesson about transferring pop. from outer cities to inner. I am too slow getting my inner core up to size 12. I also need to do something about my shockingly bad pre-building.

Your post has made me wonder what I might be good at. Hmm. Defence, maybe, although I don't think I do anything special.

Planting forests on faraway borders is always one dirty trick. The Babylonians are the candidates for a cultural victory, surely you already know that. Libraries, temples, free techs so you can get some wonders early… I usually never get around to building The Internet GW because I can get them by then.

The Babylonians are the candidates for a cultural victory, surely you already know that. Libraries, temples, free techs so you can get some wonders early… I usually never get around to building The Internet GW because I can get them by then.

In Conquests, the Babylonians are surely not a good choice for a fast 100k game. Pop-rushing in Feudalism and never learning Education so that ToA doesn't expire means you want an agricultural civ. Celts are the clear winner - agricultural, religious, and with a 2-move UU early on. Don't learn Feudalism until you've finished warring (so as not to end up "upgraded" to MI), then switch and pop-rush your ICS'd lands to victory in a tedious 100 turns.

Hello

Can someone please make a video on how to install downloaded units to my game I have read the post and they were not helpful to me. This is the first time I have ever download a MOD for anything Or at least provide a clear explanation on how to do this please!!

Welcome to the forum(s)!

Have you checked the tutorials section?

Hello! I have a Civ 3 question. I've only had it a few days so I'm still figuring out what's new about it compared to Civ II which I played forever. My main question now is why am I losing the game and why are other civilizations completely destroyed after just losing one city?? Not sure which I option I need to deselect to fix this. Thanks for any help!

Hello! I have a Civ 3 question. I've only had it a few days so I'm still figuring out what's new about it compared to Civ II which I played forever. My main question now is why am I losing the game and why are other civilizations completely destroyed after just losing one city?? Not sure which I option I need to deselect to fix this. Thanks for any help!
If loss of a single city causes a Civ to die, you must have the 'Elimination' victory condition turned on. If you want you and your opponents to survive at least a little longer, turn it off (on the 'New game' setup page where you choose opponents and difficulty level, make sure the relevant box is unchecked).

one of the biggest additions from Civ2 (amazing game) is

A: Culture borders which define your empire
B: the use of luxuries and resources to 1: keep the people happy 2: as a requirement to build stuff.
C: Trade routes, but if you build roads you'll be alright (read the civilopedia on this one)

Rivers don't communicate cities anymore, ColdWar. :)

What if any is the point of the palace you get to construct in the F9(?) window? It doesn't seem to tie into the game at all.

Also, unrelated to that, does anyone recommend playing the optional rules like regicide and such? TBH I don't even know what they mean.

What if any is the point of the palace you get to construct in the F9(?) window? It doesn't seem to tie into the game at all.
The F9 screen itself is just eye-candy -- you can't 'build' the Palace with F9, you can only look at it. You get the option to add to your Palace when your citizens are happy with your rule, so the Palace-building serves as a reward-system to let you know you're progressing well in your current game (CivDOS had this feature -- and I assume CivII also). I'm not sure what the actual trigger for a 'Palace expansion' is, though -- I assume you have to have a certain minimum number of cities, and/or a certain level of happiness (e.g. No rioting anywhere? A specific percentage of cities celebrating WLTKDs?), perhaps also for a specific number of turns. (IIRC, the Palace improvements also get shown on the bird's-eye view of your capital city, but I look at those screens so rarely, I can't remember for sure).
Also, unrelated to that, does anyone recommend playing the optional rules like regicide and such? TBH I don't even know what they mean.
As I understand it, apart from the 'Wonder' VC, most of those optional VCs are intended for multiplayer human vs. human games, e.g. LAN-games, or PBEM, which are played 1T at a time, in order to shorten the games. AFAIK:
  • 'Wonder' = build all(?) the GWonders yourself. TBH, I have a hard time believing that this would even be possible at any level above Regent in a single-player C3C game (in Vanilla you might be able to do it at Monarch/Emp by warmongering, MGL-fishing and Wonder-rushing, but this isn't a valid VC for Vanilla -- you'd probably win a Culture-VC though!)
  • 'Elimination' = loss of any city eliminates the player who owned it
  • 'Regicide' = each player starts with a single D=1(?) 'King' unit (which is unbuildable in-game): if it's killed, that player is eliminated (in 'Multiple-regicide' each player starts with several King-units [based on Map-size/ no. of opponents?], and is eliminated when his last King dies)
  • 'Capture the Princess' = 'Capture the flag', i.e. each player starts with a single 'Princess' trophy-unit (again unbuildable), which he must protect from kidnap, while simultaneously attempting to kidnap enemy Princess(es) and bring her/them back to his capital(?) to eliminate that enemy(s). (I vaguely remember reading somewhere that this variant didn't actually work properly, but that might have been patched)

The F9 screen itself is just eye-candy -- you can't 'build' the Palace with F9, you can only look at it. You get the option to add to your Palace when your citizens are happy with your rule, so the Palace-building serves as a reward-system to let you know you're progressing well in your current game (CivDOS had this feature -- and I assume CivII also). I'm not sure what the actual trigger for a 'Palace expansion' is, though -- I assume you have to have a certain minimum number of cities, and/or a certain level of happiness (e.g. No rioting anywhere? A specific percentage of cities celebrating WLTKDs?), perhaps also for a specific number of turns. (IIRC, the Palace improvements also get shown on the bird's-eye view of your capital city, but I look at those screens so rarely, I can't remember for sure).
As I understand it, apart from the 'Wonder' VC, most of those optional VCs are intended for multiplayer human vs. human games, e.g. LAN-games, or PBEM, which are played 1T at a time, in order to shorten the games. AFAIK:
  • 'Wonder' = build all(?) the GWonders yourself. TBH, I have a hard time believing that this would even be possible at any level above Regent in a single-player C3C game (in Vanilla you might be able to do it at Monarch/Emp by warmongering, MGL-fishing and Wonder-rushing, but this isn't a valid VC for Vanilla -- you'd probably win a Culture-VC though!)
  • 'Elimination' = loss of any city eliminates the player who owned it
  • 'Regicide' = each player starts with a single D=1(?) 'King' unit (which is unbuildable in-game): if it's killed, that player is eliminated (in 'Multiple-regicide' each player starts with several King-units [based on Map-size/ no. of opponents?], and is eliminated when his last King dies)
  • 'Capture the Princess' = 'Capture the flag', i.e. each player starts with a single 'Princess' trophy-unit (again unbuildable), which he must protect from kidnap, while simultaneously attempting to kidnap enemy Princess(es) and bring her/them back to his capital(?) to eliminate that enemy(s). (I vaguely remember reading somewhere that this variant didn't actually work properly, but that might have been patched)

Thanks. Looks like I didn't miss much.

IIRC, the wonder victory ends the game when all the wonders have been built, and whoever has the highest score wins. It doesn't matter who builds the wonders.

IIRC, the wonder victory ends the game when all the wonders have been built, and whoever has the highest score wins. It doesn't matter who builds the wonders.
Well that would make a lot more sense. I've never enabled this VC, so (Walletta) it's probably safe to assume that Bartleby :worship: knows better than I do...

I have windows 8 and the Steam version of Civ3, and I can't get the no-raze patch to work. I tried running in compatibility mode and as administrator, yet nothing works. The regular Civ3 does work though. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Maybe you should check the no-raze patch thread there, Inexist. :D

Top Bottom