Incorrect road linkage

Thalassicus

Bytes and Nibblers
Noticed in vanilla release-version CiV.

This is probably noticed in every game testers play, but I guess even the obvious bugs deserve a post. It's sort of surprising this bug still exists.

When roads link on 2 adjacent sides of a hex and 1 non-adjacent side, the road forks in the wrong direction. The fork points towards one of the adjacent sides, when it should be pointing to the non-adjacent side.

Attachments

• RoadsBug.JPG
    RoadsBug.JPG
    211.5 KB · Views: 5,137
I think what is happening is the road logic is ignorant of the fact that the road split into two, and instead sees 3 adjacent hexes with a road, and then tries to connect to all of them (in a very ugly manner).
I see this, and the fact that railroads will connect with adjacent roads(!).
Is it not true that road and railroad connections give different bonuses (gold vs production)? If so, we would want both connections. However, the worker menu seems set up to replace roads with railroads, and if you try building roads and railroads in parallel hexes to your capital, they snake into each other, seemingly connecting and disconnecting into an ugly mess.
I think this visually confusing and ugly bug needs prioritization, but this is the only thread I've seen here or on the 2K forums where anyone talks about it!

Yeah, the connection logic isn't set up properly, everything ends up a mess.

Regarding trade routes, here's how it works. I included this in the revised civlopedia entry for the Harbor in the unofficial patch. Hopefully this helps clarify the roads vs railroads question. :)

A [ICON_CONNECTED] trade route can only cross between water and land tiles at a Harbor.

+25% [ICON_PRODUCTION] Production building Naval Units.

City must be built on the coast.

An unbroken [ICON_CONNECTED] route of roads, railroads, or water tiles to the [ICON_CAPITAL] Capital provides [ICON_GOLD].

An unbroken [ICON_CONNECTED] route of railroads or water tiles to the [ICON_CAPITAL] Capital provides +50% [ICON_PRODUCTION] (requires Railroads technology).

I've edited the original picture and added some black lines to show the required routes. The simplest correct representation is a triangle.

If you follow the original road system in from the left and try to go up you'll either follow the roads in a circle forever or take the tight turn at a junction. The turn is tight because the roads are drawn incorrectly.

Attachments

• RoadsBug edited.JPG
    RoadsBug edited.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 545
Is this only a display bug, or does it affect movement points, trade routes or something else? Thanks.

Looks to me like a display bug. Shouldn't be hard to fix though once someone gets their head around the geometry.

I'll confirm. In the attached save file, the road spaghetti around Sparta looks like what is being discussed.

Moderator Action: Moved to the Confirmed Bugs forum.

Attachments

• Road attack.Civ5Save
    340.6 KB · Views: 216
So railroads give the road gold bonus in addition to the railroad production bonus?
Fine, but it seems strange that late era civilizations would no longer have any roads, only railroads. I think both should coexist and have a different function.

Actually, it's good to avoid building railroads except when absolutely necessary. Harbors cost 3:c5gold:, and two tiles of a railroad are 4:c5gold:, so harbors are always more cost-effective than railroads for coastal cities. The only time you should build railroads is for landlocked cities (or transcontinental transport).

Gotta wonder how long this bug's been around, and how long it will be? Just so it doesn't get forgotten somehow for patching I'm confirming this is still an issue at the 4-month mark. :old:

This bug still exists -- and I wish it could be fixed, even by an unofficial mod, though I suspect it's too deep in the engine for a mod.

I like watching the animations of my units whisking along the roads, and I like building a beautifully laid out road network, and the triangular traffic circles look dorky and make me less happy with my civ.

It's in Beyond Earth as well. Sigh.

Please report Beyond Earth bugs in the Beyond Earth Bug Report forum if it's not been already.

My thoughts on road/rail :
Road : to connect cities, and to speed armies to targeted cities; whereas :
Rail : to speed up commerce connections, and span serious distances in just a few turns .
Either one, or both, work to smooth out your economic logistics problems !

For those who read Heinline, "TANSTAAFL" !!

Moderator Action: This thread is the Confirmed Bug Reports Forum. All posts on these threads should be on the bug itself. Discussions about how roads / rail currently work in Civ V should be taken to the Civ V General Discussion Forum. Discussions about how they should be changed should be taken to the Civ V Ideas & Suggestions Forum.

I've edited the original picture and added some black lines to show the required routes. The simplest correct representation is a triangle.

If you follow the original road system in from the left and try to go up you'll either follow the roads in a circle forever or take the tight turn at a junction. The turn is tight because the roads are drawn incorrectly.

So the game has roundabouts, the roads are linked, and show being linked, just in an awkward way.

Top Bottom