HOF Civ4 Update Discussion

Denniz

Where's my breakfast?
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
The Civilization IV Hall of Fame has been updated. 52 games were accepted since the previous update.

Congratulations to Mad2rix for the highest score of the update with a Large, Marathon, Warlord, Domination game for 851975 points.

NobleZarkon was the most active player during this update, submitting 13 games.

Only 3 players were brave enough to take on Deity this update:
Pollina - 525 BC, Standard, Normal, Deity, Religious game for 28263 points
Seraiel - 990 AD, Standard, Epic, Deity, Conquest game for 206803 points
Sgtpeppers - 1300 AD, Tiny, Quick, Deity, Diplomatic game for 41051 points
Sgtpeppers - 1826 AD, Duel, Normal, Deity, Space Colony game for 33561 points
Sgtpeppers - 1475 AD, Duel, Epic, Deity, Cultural game for 40019 points

Gauntlet Results:
G-Major 132 - Conquest, Monarch, Ancient, Large, Quick, Oasis, (check options)
1st shulec 1785 AD

** New Gauntlets Starting **
G-Major 133 - Diplomatic, Emperor, Ancient, Standard, Marathon, Inland Sea, Native America (check options)

A number of players gained number one positions:
Seraiel with a 990 AD, Standard, Epic, Deity, Conquest game for 206803 points.
Sgtpeppers with a 1300 AD, Tiny, Quick, Deity, Diplomatic game for 41051 points.
Sgtpeppers with a 1826 AD, Duel, Normal, Deity, Space Colony game for 33561 points.
Sgtpeppers with a 1475 AD, Duel, Epic, Deity, Cultural game for 40019 points.

shulec with a 1785 AD, Large, Quick, Monarch, Conquest game for 88560 points.

Pollina with a 1110 AD, Standard, Epic, Warlord, Cultural game for 76319 points.

Sgtpeppers with a 2175 BC, Tiny, Epic, Settler, Religious game for 12438 points.
Sgtpeppers with a 1720 BC, Tiny, Normal, Settler, Religious game for 8600 points.
Sgtpeppers with a 2230 BC, Tiny, Marathon, Settler, Religious game for 10819 points.
Sgtpeppers with a 1840 BC, Tiny, Quick, Settler, Religious game for 9123 points.

A number of players gained a composite table High Score (i.e. Any Condition):
Mad2rix with a 950 AD, Large, Marathon, Warlord, game for 851975 points.

NobleZarkon with a 870 AD, Tiny, Marathon, Settler, game for 335003 points.

Was superlucky this update, as in my 60h 990 AD Conquest game, in the end I didn't stomp the whole map (though I could have without problems) but vassaled the remaining 2 Civs simultaniously. It was only after the game, that I remembered Kaitzilla talking of the "Domquest coin" once. Tested and found out that chances really were there that I would have gotten a Domination victory instead of the pre-1000 AD Conquest which I got.

Wew.

Was a great game, got a supersmall micro Pangaea that only had 344 population, but still got 3 cities and neighbours had Elephants and were so kind to build Shrines instead of researching Construction :D . Oracled Civil Service in 1800 BC which was lucky too. Didn't manage to get the Mids early though and Academy was superlate like 1 AD or so. Also didn't get the MoM.

Many congratiulations to Pollina and sgtpeppers for their Deity games, but also to shulec for winning the Gauntlet. :)

Welcome back, Seraiel! Congratulations on a well played #1 Deity game! :goodjob:

Also, congratulations to Stgpeppers for his recent #1 Deity games and to Pollina for his recent contending RLDV Deity game.

shulec, thanks for keeping the gauntlet alive. Hopefully, other players can provide you with some competition in future gauntlets.

孫子武

Thank god, someone reacts. I already though the HoF and its players were dead!

TY also for the congratiulations and the welcome back :) .

Regarding Gauntlets, I'd say that it's time for another Major Deity Gauntlet, then you'll have at least 1 competitor Shulec ! :D How about a "Large Marathon Conquest game" on one of the unusual maps like Highlands, Global Highlands or Ice Age. Leader could also be someone very unusual, like Marathon would really make Sitting Bull worth playing because of XBows, or Highlands could call for Boobica.

The slot currently got only 1 Incan game, so 100 points in EQM (are in) for the winner.

@Seraiel: 990 AD... and Epic speed... and Dutch! Nice work! :goodjob:

I took the Dutch because of CRE and FIN (and of course I still needed them for EQM) . I find CRE is immensly useful in Domination / Conquest type of games because one saves all those Theaters one would whip otherwise. CRE also comes with cheap Libraries and with FIN, research really comes very cheap. I believe he would usually be a good Spaceracer, but thx to Elepult, he can also be good in Dom / Conqest games.

The comment about the "Epic Speed" I don't get. Sossos got a 1260 Conquest on normal Speed on that map-size, I must be faster with epic, mustn't I? At least I got more time to move units, or is something with the scaling of epic speed wrong of which I don't know? I already notices, GAs only last 10T which is a little odd, 12T like it should be would allow 3 Civic switches instead of 2 but I didn't make use of that feature too much anyway since I got most Civics before I entered the first GA.

Thanks for noticing my deity games :) I had some fun with OCC, and the new gauntlet looks ripe for some more practice at it.

Hats off to schulec for the gauntlet win. :thumbsup: It was a tough one to be sure.

Seraiel smashed the old date for his deity entry. Interesting to hear the thoughts about the Dutch, perhaps when I have a hankering for some larger map domination games i'll give them a try. It will be hard for me to overlook Rome though.

NobleZarkon pumping out the games, and I thought I was active!

Thank god, someone reacts. I already though the HoF and its players were dead!

TY also for the congratiulations and the welcome back :) .

Regarding Gauntlets, I'd say that it's time for another Major Deity Gauntlet, then you'll have at least 1 competitor Shulec ! :D How about a "Large Marathon Conquest game" on one of the unusual maps like Highlands, Global Highlands or Ice Age. Leader could also be someone very unusual, like Marathon would really make Sitting Bull worth playing because of XBows, or Highlands could call for Boobica.

The slot currently got only 1 Incan game, so 100 points in EQM (are in) for the winner.
Tell me the exact setting you like. Bear in mind that marathon, large and deity may not get a lot of participation, especially on a tedious map like highlands.

52 games, quite an active update, and I don't think I submitted one.

I'll be in for a deity gauntlet, simply to show myself how bad I still am. :)

Settings:
  • Victory condition: Conquest
  • Difficulty: Deity
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Large
  • Speed: Marathon
  • Map Type: Highlands
  • Required: Lock Modified Assets
  • Civ: Celts
  • Opponents: Free to choose
  • Version: 3.19.003 or 3.19.003s
The choice between Brennus and Boudica should make this Gauntlet very interesting, whom would you choose, AGG Boudica who gets cheap barracks and higher promoted units, or Brennus, who can easily switch Civics?

What I'm not sure about is, that I chose the game to be with Huts. I wanted the game to be as competetive as possible, so Huts are basically a must, I chose a Civ that starts with Hunting, because Scouts get just so much more Huts. I think this is ok for a map like Highlands that usually got little to no Commerce, as it speeds up the game.

If you should not agree and Huts should not be allowed, pick Justinian as a leader. At least he's IMP, so has a good chance to REX towards the mad amounts of territory a Large Highlands map offers. +100% Great Generals should be funny, and the Cataphract is a decent UU for a Conquest game.

I'm not sure, if the Highlands map btw. got Ivory as a resource. If not, this should make the game even more interesting, as it prevents the most common war-approach. Also the choice between minimum number of opponents and maximum number should be fairly interesting, as it'll lead to completely different games, with the minimum number of opponents games probably being a REX-fest with high-tech-rate (throw in Mansa Musa on top if you want) while maximum number of opponents usually leads to more units / AI but slower tech-rate and better chances to conquer someone early.

Enough? :D

Ouch, large highlands... That's as big as the huge version of the other flat mapscripts. Actually even has more landtiles than huge lakes or great plains. At least you'd get an epic game! You can get some crazy strong commerce starts on highlands, it all depends on where you start.

Congrats to all the new submissions! Especially Seraiel for the impressive Deity conquest game, and to sgtpeppers who said after the last update that you'd go for your first deity no1 next, but didn't settle for only one!

I only had time to complete one game since the last update. Then I found out that I didn't have the starting save!!! :mad: Started a new game with the same settings but it might be a few weeks until I have time to finish it.

As for Gauntlets, an emp/imm hemispheres conquest game with no vassal states could be interesting.

Thx :)

Regarding highlands: I already generated about 1000 huge highlands maps last year. Best I could get was 1 or 2 golds, all other starts that contained larger sums of golds were so many Floodplains that cities sometimes were unhealthy at size 1 (highlands also got starts with no Freshwater) and all gems starts were completely filled with jungle.

Regarding your save: Don't forget, that when you generate the map manually (which I assume you did because Mapfinder would have created a starting save) , an automatic 4000 BC autosave is made, so as long as you don't generate any other maps, that save will be in your autosave folder.

Yes, I just rolled a fractal map and started playing to do a quick test. The start was nothing spectacular and I had no intention to play it through. Then it turned out that the map was perfect for my purposes and I did play it to the end. Didn't have the autosave because I generated some new maps for testing in between.

NobleZarkon pumping out the games, and I thought I was active!
Will be even more next time!! Had a weeks holiday so have been aiming towards upgrading my EQM to Emperor, probably going to hit Prince on the next update but hope to make my goal by the end of the year. So a few tough games but also lots of cheesy AP games on Tiny maps, League of Nations just takes so long otherwise :crazyeye:

Will be even more next time!! Had a weeks holiday so have been aiming towards upgrading my EQM to Emperor, probably going to hit Prince on the next update but hope to make my goal by the end of the year. So a few tough games but also lots of cheesy AP games on Tiny maps, League of Nations just takes so long otherwise :crazyeye:

I also already thought about grinding myself through League of Nations, though I'd have probably taken Diplomatic OOC games. Then I started another Space Race. The possibility to get #1's is just too inviting :D .

GL on your journey towards Emperor EQM, but tell me, why not go directly for Immortal? Immortal is almost the same class as Emperor, but people often use it together with Deity, like IMM / Deity. Of course, it would be tough to get the top-slots on the level, because the competition is much greater, but IMM-Elite-Quattromaster of course also comes with more glory :) .

I also already thought about grinding myself through League of Nations, though I'd have probably taken Diplomatic OOC games.
AP win on a Tiny map with Zara and Hatty as opponents takes about 15 minutes a game!!

Then I started another Space Race. The possibility to get #1's is just too inviting :D .
lol :goodjob:

GL on your journey towards Emperor EQM, but tell me, why not go directly for Immortal?
There's a few tricky ones especially having to play Warlords for the Space Colony ugh, as well as the Rock of Ages. Maybe I'll do the rest of my cheese on IMM to set me up for that in the future, thanks for the suggestion!

I would definitely be interested in playing the deity gauntlet game that Seraiel outlined.

Given that this game could take a very long time to play, I'd suggest an at least two month time limit to complete it.

孫子武

I would definitely be interested in playing the deity gauntlet game that Seraiel outlined.

Given that this game could take a very long time to play, I'd suggest an at least two month time limit to complete it.

孫子武

It will definitely be for two months.

Top Bottom