Tech Tree Revisions

That seems very reasonable. Of course, the great painting studios were a part of the Italian Renaissance, but one assumes that people did paint before then, if not on such a huge scale.

That's the job of the Oil Painting and Free Artistry techs. Those cover Renaissance art pretty well. Patronage is to cover medieval art in a little more detail.

Since we're losing a few techs in the Transhuman Era, can we get rid of the Naval Aviation tech as well? Naval Aviation seems like a very narrow topic for a tech, and while it has two tricks with the Early Carrier and the Seaplane, that about exhausts its content potential. I think these would be fine at Aviation/Mech Warfare for the Early Carrier and Aviation/Amphibious Warfare for the Seaplane.

In general, I'm a little worried that the Industrial Era is too large in terms of techs. With Naval Aviation and the Transhuman Era techs cut, these are the tech counts for each era:
Era Techs
Ancient 37
Classical 30
Medieval 29
Renaissance 34
Industrial 56
Modern 47
Transhuman 52

The first four eras are pretty close together, and while I don't mind the jump from the Renaissance to the Industrial, I don't really like it sliding back down in the Modern Era. I don't think there are any other Industrial techs that I'd like to get rid of. What I'm really wondering about is what would happen if we took the last couple of columns of the Industrial Era, made them Modern Era, and gave the Modern Era a new beginning point and name so as not to use the word "Modern". The current beginning point of the Modern Era is anything post-World War II, and I've been thinking maybe there should be a more natural beginning point, but I'm not sure what it should be.

We don't have to do this, but I was thinking about it. What does everyone else think?

What most people don't know is that the term "modern era" typically represents everything after the Industrial Era to the end of the 19th century. The time span between the 20th century and onward is known as contemporary history.

Spoiler :
Although, the modern era and contemporary history tend to get lumped into one. It is totally acceptable to call the time frame post-industrial as one single modern era or split the time up into two: modern and contemporary.

I'm not opposed to removing Naval Aviation, but I'm not opposed to keeping it either. The tech itself doesn't really fascinate me as a tech as much as say DNA Computing might have, but I don't have any real preference for keeping or removing it. So I'm neutral on that ^^

OK, time to resurrect this thread for some revisions to the Transhuman Era.

It was pointed out that not all Mecha units require the Mech Assembly Plant to build. I'm okay with adding this to the units that don't currently require it, but that leads to two things that I don't want: first, I want to avoid hidden prerequisites, so that would mean sticking Powered Exoskeleton on every Mecha unit that didn't already have PEx in its prerequisite chain, and second, I don't like to see too many prerequisites on anything (building, unit, or other) because it looks sloppy and fake and artificially inflates a tech's trick count.

So, I am going to restructure part of the tech tree as follows:
  • Powered Exoskeleton will become a prerequisite for Military Robotics. This covers the Mech Assembly Plant on the Walker Droid.
  • Military Robotics will become a prerequisite for Advanced Computers. This covers the Mech Assembly Plant on the Assault Droid.
The other Mecha units already have Advanced Computers in their prerequisite chain, so they will be satisfied as well.

This also means that Military Robotics and Advanced Computers each get pushed up one level on the tech tree, as does everything that depends on Advanced Computers, which is most of the later Transhuman Era. Only the medical and biological techs are exempt. I've recalibrated the costs for the Transhuman Eras techs to keep the final total as close to the original as possible. The total cost of the entire era is going to drop by a quarter of a percent. You won't see any other changes, but it does make the Transhuman Era a little deeper and a little harder to beeline to a later tech.

Would anyone object if I added Regenerative Medicine as an additional prerequisite for Space Colonies? Space Colonies currently has only one prerequisite (Orbital Flight) and that is something I want to avoid. Regenerative Medicine seems like a natural fit to fully conquer the problems of long-term space survival.

Would anyone object if I added Regenerative Medicine as an additional prerequisite for Space Colonies? Space Colonies currently has only one prerequisite (Orbital Flight) and that is something I want to avoid. Regenerative Medicine seems like a natural fit to fully conquer the problems of long-term space survival.

I don't mind at all, and personally it does make sense too.

Did we get a consensus on if we were going to remove Weather Lore as a tech? I know we wanted to reduce the number of +1 Water Moves from techs. I could move the Ice Storehouse to Construction and cut the rest of the bonuses.

Did we get a consensus on if we were going to remove Weather Lore as a tech? I know we wanted to reduce the number of +1 Water Moves from techs. I could move the Ice Storehouse to Construction and cut the rest of the bonuses.
It's ok to me

I want to add Stirrup (Classical Era) as a prerequisite for Agricultural Tools (Medieval Era). I have noticed that the mounted combat techs (Chariotry, Horseback Riding, Horse Breeding, Stirrup, Armored Cavalry) form a very long thread of technologies that only lead to each other and make it possible to put off the earlier techs in the thread for a very long time. I don't think this is a good thing. I do want some freedom to explore, but I don't want it to be too easy to get far down the tree quickly.

I want to add Stirrup (Classical Era) as a prerequisite for Agricultural Tools (Medieval Era). I have noticed that the mounted combat techs (Chariotry, Horseback Riding, Horse Breeding, Stirrup, Armored Cavalry) form a very long thread of technologies that only lead to each other and make it possible to put off the earlier techs in the thread for a very long time. I don't think this is a good thing. I do want some freedom to explore, but I don't want it to be too easy to get far down the tree quickly.

Sounds perfect to me. :)

I have been thinking about the current Democracy tech. It feels wrong for a couple of reasons. First, I think that Athenian democracy and the Roman republic were big exceptions to the general trends of how civilizations are organized during the Classical Era, and while it's important to allow for such experiments, I don't think it needs a tech all to itself.
Second, Democracy is very badly tied into the rest of the tech tree. The only tech Democracy leads to is Political Philosophy, which is Renaissance Era. This skips over the entire Medieval Era. I don't think this is good at all.

I think the solution to this is to take the Democracy tech and broaden the concept. This is what I would like to do:
  • Rename the current Democracy tech to Politics.
  • Politics keeps Democracy's prerequisites (Alphabet + Code of Laws + Currency) and content (Great Diplomat, Republic civic/Agora, Proletariat civic/Festival)
  • Politics becomes a prerequisite for Civil Service (replacing the Mathematics prerequisite) and Papacy (in addition to Theology; Papacy only has one prerequisite and I don't like techs with only one prerequisite, or two techs with the same prerequisite set)
  • Representative Democracy gets its name shortened down to Democracy.

Do you think this is a good idea?

Usually I end up doing the opposite, postponing horse techs until the medieval era more or less, then researching them all together for knights/riders and then noble knights.

Usually I end up doing the opposite, postponing horse techs until the medieval era more or less, then researching them all together for knights/riders and then noble knights.

That's what I would prefer to avoid. I don't like having techs that can be left behind for too long, either in "threads" of techs without interactions with other techs or "long jumps" where the only exit tech is an era or more away (such as the Democracy -> Political Philosophy jump that I'm getting rid of).

One more adjustment I thought of yesterday. Would there be a problem with making Refrigeration a prerequisite for Consumerism? AND moves Refrigeration from the early Modern Era to the mid-Industrial, but Refrigeration's only follow-up techs are Antibiotics (early Modern) and Superconductors (late Modern), and I would like Refrigeration to have an exit point somewhere in the Industrial Era.

Top Bottom