How to beat Shaka at immortal BnW?

neoaspilet11

Chieftain
It seems he is unstoppable. It is just 1490 and Persia and America already wiped out. And I'm next in line. He seems he has no shortage of impi warriors. Im playing on pangea, large map quick settings using China. i got 8 chukunos only. divided into two groups for defense.

Chok's will manage Impis just fine. Keep in mind that Impi get 3 movement, so you want a wall of melee units to protect them. I prefer using Pikemen until rifles - swords and longswords suck.

Impi get a very powerful flanking bonus, so you want to try and pick out the units that will break up the flanking bonus first. GWB's will one shot Impi.

The trick to dealing with Shaka is to either wipe him out totally before he gets Impi, or keep him busy with other civ's until you get flight.

Make Shaka DOW on other civs with bribe until you have enough power to defend your cites. or sell your city nearby Shaka to other civs.. If it's impossible to defend before he attack you.

Is it possible to befriend him?

I got unlucky once when i spawn next to him with another civ. That civ got wiped out first and i m next. But in the meantime i invaded a city state

Nekminit Shaka wants friendship with me. Never had any invasion from him after that
Guess warmongers make good friends who are also warmongers

Chu Ko Nus are possibly the best defensive UU, you can DoW him and kill his endless supply of units at home with little effort, while upgrading them to range, you only need a few melee for ZoC purposes. With Chus and good play you can stomp over even Shaka.

Last game I was in the same continent than Shaka playing as Egypt. He wiped out other two civs in front of my face in no time. I just played defensively when he DoW me until he got bored and we signed a blank pace deal. When I got artilery, paid him to go after Monty, and shortly after DoW him and took about 6 cities while he was conquering Monty's. Won on Culture victory :)

In one recent game I had Shaka very close.....he eventually attacked, but my cities were placed in good positions...at least the cities close to him....and he eventually "ran out of steam"....

However, Washington, who I thought was going to be a push-over was also close to me. And before I knew it, he had Shaka "on the ropes" and actually wiped him out totally..... I guess Shaka's mistake in that game was wasting his army on me....attacking cities that were just too easily defended..... ;)

So it seems he can be handled...you just have to prepare for trouble if you see him nearby....

I would try to avoid fighting Shaka unless you are far ahead in tech. I usually just bribe him to attack others and try to set up a trade route with him if possible. If he is fighting all the other nearby civs he will stay friendly because he needs at least 1 trading partner.

Shaka is easy to beat in late game; he'll be way behind in tech by then. It's only early to mid game that he's a problem.

And the early game when he has a throng of warriors and spears that composite bows will have trouble killing.

As China a line of UU behind a river usually does it. +30% from GG certainly helps. He'll train your units up so well (and they need one less promotion than the standard Xbow to get 2x attack at 3 range) that you can do a counter push pretty easily once his attack runs out of steam

Is it possible to befriend him?

Shaka's actually one of the nicest guys in the game if you're not on his warpath, he has a very low backstab probability (lowest in the game if I recall). Just bribe him into going the other way, he'll love you until he runs out of targets and hopefully by then you'll be advanced enough in tech that his advantages won't matter.

Top Bottom