End of Empires - N3S III

OOC: The following is posted with the approval of LordofElves and the NPC High Oracle.

---

The Great Eastern Formation and the Birth of the Theurges: Eastern Ardavan From 800-815 RM

The so-called "Great Eastern Formation" referred to the period of Ardavani proselytization during the first two decades of the 9th century RM in Parthe and Acaya. While at first it was indistinguishable from Maninist and Aelonist efforts occurring at the same time, the Formation ultimately achieved something greater than either of Ardavan's religious rivals: The wholesale conversion of a nation, or at least, its upper political leadership. What began as an attempt to evangelize the key Satar trading partner of Parthe ultimately grew into something very different, as Ardavani beliefs were co-opted by a native aristocracy in Acaya looking to reinforce their eroding legitimacy and traditional beliefs.

Pseudo-Ardavani cultic activity among the Parthecan "Daludites," a group that emerged from Parthecan royal fascination with the Satar culture, had long attracted Ephic interest. Various factions in both Parthe and the Vellari Exatai supported Ardavani expansion: The Parthecan military, as a means of giving their people the religious background to accept conscription and militarization, the Accan nuccia, who hoped to use the Satar religion to bind Parthe closer to their trading network, and even the Parthecan Archives, who wished to have a nearby source of Oracles to help in translating Sephashim documents. These groups agitated in the Innermost Guild for pro-Ardavani concessions and achieved success by 802 RM, resulting in an official invitation by the First Sibling.

Approved by the High Oracle and funded by High Prince Zakraphetas, the Formation was initially a modest success in Parthe, serving to find many converts among the Zarcacen, a marginalized people who resented Aelonist mercantile influence. But Etadevas-ta-Eshvai noted in his first missives to Siaxis that Ardavan would most likely remain a minority faith in eastern Athis, considering the much closer power bases of Maninism and Aelonism.

But then, everything changed. On what was initially a minor exploratory visit to nearby Acaya, which had just opened its borders to outlanders, Oracle Etadevas managed to convince Majarsuc Santhurjao V, the Great Prince of Iolja and one of its staunchest traditionalists, to engage in an Ardavani ceremony, the Insight. Perhaps under the influence of certain ritual substances, Santhurjao had a vision of the Satar god clothed in the garb of an Acajuren warrior, leading his people to victory. He converted privately to Ardavan, and vowed in the coming years to bring the other Princes of the Republic around to his view. Over the next decade, Etadevas shuttled back and forth between Iolja and Siaxis, attempting to negotiate the reforms necessary to accomodate Acaya's possible conversion. Meanwhile Santhurjao introduced his brethren to the warrior code of Ardavan, which the Acayans found surprisingly similar to their own.

The Acajuren Assembly's previous legalization of Aelonism, Maninism, and Ardavan (the so-called "outlander religions,") was seen as an experiment, and a potentially risky one, by the traditionalist-dominated Assembly. And even when fully approved by the Assembly, the tolerations were resisted by the old guard Acayan princes, who remained loyal to an assortment of polytheistic beliefs and cultural practices that were collectively referred to as the Patrimony. Even as the outlander faiths gained converts, the Acayan heartland stubbornly clung to the Patrimony, which involved the cultic veneration of past warrior-kings of Acaya past.

The collapse of Tarvaen and the invasion of Anhalter by the Maninist orders completely changed the calculus in the Assembly. In neighboring lands, the Maninists had undermined the rule of Princes and ultimately replaced them with Order control, or reduced them to the status of puppets. In an instant, all the fears of outlander domination were proved correct, resulting in a massive upsurge of traditionalist support in the Assembly. Immediately, the impetus for expulsion began to gather at the same time as Ardavani beliefs among the ruling class rapidly spread.

Etadevas' great coup was in convincing the Ioljan traditionalists to align Taleldil with the Patrimony. The warrior gods and polytheistic spirits of the past were reclassified as Aspect Masters, Scions, and good spirits loyal to Taleldil, and traditional Acayan polytheistic prayers and ceremonies were adapted and incorporated into a unique Ardavani rite designed specially for the Acayan people. Taleldil (in his Acayan appearance) became the Protector of the Patrimony: Not a new, outlander god, but an Acayan god for Acayans, defending them from perfidious foreign influences.

After returning home, Etadevas managed to convince Siaxis to approve the creation of a leadership position for the Ardavani in Acaya (soon to be followed with an Ardavani leader in Parthe,) a head Oracle chosen by indigenous Oracles, not distant Satar, who had the ability to re-interpret the doctrines of Ardavan in a way that was friendly to traditionalist local beliefs. This figure came to be known as an Theurge. (ephaiar; Ved. Satar spirit-master) While hierarchically inferior to the High Oracle thousands of miles away, the Theurge would be effectively independent of central control. Also, most importantly, the Theurge (at least in Acaya) was subservient to and required confirmation by the Acajuren Assembly, which appreciated having full control over domestic religious affairs.

Patronized by Santhurjao, the contemporary construction of Iolja's first vedas consciously evoked the architecture and symbolism of Acayan polytheism, and the popular response was significant. Its ceremonies attracted the ruling class of the Acajuren in a way that Maninism or Aelonism, conspicuously foreign faiths long associated with the hated Savirai rivals, never had. By 812 RM, the Acajuren Assembly had agreed to revoke the toleration of Maninism and Aelonism 'for the sake of national unity,' and to patronize Acayan Ardavan alongside traditional polytheism, and it was well on its way to becoming the official state religion by the end of the decade.

With the prospect of a coup in the East, Siaxis considered the risks of doctrinal corruption worth taking, given the prospect of eroding Aitahist and Maninist gains in Athis to such a significant degree, especially in the wake of the contemporary diplomatic crisis and outbreak of war in the Kern.

What, theologically, this new syncretic Acayan Ardavan would ultimately become would be a matter for subsequent generations to decide. But the implications for the future from the Formation were profound.

Proclamation by the Redeemer Idrocarsas

The Grandpatriarch has made Accords with the Redeemer, agreeing on various terms, not least that there will be a Conference at Bysrium in the seventh year of the coming decade, barring unusual events that might prohibit it in the eyes of either the Grandpatriarch or the Redeemer in the meantime. The aim of this Conference is nothing less than to reconcile the differences between the Independent Conclaves and the Orthodox Church and reunite the Faith of Iralliam within the Redeemer's domains, and also outside the Redeemer's domains if those outside also wish to be reconciled to the Orthodox Church. We have invited representatives of the Helsian Conclaves to participate if they should wish to work towards this aim, and if they do not consider it unconscionable or impossible. The representatives chosen by the government of Tsutsomerang, and also whosoever else is a cleric of the Faith nominated by a recognised government and intends no obstruction or hindrance, are equally welcome on the same basis.

The High Priestess of the Conclave in coordination with the Archspeaker will select a representative from Tsutongmerang to attend.

We would that the Helsians would give some words in response to our announcement one way or the other - we have no strong objection to a refusal - in private or public.

The Independent Conclaves of Helsia shall send representatives to this synod. However, the same matters that drove the old and new faiths apart in the past may continue to hold us apart, unless our initial grievances are addressed. We do not view this as a likely possibility.

Pertinent with regards to the core "official" grievance and subsequent deviation from orthodox canonical interpretation which caused the schism in Helsia, is the assessment of the Doctor of Trovin, Exarch Trivein (who was of such theological renown that certain Grand-Patriarchs took his name upon their ascension) on canonical theology, the role of the Grand-Patriarch and the reception of knowledge of the Divine. His canonical explanation was never definitively refuted by the conclavists, which is probably why Trovin is still Orthodox to this day.

Anyways this work doesn't address developments since that early period in the Helsian schism anything that comes from syncretism with the Haiao cult or Aitahism (other than to condemn such syncretism ofc) in the specific form of conclavism which is practiced in Helsia. Canon XV however, which is quoted verbatim in the article and the second section of the work, are both very relevant with regards to the synod to the question of the legitimate parameters (if any exists) of Doru o Ierai.

The fact that the perspective of a single man is inherently limited by human error and bias. The truth of the Good God cannot be reached from a single human. Thus, the direction of the faith by a single figure is often antithetical to the advancement of divine understanding. However, when this role is divided, multiple perspectives may better illuminate the idea of the Good God, and through discourse we may draw asymptotically closer to truth.

It is our understanding of the 30 Canons that the governing role in the Church is not to be limited to a singular person, which sets us at impasse with the Old Church.

The purpose of the Conference is to reunite the Church by compromise on points such as those; we are uncertain whether such stringent demands on the Helsians' part have much place in such an arrangement, but we look forward to the discussions in question.

High Oracle Vexakas, having meditated on the matter at some length, bides the Princes of the Satar acclaim Erephas-ta-Alusille, High Prince of the Exalai Sartashai, as the rightful Redeemer of all the Satar.

(Sorry, ambitious folk. ;))

The fact that the perspective of a single man is inherently limited by human error and bias. The truth of the Good God cannot be reached from a single human. Thus, the direction of the faith by a single figure is often antithetical to the advancement of divine understanding. However, when this role is divided, multiple perspectives may better illuminate the idea of the Good God, and through discourse we may draw asymptotically closer to truth.

It is our understanding of the 30 Canons that the governing role in the Church is not to be limited to a singular person, which sets us at impasse with the Old Church.

ooc: That's actually a misunderstanding of the orthodox position you have there. The role of the Grand-Patriarch, as summarised in that article I linked actually "is not as infallible interpreter, but rather as "commander of the army of light" which is to say the leader in the divine imperative to convert the world and combat error and darkness in the celestial war (canon XIII), to rule and to govern the Church in its earthly operations (canon XIV) and act as final authority on matters of faith (canon XIV) serving as the final adjudicator of whether something is acceptable in light of the deposit of faith, or heretical. The Grand-Patriarch does not of himself thus define, but rather protects, defends and advocates the faith"

The Grand-patriarch is not an oracle or prophet. The charism of infallibility has been/is considered to be held by the Church (all revealed religions worth their salt consider their doctrines to be unerring afterall) as a divinely instituted society/organisation/collective and as a personal mark of the prophet and his proclamations. The Grand-Patriarch then in matters of truth and error could best be said to be the guardian of the deposit of prophetic teaching, and the final and authoritative judge of whether any new theological development is acceptable in light of that infallible teaching. He serves in a judicial and executive but not a legislative function in matters theological. The governing role is also not limited to him either, as manifested by the presence of patriarchs and a whole clerical hierarchy, I think you mean supreme governing authority :p

As to the idea that the Truth of divine things cannot be reached by a single human, the orthodox would agree. The difference is they would say that no human can actually know of divine things due to the transcendent nature of divinity (can XII) apart from revelation (via the prophet in the first instance, or mystical experience in the second, with the prophet obviously being of greater universality and importance) from that same divinity (where the Helsians believe empirical and philosophical inquiry can discern such things). Trivein in the article I wrote back in the day also addresses this subject, accusing the Helsian position of being a rejection of the divine transcendence proclaimed in the twelfth canon of the thirty tenets and known precisely through prophetic divine revelation.

-

As to what I think the orthodox should do, well directing the Church is not my job anymore and so I trust merciary's competence to take stock of the established positions and go into the council in a way thats fitting and which doesn't just discount the whole canonical structure.

High Oracle Vexakas, having meditated on the matter at some length, bides the Princes of the Satar acclaim Erephas-ta-Alusille, High Prince of the Exalai Sartashai, as the rightful Redeemer of all the Satar.

(Sorry, ambitious folk. ;))

OOC: Wait, I thought the Redeemer was going to be appointed during the update based on our actions in it. Whoops. Literally all my actions were going to be targetted towards that. I suppose I can't back out now.

IC: High Prince Pharaxes-ta-Marevi pledges his undying loyalty to Eraphas, Redeemer of the Satar, and wishes him a long and glorious reign.

OOC: That seems to be a pretty fair summary of things, Jeho. It's quite possible that this theological discussion will help sort out a few of the more minor issues, and I can see the independent conclaves accepting the contributions of the Grandpatriarch. However, it seems unlikely to me that they'd give his voice more weight than any other's on theological matters.

Still, there might be some agreement towards greater earthly cooperation between the factions of Iralliam. We'll see how things go.

ooc: One must remember that the schism in Helsia is centuries longer than conclavism has been a major thing in the Kothari Exatai (approximately 50 years) or Tsutongmerang/southern Shuhar (contemporary) so it may be fair to say, particularly considering conclavism (as you have said) is not centrally organised and has a degree of diversity (so the theological differences beyond the "core issue" is likely to be broader in Helsia than it is in those other places which come from a very recent orthodox base), that different outcomes in each relevant region are a very likely result.

As to co-operation (or really how Merciary should go into the council, which I would gather is a regional one to do with the specific issues in the Kothari exatai with a big informal gathering on the side to try and hash out church unity), I won't make suggestions since I don't want to give the impression that I'm dictating how merciary should do things, or anything like that. The main thing I want to emphasise is that there is an established position which really can't be ignored (the canons, and the theology around them) on this issue.

OOC: The Conclaves within the Exatai are likely, I'd say, to take a different attitude to those in Helsia. The point is, as I have said, to unify the faith as a whole - but failing that to reunify the faith within the Exatai, or at least reconcile the large majority of Conclaves within the Exatai with the Orthodox Church on the basis of compromise. I can expect the Conclaves within the Exatai to go with me on compromise because I'm the head honcho in the Kothari Exatai. I can't expect the Helsians to be amenable on the same basis. There will be a compromise, for such is the will of the Redeemer and of the Grandpatriarch; the question, in the Redeemer's eyes, is whether the Helsians are to be part of it. Hopefully they will be.

His footsteps are like thunder! His passing is like the hurricane! Glory to the Redeemer of Man! Long live the Scion of Taleldil!

The Princes of the Wheel, the Arrow, and the Wolf send gifts to Alusille.

Top Bottom