7 new screenshots and more information emerges from GDC (8th March 2012)

After all I read and saw I am pretty confident that the Huns are in the game.... they may use Hungarian cities.

Lol, no. Wouldn't work at all

The colours aren't right for Carthage, who seem to have been given the grey-purple scheme, though I guess they could be gifted units. I'm getting Mayan vibes from the unit icon though.

Knowing now that the Huns are in the game, it is interesting that they have lost their capital, which has no horses around it.

We can assume, given historical knowledge, that Huns are both warlike and prefer mounted units. They probably set up this game using the whatever-you-call-it world builder program and neglected to give the Huns horses near their capital. Did this contribute to their demise in this game? I would hazard a yes.

After all I read and saw I am pretty confident that the Huns are in the game. Suprisingly I am not disappointed-normally I would be infuriated by a barbarian civ. I am sure that they have better city names in the works, they may use Hungarian cities. When you think about it every Civ usually has an unexpected civ or two- remember the Holy Roman Empire in cIV? At least this one is a real Civilization

Hungarians dont necessarily have much to do with the Huns. On the other hand it is possible that later the Bulgarian Empire was established by the descendants of Huns.

I think best option is to just use cities that the Huns invaded, but are not in the game yet.

Hungarians dont necessarily have much to do with the Huns. On the other hand it is possible that later the Bulgarian Empire was established by the descendants of Huns.

Actually it's the other way around :)
But I don't think there is too much connection between Huns and Hungarian either...

Anyway, there is a decent idea for the Hun UA in the other thread:
They have no settlers, only the capital, and can only conquer other cities for themselves.
Perfectly fitting and very unique for the Huns. Solves the city name issue as well

Back to the warriors in the Great Prophet's screen, can this help?

DetailScreen3.jpg

Cheers,

Desdichado
PS Click on image for larger view

I understand that Hungarians are not closely tied, but they are in the same region and the Hungarians are descendents of the Huns

First I thought they might be Oromo spearman.

But the icon resembles the hat/head of the guy on the right in mirror image.

And the outfit looks a bit like this carnaval costume of a 'Mayan':

So it could be Mayan, indeed.

I think the paler skin color and the unit icon hints towards a Mayan, as others have said the icon for impi will most likely be its shield and spear

Back to the warriors in the Great Prophet's screen, can this help?

View attachment 315700

Cheers,

Desdichado
PS Click on image for larger view

On that glance that looks more Mayan from the shady pictures I had seen before the headdress and shield hadn't looked like it.

But I take back what I said before, that looks Mayan (guess thats what happens when I jump to conclusions).

I understand that Hungarians are not closely tied, but they are in the same region and the Hungarians are descendents of the Huns

Then they should have been Hungary with Hunnic abilities.... at least in one of the unique attributes. Like the UU. I guess Hussars are popular and aren't really associated with the Huns. Still could have worked though. Like German's UA and the landsneckt.

Then they should have been Hungary with Hunnic abilities.... at least in one of the unique attributes. Like the UU. I guess Hussars are popular and aren't really associated with the Huns. Still could have worked though. Like German's UA and the landsneckt.

Honestly, I think there are plans to possibly include Austria with the civ itself representing Austria-Hungary though simply being called Austria--similar to how Denmark really kind of represents Denmark-Norway but is just called Denmark--which is why Hungary itself was passed over. Not that that's the best choice to represent them, IMO, but I think it's the most likely.

Yeah there was a big historical debate about the whole Austria-Hungary split. And I tend to agree they should be separate. I would have liked them to kill two birds in one stone and incorporate some Hunnic/Cavalry traits with Hungary without including Huns as a playable civ.

I will say there could be some evidence of this because Prague was added and Vienna is also Cultural. Austria has a shot, but not a good one IMO.

Top Bottom