Can's download patches

WarGameNewbie

Chieftain
Sorry if this has been answered on this forum before, but I don't find the answer by searching.

If I (left-)click on either of the two patches here http://www.civ3.com/support.cfm I get a 'Not Found' error.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

First question: Do you actually need to patch? If you bought 'Civ 3 Complete', and especially if you downloaded it from e.g. Steam or GamersGate, then it should already be fully patched, including the following .exe file versions:

Original Civ3 (aka Vanilla) v1.29
Play the World (1st expansion) v1.27 (NB PTW.exe was not included in my GamersGate installation)
Conquests (2nd expansion) v1.22

You can double-check this by booting up the Conquests.exe and checking the lower lefthand corner of the start menu -- if it says v1.22, then you can be fairly sure that the other .exes are also patched to the most recent version. If it turns out that you do still need to patch, then the necessary files are also available here at CFC.

CAVEAT:
Applying an unneeded patch may cause your game to stop functioning, so make very sure you need to patch before downloading/installing anything, especially if you bought a download-version. In the latter case, applying a patch (designed for the CD version) may cause the 'No CD' bug, where the game won't start -- because it can't find a CD that you never had.

tjs282, thank you very much for the helpful reply!

I admit that I am not sure I need the two patches.

I bought the game on CD.

I'm having difficulty locating the conquests.exe file....

If you bought "Complete" then, even if you bought it with the CD, you don't need to patch it.

The conquest.exe file is in the "civilization III Complete / conquests" folder.
You can search for it in windows explorer.
Always remember the folder you're installing the game (or program) to.
I use a 'games' folder where I install all my games to. Makes things easier to find.

If you bought "Complete" then, even if you bought it with the CD, you don't need to patch it.

The conquest.exe file is in the "civilization III Complete / conquests" folder.
You can search for it in windows explorer.
Always remember the folder you're installing the game (or program) to.
I use a 'games' folder where I install all my games to. Makes things easier to find.

TheoV, thanks for the reply.

Actually, I didn't lose my Civ # install location. It is in C:/Program Files (x86)/Infogrames Interactive/Civilization III

But, when I use Explorer's search field to look for 'conquest' I don't get any hits. I can't find 'conquest' on the DVD, either. Also, I don't see a 'Complete' or 'conquests' folder under 'Civilization III' under Program Files.

Odd. Are there two different games called Civilization?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by buying the game 'Complete', but for the time being I'll assume that I don't need any patches.

If you have vanilla, the name is Civilization3.exe. Conquest is Civ3Conquests.exe. At least in my directories.

Thanks, vmxa.

My goodness, the lingo here has my head spinning.

Sure, I have a civilization3.exe file. When I launch it I find that I have version 1.07f.

What is the patch protocol? Do I install v1.22, then 1.27 (US [I'm in the US]), then 1.29f? Or, are patched cumulative, and I only need 1.29f?

Right then: if you have no 'Conquests' directory (and hence no Civ3Conquests.exe) then you almost certainly have Vanilla, v1.07.

(Yes, that's quite possible. I also bought Civ3 on CD in 2009, through Amazon, so I didn't know exactly what I was getting until it arrived in the mail -- turned out to be the Atari-published Vanilla 1.07 version, from before Civ3 rights got sold to 2K Games)

Compared to Conquests(/Complete), original Civ3 includes:
  • 16 civilisations (vs. 31)
  • fewer government types (no Feudalism, no Fascism)
  • fewer standard-issue units (e.g. no Medieval Infantry, no Guerillas, no Cruisers, no TOW Infantry)
  • an unmodified Industrial-Age tech-tree (Steam-power still gives Ironclad ship-units, Radio is a required tech)
  • fewer Wonders (no Mausoleum, no Statue of Zeus, no Temple of Artemis, no Internet)
  • no additional 'Conquests' scenarios
And v1.07 also has a few bugs (mainly in the Editor, but still...). So yes, you should patch it, and you'll need only the 'Vanilla' 1.29f patch. I used this file from CFC without any problems. Basically what it will do is replace the current version of your .exe file with an updated version. So just to be safe, before installing the patch, you should backup your current .exe file somewhere else (and/or copy/ rename it as e.g. 'Civilization3 v107.exe'). That way, if you find that the game doesn't work after patching, you can simply delete the newly installed .exe and rename the original back to 'Civilization3.exe' (if you want to go back to using it).

Even if the patch is successful, some users have reported not being able to continue with games started under a previous patch version -- but if you can, expect some game behaviours to change a little (e.g. 5-hitpoint 'elite' units which have aleady produced a 'Great Leader' now get tagged with a '*', and can be renamed -- which is really useful for deciding which elite unit to attack with next when 'leader-fishing').

Right then: if you have no 'Conquests' directory (and hence no Civ3Conquests.exe) then you almost certainly have Vanilla, v1.07.

(Yes, that's quite possible. I also bought Civ3 on CD in 2009, through Amazon, so I didn't know exactly what I was getting until it arrived in the mail -- turned out to be the Atari-published Vanilla 1.07 version, from before Civ3 rights got sold to 2K Games)

Compared to Conquests(/Complete), original Civ3 includes:
  • 16 civilisations (vs. 31)
  • fewer government types (no Feudalism, no Fascism)
  • fewer standard-issue units (e.g. no Medieval Infantry, no Guerillas, no Cruisers, no TOW Infantry)
  • an unmodified Industrial-Age tech-tree (Steam-power still gives Ironclad ship-units, Radio is a required tech)
  • fewer Wonders (no Mausoleum, no Statue of Zeus, no Temple of Artemis, no Internet)
  • no additional 'Conquests' scenarios
And v1.07 also has a few bugs (mainly in the Editor, but still...). So yes, you should patch it, and you'll need only the 'Vanilla' 1.29f patch. I used this file from CFC without any problems. Basically what it will do is replace the current version of your .exe file with an updated version. So just to be safe, before installing the patch, you should backup your current .exe file somewhere else (and/or copy/ rename it as e.g. 'Civilization3 v107.exe'). That way, if you find that the game doesn't work after patching, you can simply delete the newly installed .exe and rename the original back to 'Civilization3.exe' (if you want to go back to using it).

Even if the patch is successful, some users have reported not being able to continue with games started under a previous patch version -- but if you can, expect some game behaviours to change a little (e.g. 5-hitpoint 'elite' units which have aleady produced a 'Great Leader' now get tagged with a '*', and can be renamed -- which is really useful for deciding which elite unit to attack with next when 'leader-fishing').

tjs282, thank you very much for the detailed explanation and procedure description.

I'll do the patch as you described.

BTW, like you, I ordered this disc through amazon not knowing exactly what I was getting.

On a different topic, if I may ask.....this is my first foray into computer games outside the sports genre (since the 1970s!), so I chose Civ3 because it's inexpensive. I didn't want to commit much money to this genre until I find that I like it.

Are people who are enthusiastic about Civilization still playing v3 ?

...this is my first foray into computer games outside the sports genre (since the 1970s!), so I chose Civ3 because it's inexpensive. I didn't want to commit much money to this genre until I find that I like it.
Are people who are enthusiastic about Civilization still playing v3 ?
Well, I certainly am. I've only played CivDOS and CivIII, though -- never tried Civs II, IV or V (and have no plans to get Beyond Earth either, heretical as that might sound to some of the users here...). As far as '4X'* games go, I also have an Alpha Centauri CD, and Master of Orion 1+2 from GoG.com, but haven't played them nearly as much as 'everyone' seems to think they deserve to be played.

Spoiler :
4X = eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate ;)

I can totally understand not wanting to commit large wads of cash to something you're not sure if you'll like, though. All I can say is, I prefer games that have replay value, and Civ has that in spades, because every start is different, every map is different, every game is different. I've put literally hundreds of hours into CivDOS and CivIII so far, which for me makes both games fantastic value for money. And I was quite happily playing Vanilla 1.29 up until quite recently.

I joined CFC in 2007, and having bought CivIII, and spent a lot of time browsing this forum, I increasingly got the impression that most of the active Civ3 players here on CFC are using PlaytheWorld or Conquests. That is, most of the GotMs posted in the last couple of years have been for PtW or C3C, as far as I can tell, rather than basic-Vanilla. There's also a fairly active Civ3-modding community, with people producing new graphics/terrain packs, buildings, units, scenarios, all sorts. But again, most of the modders also seem to be using the Conquests Editor as their base.

But I upgraded to 'Complete' as much as anything, so I could see/use the 'Dinobarb' units in the PtW extras (I have a vague idea for an evolutionary/ Jurassic mod, which I haven't done anything about). I was also interested in having a go at the CFC Games of the Month as well, not that I've submitted any entries for any of those yet either...

Right now I'm participating in a so-called Succession Game here on CFC in order to improve my play and learn some new tricks/strategies. I would thoroughly recommend doing that as well, if you have the opportunity.

tjs282, thanks very much for the informative reply!

Your reply sent me to the 'dictionary' (google search)..... so, Conquests and PlayTheWorld are expansions, I see. Got it. And, Complete = Vanilla + Conquests + PtW ?

I'll take a look at your strategy hints later, but for now I think I should spend more time with the manual learning the rules.

I'm proceeding rather slowly with Civ3, due to the fact I have a lot of other activities taking up my time.

BTW, I bought a used copy of Civ3 through amazon for $4.92, inc shipping. What a deal!

Say, on an unrelated topic, I thought I'd also give a wargame a try, preferably a small scale (i.e. squad level), tactical (vs 'army-level' strategic level). Someone recommended Combat Mission, so I bought a copy of it. But, even after reading the into part of the manual and watching a couple of intro youtube vids, I am completely confused as to how to begin.

Does anyone here have a recommendation for a very beginner-friendly wargame? I know I should be asking on a wargame forum, but some of those guys have forgotten what it's like to be a wargame newbie.

Yes, Complete has all three versions. C3 (vanilla), PTW (Play the world) and C3C (conquest. It will be fully patched.

IMO C3C is the way to go of the three versions of civ III. It has many user interface improvements. You can in fact play a C3 map in conquest, but once it has been saved, it can not be played in vanilla.

Years back players loaded C3 save for help and I would load them in C3c,

Yes, Complete has all three versions. C3 (vanilla), PTW (Play the world) and C3C (conquest. It will be fully patched.

IMO C3C is the way to go of the three versions of civ III. It has many user interface improvements. You can in fact play a C3 map in conquest, but once it has been saved, it can not be played in vanilla.

Years back players loaded C3 save for help and I would load them in C3c,

vxma, thanks for the reply.

I thought I'd also give a wargame a try, preferably a small scale (i.e. squad level), tactical (vs 'army-level' strategic level). Does anyone here have a recommendation for a very beginner-friendly wargame? I know I should be asking on a wargame forum, but some of those guys have forgotten what it's like to be a wargame newbie.
Well, I just wrote a long post describing two squad-based tactical games that I've enjoyed playing, but CFC -- or Firefox -- had logged me out when I tried to preview it, and I lost the text (that's been happening a lot recently, not sure why) :mad:

So instead of re-writing it all, I'll just give you the short version:
  • Syndicate Plus (Bullfrog, released 1993)
  • Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines (Pyro Studios, released 1999)
...and direct you straight to this page and this page at GoG.com. They're not exactly wargames as such, but take a look and see what you think...

Well, I just wrote a long post describing two squad-based tactical games that I've enjoyed playing, but CFC -- or Firefox -- had logged me out when I tried to preview it, and I lost the text (that's been happening a lot recently, not sure why) :mad:

So instead of re-writing it all, I'll just give you the short version:
  • Syndicate Plus (Bullfrog, released 1993)
  • Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines (Pyro Studios, released 1999)
...and direct you straight to this page and this page at GoG.com. They're not exactly wargames as such, but take a look and see what you think...

Thanks very much for the reply.

Bummer about losing your long post. I know how frustrating that is.

Thanks for the two recommendations. How would you compare the 'mechanics learning curve' (vs strategy learning curve) vs that of Civ3?

Bummer about losing your long post. I know how frustrating that is.

Thanks for the two recommendations. How would you compare the 'mechanics learning curve' (vs strategy learning curve) vs that of Civ3?
Well OK, it was really only a couple of paragraphs of text, but they were both mini-reviews of each game, and I spent a while rearranging the text for decent flow and resonance and, erm, stuff...

Anyway, as far as the mechanics go, both games are pretty easy to pick up -- interface is mouse-driven (plus hotkeys), point-and-click, select your agent and tell him where to go/ who to shoot. Both games start off with easy mission maps (small, simple, only a few, poorly-armed enemies), and ramp up the difficulty relatively steadily as you progress.

Although Syndicate does have a sort of 'tech-tree', it's pretty small and linear, and there's very little long-term strategy/ planning required between missions (near-zero, compared to Civ3!). Most of the missions don't need much tactical thinking either -- especially once you've managed to equip your squad with Miniguns *B-R-R-R-R-A-P-P-P-P* *BOOM* *splat* :lol: Being designed to run on earlier-generation machines (486 processors no less!), Syndicate has fairly simple in-mission mechanics as well. The AI pathfinding can be a little stupid at times, but you can work round that. And although Peter Molyneaux is also kind of notorious for putting sudden ramps into the difficulty curves of his games, in Syndicate that thankfully doesn't happen until the very last mission of 50 available (not all of which you need to complete in any single play-through) -- which admittedly, I still haven't completed. (You can only save between missions, and the reload-times after each failure were for the most part longer than the times I'd actually spent in-mission. I got frustrated... :cry:).

Commandos is totally linear -- complete one mission, unlock the next, with no strategy/planning between missions. So it's entirely about within-mission tactics, but you have quite a lot of flexibility how you accomplish each one (it's quite possible that any two players will finish any given mission in two different ways). The game is less forgiving of mistakes than Syndicate, in that each squad member has a distinct set of abilities, and each must survive/ evacuate at the end of each mission -- but at the same time the learning curve feels fairer (e.g. having completed the first 19 missions, I could also complete the 20th using what I'd already learned). And crucially, unlike Syndicate, you can save your progress while in-mission, so you can nibble away at the maps in bite-size chunks. So if at first you don't succeed (and you won't!), at least you don't have to restart the mission from the beginning each time. Yes, there can be some/ lots of trial-and-error involved/ required for completion of some/ lots of the maps, but I enjoyed figuring out that sort of tactical puzzle aspect (although I am stuck on one of the expansion-pack missions :confused:).

tjs282, thank you very much for the feedback.

I'll order one of these, probably Commandos, and give it a try after I've gotten more comfortable with Civ3.

WGN - you asked whether people who play Civ III play the other versions as well. I don't. I have only ever played Civ III and have no plans to play anything else. I have played for years. I don't actually know how many. Maybe ten, not sure. My son prefers Civ V but I don't know enough to know why. I do know that I prefer the Civ III graphics over those of Civ V. I know zilch about the other versions.

Top Bottom