I just got Civ. III Gold Edition and I have a few questions

KienjaKenobi4

Chieftain
I just got Civ. III Gold Edition, and I have a few questions about gameplay that I know have to have simple answers, BUT ARE DRIVING ME INSANE!
1. The very first game I played was the tutorial, and even after I learned how to play I kept playing the tutorial game I started. Then after about five hours of playing, a window comes up that says "Game over, you loose because you failed to win in the time limit" (something like that). THAT MADE ME MAD! I haven't played a normal game long enough yet to tell if there is a time limit on normal games too, or if it was just the tutorial that did that (I hope so). So, is it just on the tutorial, or is it on all games, and if so, can it and how can it be changed?
2. How do you delete saved games? Lol.
3. From your experiances when first learning the game are there any tips you could give?

THANK YOU!!!,
KienjaKenobi4 :goodjob:

The time limit is in 2050 AD in all epic games. You can increase that by going into the editor.For your first game play on cheaftain level and tutorial is good cause it helps you get the bascis down.There are good strategy articles in the war academy and you can ask questions in Quick Answers.

Edit: Oh and spearman are invincible versus tanks;)

1. There is a standard limit of 400 rounds of play. Normally there isn't a time limit in terms of hours, though.
2. In the directory Civilization III\Saves\*.SAV you will find the saved files. Where the directory exists depends on where you have installed the game. You should be able to find them easily if you search for *.SAV
3a. If your game doesn't say version 1.29 yet (in the lower left corner of the main menu) then download the 1.29 patch from atari.com or this forum and install it.
3b. As Silver2039 said, read some strategy articles on this forum, play chieftain, try different styles of play (aggressive, scientific), read the forum tips in the strategy section.

Welcome to CivFanatics KienjaKenobi4

1. When you set the game up go to game settings and adjust the number of turns. Im not sure what the max amount is.

2. I have to use powerdesk to do it but thats just me.

3. Ummmm dont go to war without and objective and mind and make sure you have a good chance of success. Or you could learn this the hard way but getting your butt kicked by the AI.

Okay, about the first post: I was still in the (around) 1700s when it came up with that window and stopped. I found the editor you talked about too, I have played with it and know how to use it now and think I might just use it to play games with since there doesn't have to be a turn limit. (thanks for the tip too)

About second post: What are "rounds"? Do you mean turns, like whenever you push the space bar or enter button to go to the next turn? Thank you for the directory of saved game files too, I easily found it. My computer has only dial-up so I'm not going to download the patch right now, it will be awhile, because before I posted I looked at them and (for dial up) they are big files. The only way I like to win is conquest, total, and complete BLOW THEM UP!!!

About third post: I tried adjusting the max number of turns (that has to be why the game stopped, the tutorial was set at 400 turns)and the max is 1,000 turns. That is a lot better than 400, but STILL!!! Why does there even have to be one!? What is "powerdesk?"
I guess its just there to make it more of a challenge, but you shouldn't HAVE to have a turn limit.
Also, could anyone give me some tips on the treasury/gold/tax issue? It is hard, and it seems like even when you have nothing in the treasury you can still make any unit you want.
Also, when you are looking at the map on some of the plains squares there are little silver dots, what are they for? Or are they just decoration?

THANK YOU!!! :goodjob: ,

If it came up in the 1700 that means one of the AI's won by either domanition, conquest, culture or spaceship. Units are built by shields not gold. You need to pay unit support costs once the unit is built. It is one gold every turn. Some governments have certain amont's of units free per a city. Like Despotisim you get 4 free units for every town,city and metrapoplis you have without paying any support costs for them.
You can also play past 2050 if you want but no score is recorded after that.

Originally posted by Mercade
1. There is a standard limit of 400 rounds of play. Normally there isn't a time limit in terms of hours, though.

A standard game lasts up to 540 turns (each time you press Enter, or the turn is ended automatically if you have that preference set, that is equal to 1 turn). You can continue playing past this limit if you like, but nothing you do afterwards will be scored.

That's always infuritated me. Is there any way to remove the limit altogether?

If there wasn't a limit, you would die of starvation. ;)

I was just fooling around with the options and I put zero in for the limit or turns and for the limit of points, and now I have played that game for WAY more than 540 turns (might have gotten past 1,000 by now, and NOTHING has come up indicating a turn or points limit!!! YEAH!!! I have a new question now, about air units! I created an army of air units before anyone else was that advanced and then went to war, and soon found out they are unlike any other war unit! All they can do is bombard, and it seems to always "fail." What do they do?

THANK YOU!!!,

To delete files, just to to C/Program Files/Infogames/Civ3/Saves to delete them. For PTW saves, go to C/Program Files/Infogames/Civ3/PTW/Saves.

:)

Air units indeed only bombard. They're not very strong; especially Fighters tend to miss alot. Use Bombers (or Stealth Bombers, once available), use alot of them, and be persistent.

Edit: Of course, Fighters and Jet Fighters can also defend against aerial attack. Press 'S', and the Fighter will defend the city/Carrier it's in and surrounding tiles from enemy bombing till you activate it again.

WWII bombers did miss a lot. If a manufacturing facility were to be destroyed, an entire region would have to be bathed in iron bombs.

Most players will not build bombers since you can just build tanks and move them in to take a city with about the same cost and you keep the improvments.

does any one know how to find out how many resources are on a map that you made(Iron, oil..)

I think that question belongs in the Quick Answers thread and not here. I don't believe there is a way to do it, unless you drew the map and placed them yourself, in which case you would count them as you go along.

Originally posted by Padma
Don't worry about downloading any patches. ;)

Civ3 Gold shipped with Civ3 and the PTW expansion, both patched to their final levels.

not in the UK, I had to patch (ironically with the American PTW patch as well), to me it looked it was the orignal civ3 and the original ptw reboxed, 2 cds in a new package

Top Bottom