India: HG or Religion?

AgentTBC

Warlord
I've been trying India with BNW and am wondering if people think it's better to rush Hanging Gardens or grab a religion? On Immortal I can usually get one or the other but not both unless I start really close to Uluru or Mt Sinai and that doesn't happen very often. Although I came within 10 turns of getting a religion after building HG in my current game... somebody snagged the last one out from under me.

I've been concentrating on HG since you want to go really really tall with India, but is that the right call? I generally grab the fertility rites pantheon but it pains me not to have a religion.

Seems like religion would be a better choice. Religion can give you growth and more, whereas growth can't give you religion. Plus, internal trade routes and maritime city-states directly give you food, while religious city-states only give you the prerequisite (faith) towards the end goal (religion).

That said, in my experience the AI rarely takes key growth beliefs like Feed the World or Swords Into Plowshares when picking religion, so religion may not be the highest priority. As long as you get one of the first 3-4 religions, you're probably safe.

Top Bottom