Screaming Orange Pumpkins - RR16B - It's tax day again ...

ah....we're not in slavery...no point in switch now then

Pig - We don't lose movement point over river in this case. We 2 move over river onto the other side (3 moves from Uruk with no loss of movement point). There's already a road which is good, we just need to finish it. I think road on desert is 3t on normal. I think the time to start road west is now and we only need 1 worker to do it.

I can play in the next couple of days. I'm up in the SGOTM (edit: from hell!). I might get to it sooner, but can't tell with time at the moment. I'll at least look at things and come up with an asstastic plan for V. ;)

Roster:
lymond (up and playing)
LKendter (on deck, and probably need a swap)
I won't have time to play between May-11 and May-13

timmy827
vranasm
pigswill
vanatteveldt

Ok...here's my take on it

1) Switch to binary on Writing, ofc

2) If I see things correctly, we should have 8 Vultures in position in about 5 turns.

3) Move Vultures just below gold.

4) Worker west of Eridu moves to road FP. Worker NE of Eridu moves to riverside GH where worker was and then next turn onto FP to finish road that turn. 2 workers move to road FP 1W. Next turn 1 finishes road on current tile and 1 moves to start road 1W which will then be finished by both workers the next turn. Workers will move back to help Eridu and Uruk with improvements and chops

5) Worker currently mining, finishes mine and moves to mine GH 1E for Uruk.

6) Now I'd like 1 more Vulture out of Uruk, after the one finishes now, and Eridu can just continue Vulture production. However, after the next Vulture in Uruk we can might consider other options like GW, a settler or a worker. Up to the Team. We can continue Vulture if you want, but we only need to take Amsterdam in this first wave.

Not worried about barbs...we'll just hold the 9th or 10th vulture back out of Eridu

Hopefully Will is already producing his 3rd city.

Basically at this point I would play until we get the Vulture in position to attack and then stop for a report.

(Once we take Amsterdam, we can slow down on Vultures and get some infra out or settlers/workers)

(edit: yeah V, I did watch some of the Pacal video. Hilarious and grueling. Hammy war did not go that well. That's about when I stopped)

I think you should play until capture of Amsterdam, as I see it... 5 turns for moving to borders, 3 turns to go to amsterdam, next turn capture amsterdam, then stop.

Well I was watching the first part where AZ stole like ton of workers again and then just quickly skimmed through the HA war and then basically stopped too ;-).

Was very interesting how he stayed with 2-3 cities whole time while teching like hell and stealing workers and all that on Deity and the HA attack time wasn't that bad (against germany) too... he had HBR like T75 which is solid.

But I found out that his older videos were played in quicker fashion then the newer ones. He slowed down his gameplay a lot and is a bit detrimental to my enjoyment, but I would advise anyone from team to watch some of his.

Yep, his game has slowed downed. I noticed that as well. It does make it more grinding to watch, but if you are a newer player trying to learn it is quite helpful. Plus, noobs aren't as likely to have watched 100 LPs like me.

He had so many workers he didn't know what to do with them. His start was excellent.

Yep, I figured I would play on to Amsterdam capture but thought I'd stop just before war to gather thoughts on builds. I'm pondering whether we should expand or try to build the GW. I think we definitely want to try and get Pigs/Gems/Ivory up at least. Uruk can start a settler at full size or thereabouts. We might build GW in Eridu, which is really a fine early city.

Gwall would be very good if still available (my ideal scenario is Amsterdam completes Gwall in the next 5 turns). Something I forgot to do was chat to Willem re open borders.

Actually yesterday right before sleep I was thinking about mentioning we should get out settler for pigs+ivory spot.

We grow to size 6 soonish (aka 8 turns?) should be easy 3-pop whip.

You could switch into slavery at the time of attack of netherlands. when you feel we have enough troops.

I am fine with trying for TGW somewhere...or getting some gold ;-)

we will for sure soon have to be a bit creative with city builds anyway...luckily we can slow build granaries ;-)

Actually yesterday right before sleep I was thinking about mentioning we should get out settler for pigs+ivory spot.

We grow to size 6 soonish (aka 8 turns?) should be easy 3-pop whip.

You could switch into slavery at the time of attack of netherlands. when you feel we have enough troops.

I am fine with trying for TGW somewhere...or getting some gold ;-)

we will for sure soon have to be a bit creative with city builds anyway...luckily we can slow build granaries ;-)

I'm against a 3pop granaryless whip when the cap will be able to build the settler in 6 or 7 turns normally. That might be justified if we were in a settling race for it but I don't think that's the case...but slow building the settler soon after one or two more vultures from the capital sounds good. As you said that's one way to find something to build...

V were you suggesting granary next in capital followed by whipping the settler? That could be good but I don't have time to check the numbers right now (and not sure we want to open that can of worms again :) )

I'm against a 3pop granaryless whip when the cap will be able to build the settler in 6 or 7 turns normally. That might be justified if we were in a settling race for it but I don't think that's the case...but slow building the settler soon after one or two more vultures from the capital sounds good. As you said that's one way to find something to build...

V were you suggesting granary next in capital followed by whipping the settler? That could be good but I don't have time to check the numbers right now (and not sure we want to open that can of worms again :) )

yeah generating settler/worker OF is my usual way of building infra in BC era, too bad we don't have discount on granary.

the jungle will slow Ragnar a bit with expansion, but since we have 0 vision in the area basically i feel under pressure for some unfortune settler party...

it's close for 3rd cities by AI's so who knows...

ah...nothing like a little insomniac game of civ

War went swimmingly. Dutch only had 2 archers in Amsterdam and the copper there did not have a road. No losses taking the city.

Spoiler :

By lymond at 2012-05-10

I probably should have stopped Vulture production in Eridu. Really overkill at this point. Eridu built another worker.

I kept the war going with Dutch for a few turns so that I could scout the area a bit with a couple of Vultures to unfog the north there. Not much to see, but it gives us a better idea of the overall continent.

Meanwhile, Uruk builds a workboat (came to mind when I started that we really should scout more) and a granary, which I whip for 40h into a settler at size 6. Settler comes in 3 turns with the chop I started and is on it's way to settle ivory/pigs.

Not sure where to settle next (edit: forgot about city just north, but we do need to leave room somewhere for Dutch to settle). There are a couple of decent spots. Horse/gold (bad food but worth it) and the corn fish that could be a gp farm. I'm pondering what to do about the stone. Anyway, we don't want to oversettle at this point to keep gold flowing in.

Asoka has Writing, but I did not OB since, as usual, Rag hates him. Asoka may get Alpha first, so we may have to transact with him. Hopefully the WB finds that some AIs are accessible by land or at least reasonably by galley. Asoka would be a nice target. I expect the other AIs are far from Alpha, so we will need to get it from Asoka. Maybe buy Writing and then Alpha at some point, but I'm not sure what all that costs. If Asoka is reachable in some way then we might launch against him. Maybe buying Sailing would be useful too.

I loaded up GW in Uruk with a little OF from the Settler finish and it can get a chop. We might consider building Mids in Amsterdam since it has decent production and lots of Forests. Amsterdam is not a bureau cap for sure. Even if we fail GW, the gold will be useful

Note barb city south of where we settle on ivory. It will share gems and get banana, but not be functional until IW. We should use the Vulture to scout around it and find Rag.

Are SB warrior did amazingly well against one C1 barb archer who did against it. Warrior till had 1.9 HP and is now upgraded to Woody.

We have a nice chunk of gold now. Laid down a quick cottage in Eridu. Key is staying GPT positive.

As for Willie, we will have to wait him out until he settles a new city - likely north of Uruk and then take his Holy City, although I don't know when we will ever get a GP.

I expect Amsterdam may create a culture bridge to a landmass just west there. Not sure if that is where India or England came from or not. Willie may have met someone we have not.

It'll be interesting if we find that all AIs are accessible. May just go for Mass Vulture beatdown.

North view:

Spoiler :

By lymond at 2012-05-10

South View:

Spoiler :

By lymond at 2012-05-10

edit: Here's another overhead view of the south showing a bit of Viking culture:

Spoiler :

By lymond at 2012-05-10

Attachments

• RR16 - It's tax day again BC-1320.CivBeyondSwordSave
    96.4 KB · Views: 58
oh...obviously you can see an English archer down there, so at least we know they are accessible. Not sure how we met India. We might want to campaign against the Vikes now to open up passage to others. Probably not worth attacking Dutch for quite some time.

looks like good job as always L...
can't comment based on save, just SS...

definitely claim pigs+ivory now to block off stone+corn area.

not sure stone has any meaning now for us, it will hardly influence anything regarding Mids with the year being 1320 BC

definitely like Amsterdam with corn, cow, 2x gold and copper...what's not to love about this city? it's stronger then our capital :-D

the west coast from the look at it looks like place for 2 cities
a) 1NW (or 1W) of stone for corn+stone+couple hills
b) and city for fish

we should closely watch Vandal and take it after IW or before AI once it hits size 2

not sure how to approach GP farm with the lack of easy access to CoL. Means once we hit Writing from Asoka we can probably quickly build at least 3 libraries for cheap and run 2 scientists in 3 cities which should generate some GS's eventually.

Agree with Dutch war going on and taking holy city once he settles another city, my guess is that another city for dutches will be somewhere around that plains cow area

welll, Dam has 1 workable gold. Fine production city, which is pretty much what we have here. It will help with building wealth later....all these hammers that is.

Nothing here screams bureau potential except maybe the city I have marked, but that won't be settled until we take Dutch.

Stone would be a factor if we settled on it. Crap city, but it could work a couple of FP cottages early which would pay for it and prep them for bureau city later.

Ofc, we might end up capturing a future cap as well...who knows. Just going on what I see at present. Hopefully, our little work boat does a good job with scouting.

Don't forget food cities for running merchants. All this may be irrelevant if we can go early conquest.

It will be a balancing act though. If 2 AIs are not accessible until Astro then we will need some AIs survive as our only source of advancing with techs other than bulbs.

Also, we should consider accessible land and the Dom percentage as well. Isolated AIs/land may not be relevant in that case.

I find it a little bit :cool: to evaluate bureau potential without good outlook at CS...

I would concentrate on next few turnsets until better outlook on the continent.

You have good thinking about Ragnar - attack Y/N? difficult question. Ragnar is unit spammer for sure and pain in ass.

Don't want to abandon the war with Dutches yet.

The timeframe for vultures coming short...

difficult decisions before us! As I understand it from last LK's post, he want the next TS? Initially though vantatt will take it now once he arrives after his "vacation", but will have probably troubles to get into picture quickly.

We probably have to wait what brings us next driver ;-).

Ha...well...yep...CS is far away, but I don't think it's ever to early too at least give thought to a good Bureau site. If this game turns for the long route, then a good Bureau site will be a boon. Developing cottages fairly early for that site is good.

Regarding Dutch, I think we can ignore them for now. Even if they settle another city it may not be worth fighting them yet if we don't have Alpha. May be better to use them as extortion bait. Only issue now is the extra culture from that Holy City that can be a nuisance.

Another thing is we don't want to oversettle/conquer too early in order to stay gold positive.

Knowing that someone is accessible beyond Rag makes me think we should hurt him now. I expect Asoka might be our "peaceful" trading partner. The rest we extort.

I think there is still quite some life to Vultures in mass on this level.

Oh...one little evil thing I thought of, that I would not be surprised if the jokers on Team A thought of as well. If we go for Mids in Amsterdam and run Rep, we can run some Citizens to get some early beakers. Makes me think settling on stone has some merit.

muhaha start to like the thinking of cheating a bit with Mids ;-)

makes settling stone very viable, but still would like to block, but since there is that barb city now...
not sure not sure which way... losing Mids when you mentioned the abuse now feels sooo bad.

Roster:
lymond
LKendter (on deck - swapped) Earliest possible play is Sunday night.
timmy827 (up)
vranasm
pigswill
vanatteveldt

Let's stick to the ivory...too good...and pull out a quick settler in Eridu. We still need a road or 2 to hook up that city anyway.

Let's stick to the ivory...too good...and pull out a quick settler in Eridu. We still need a road or 2 to hook up that city anyway.

5th city is maintenance jump for sure... advantage being that stone city can work gold from Amsterdam forever to paying it's cost.

dutch holy city will be 6th, vandal 7th and then there is that coast... 8 cities before currency is a bit too much.

Even 6 cities before alpha can be devastating, but since we have so many gold tiles available it will be probably viable.

Some balancing will be needed.

Will have to check myself, but how many workers we have? still 3? not enough.

Hmm rechecked the common thread for the rules

Code:
- 100% cash after getting this techs:

Fishing
Agri
Wheel
Hunting
Mining
Myst
AH
BW
Masonry
Pottery

- No Rep civic before Constitution 		

- No research build

We are not allowed rep from Mids L... and no research build too with Alpha...

Top Bottom