Porcelain: Available, but how to access?

TPQ

Cogito Ergo Civ
Hi,

I know porcelain is a city state specific luxury resource, but in my currant game I found some that was not in the borders of a city state.

I used a great general to pop my borders over the porcelain, but when I sent a worker to the porcelain tile, I only had the options to build a fort, or remove the road.

Now, I'm guessing that Luxuries like porcelain are supposed to only generate next to city states, but in this case either the generation went wrong, or the city state settler was destroyed before being able to settle a city.

So, I was wondering, is this a bug, or just the case that occasionally this will happen when a city state settler is destroyed?

Also, should I try to use a great general and place a citadel on top of the porcelain to see if I can obtain it that way?

So, I was wondering, is this a bug, or just the case that occasionally this will happen when a city state settler is destroyed?

I would guess that to be the case. They probably didn't take it into account since city states can't be razed.

The merchantile CS luxuries don't spawn next to the city-states, rather they spawn under the CS after the settler has settled.
This also happens when a merchantile CS conquers a city, a new porcelain or jewelry spawns under the city they conquered. As they usually raze their new cities, the luxury will stay behind.
Settling on top of the lux will give it to you, but I doubt great improvements like citadel work.

Don't know if this is intended behavior, seems like a bug to me.
I wonder what happens if the city they took was already found on a luxury, or even a strategic resource like Uranium?
Would the merchantile luxury override the previous one or would you get some weird double resource tile?

Yeah, CS are considered capitals so no razing or nuking them away IIRC.

When a CS takes a city belonging to a major civ (Usually bc they were allied with somebody and got dragged into a war), they annex the city and burn it to the ground. Somebody got their behinds kicked by a CS and you're seeing the aftermath.

There's no tile improvement for Porcelain (Since it's supposed to be simply built on top of by a CS), so the only way you can access it is to build a city on top of it, I assume.

Was Maria in that game? Can you raze a CS that she has annexed (they can't be liberated)?

The merchantile CS luxuries don't spawn next to the city-states, rather they spawn under the CS after the settler has settled.
This also happens when a merchantile CS conquers a city, a new porcelain or jewelry spawns under the city they conquered. As they usually raze their new cities, the luxury will stay behind.
Settling on top of the lux will give it to you, but I doubt great improvements like citadel work.

Don't know if this is intended behavior, seems like a bug to me.
I wonder what happens if the city they took was already found on a luxury, or even a strategic resource like Uranium?
Would the merchantile luxury override the previous one or would you get some weird double resource tile?
Ah, I didn't know that was how it worked. I guess you are correct then as there is a city ruins in the same tile and a city state about 6 tiles away.

Good questions about which resource will supersede which. I don't know, but I think I'll keep an eye on it. I want to try putting a citadel on top first, to see if I get the porcelain, as the citadel should give any resource under it, so it might work.

Was Maria in that game? Can you raze a CS that she has annexed (they can't be liberated)?
No, Maria was not in that game. I don't the answer to your other question, sorry.

1. the CS was razed by another CS
2. to get acess u have to build a city on TOP of it...

Ah, I didn't know that was how it worked. I guess you are correct then as there is a city ruins in the same tile and a city state about 6 tiles away.

Good questions about which resource will supersede which. I don't know, but I think I'll keep an eye on it. I want to try putting a citadel on top first, to see if I get the porcelain, as the citadel should give any resource under it, so it might work.

No, Maria was not in that game. I don't the answer to your other question, sorry.

GP improvements only give access to strategic resources, to get a luxury resource without building an improvement you have to build a city on it and hope it doesn't require an invisible tech that only CS are given.

It doesn't require any tech... I'm pretty sure they'll probably address this issue by not having conquered cities by CS generate an additional resource; however, until then you can settle on it and acquire it (I've done that a few times... also made it in my mod where city ruins connect the resource since I made ruins give +2 :c5culture: +1 :c5gold: - increased to +6 :c5culture: +3 :c5gold: with Archaeology - to add a little character to the game and often find the AI taking advantage of this by not settling directly on top of ruins... most of my games end up with lots of ruins across the globe being pilfered by various empires! :viking:)

GP improvements only give access to strategic resources, to get a luxury resource without building an improvement you have to build a city on it and hope it doesn't require an invisible tech that only CS are given.
Yep, I tried expending a great general and placing a citadel on top of the porcelain, but it didn't give me the luxury. Obvious really, but I wanted to try it anyway.

It doesn't require any tech... I'm pretty sure they'll probably address this issue by not having conquered cities by CS generate an additional resource; however, until then you can settle on it and acquire it (I've done that a few times... also made it in my mod where city ruins connect the resource since I made ruins give +2 :c5culture: +1 :c5gold: - increased to +6 :c5culture: +3 :c5gold: with Archaeology - to add a little character to the game and often find the AI taking advantage of this by not settling directly on top of ruins... most of my games end up with lots of ruins across the globe being pilfered by various empires! :viking:)
Wasn't there something similar in Civ4 with city ruins giving you some bonus or other? Or was it Civ3? Sounds like a good idea though that should be included in Civ5 as standard.

Top Bottom