Blue Monkey's Bharata Varsha Bazaar

Ok thanks!

I have another question regarding the religions, what were the main religions of the Mauryan and Tamil peoples? Are they the same between the two groups?

Virote is correct I think. The Mauryan Emperor Asoka converted to Buddhism whilst in the middle of a campaign against, IIRC, the Kingdom of Kalinga. Having converted to Buddhism Asoka became somewhat of a pacifist, pulled back from his soon to be sucessful annex, and left the Kalingans in peace. Before this conversion, it would be more accurate to have them as Hindu/Jain I guess. I don't know a huge amount about the Mauryans, but I would bet that a majority of the population probably remained Hindhu despite Asoka's conversion.

@ Madeira: I’ve been away for a few days, sorry for the delay in answering your questions. Looks like you got some responses that were on the mark from others though.
im not sure i know the correct names for the following:

Civ Name: Maurya / Tamil
Noun: Mauryans / Tamil
Adjective: Mauryan / Tamil
Maurya is the name of a particular dynasty/kingdom of what might be considered the “Aryan” or Northern Indian culture group. In the same way “Tamil” refers to the dominant culture group in Southern Indian; sometimes they are also called Dravidians. The best choice for a Tamil civ would probably be the Cholas (Chola, Cholas, Chola). While Asoka and the Mauryas (Maurya, Mauryas, Mauryan) were key in forming the military, governmental and religious development of India, the Cholas had an equivalent impact in all of the arts and cultural pursuits.
Also, im using Ashoka as the Mauryan king (of course) and Pandaia as the Tamil queen, if you have a better choice let me know.
I think she’s a good choice (bet you had to read some footnotes to find her name;)); I wouldn’t worry for game play purposes that she’s from the Pandya rather than the Chola dynasty.

Where in the history of Europe there are regions, such as Burgundy, or Prussia, which were politically identifiable over long periods of time despite dynastic changes, in South Asia the same territories were subject to incorporation or independence as dynasties waxed and waned in a way that means the only valid political definitions are family/dynastic names. The European equivalent would be, for example, if medieval France were called “The Plantagenet Kingdom,” which in fact also ruled England and Jerusalem concurrently, or if the all the territory ruled by the 19th century British royal family were called “The Saxe-Coberg Empire.”
Another question, what shall I use as leader name for the Harappans?
I don't believe that any Harappan rulers have been identified yet.
No one has yet translated the Harappan script, although there is some headway with regard to accounting records, so you’ve got a free hand there.
what were the main religions of the Mauryan and Tamil peoples? Are they the same between the two groups?
The Mauryan Emperor Asoka converted to Buddhism ...Before this conversion, it would be more accurate to have them as Hindu/Jain I guess.
Asoka did indeed convert to Buddhism and his son and daughter were directly responsible for its spread as far south as Sri Lanka and as far east as what are today Thailand and Cambodia. Some historians feel, however, that his was only a nominal conversion (like many Roman emperors), since he gave equal support (both political and economic) to the Hindu Brahmins and the Jains. The Tamils were definitely predominantly Hindu, although the best surviving texts of the Buddha’s teachings are what is called the Pali Canon, which was transmitted orally, and finally written down mostly through southern India. In short, divide up the religions any way you like.

Be sure to look earlier in this thread for appropriate city lists, if you haven’t already, and good luck with your mod. I look forward to seeing it.

@ Madeira: I’ve been away for a few days, sorry for the delay in answering your questions. Looks like you got some responses that were on the mark from others though.Maurya is the name of a particular dynasty/kingdom of what might be considered the “Aryan” or Northern Indian culture group. In the same way “Tamil” refers to the dominant culture group in Southern Indian; sometimes they are also called Dravidians. The best choice for a Tamil civ would probably be the Cholas (Chola, Cholas, Chola). While Asoka and the Mauryas (Maurya, Mauryas, Mauryan) were key in forming the military, governmental and religious development of India, the Cholas had an equivalent impact in all of the arts and cultural pursuits.

Yes, thanks guys for the replies, they were very helpful :)
Hmm, in my scenario the main reason im using 2 civs in india (not including harappa) is because im taking some ideas from atlantean myths that speculate both aryans and dravidians came from the lost continent. Im also thinking about making Axum (in ethiopia) a dravidian colony since there's also a theory that ethiopians and dravidians are related. Im making two alliances, Dravida(Chola) and Elam / Arya(Maurya) and Persia, but not sure i'll put them in a locked war. In light of this, do you sugest I use civ names like Maurya and Chola or the culture groups Arya and Dravida/Tamil?

I think she’s a good choice (bet you had to read some footnotes to find her name;)); I wouldn’t worry for game play purposes that she’s from the Pandya rather than the Chola dynasty.

You bet, I know I found her name somewhere in wiki, related to the Dravidian people, was looking for a queen since I had a good female leaderhead for them.

Asoka did indeed convert to Buddhism and his son and daughter were directly responsible for its spread as far south as Sri Lanka and as far east as what are today Thailand and Cambodia. Some historians feel, however, that his was only a nominal conversion (like many Roman emperors), since he gave equal support (both political and economic) to the Hindu Brahmins and the Jains. The Tamils were definitely predominantly Hindu, although the best surviving texts of the Buddha’s teachings are what is called the Pali Canon, which was transmitted orally, and finally written down mostly through southern India. In short, divide up the religions any way you like.

Ok, I got the info I needed concerning the religions, still need to improve the religious system im using in my mod, it lacked any indian religions, just Christianism, Islamism, Mithraism and Taoism. Will add Hinduism and Budhism, and so something with all these religions ;) Any other sugestions let me know considering its a world scale scenario, maybe some religion for the americans...

Be sure to look earlier in this thread for appropriate city lists, if you haven’t already, and good luck with your mod. I look forward to seeing it.

Done that :)
Thanks for the time you take writing these replies ;)

As to civs vs. culture groups: the architecture of cities and weaponry of units would be very similar at C3C scale. The only reason for separate culture groups would be for game play purposes; but then you'd only have 3 remaining culture groups to play with for the rest of the world. IIRC you can have "flavor" units for individual civs as well as varying the UU. Also if you have resource slots to play with, put a certain strategic resource in each of their starting territories required for one of two units that would give them an additional "UU" until the other conquers that part of the subcontinent.

If you want to vary the religious names (Hinduism & Buddhism are both European appellations) try Vedic (Hindu) and Dharma Yoga (would include both Buddhists and Jains).

No, im just talking about what names to give to the two civs, both of them will have to go to the middle eastern culture group because like you said, I need the other ones ;)

Would Dharma Yoga also work for the other oriental civs that also follow Buddhism?

Would Dharma Yoga also work for the other oriental civs that also follow Buddhism?
The name is Sanskrit but the philosophy would carry over.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=228730

Just curious as to what this guy could be used for, and if you've any images to show? :)
Helmet, sword, and armor are all workable, but from the waist down the clothing is not Indian at all. Which not to take anything away from the quality of the unit; I like it a lot, it's just not Indian.

Oh okay, cool :D Any clue as to what civ it would work for, out of curiosity?
With the pants it reminds me a little of those thousands of guys in the background of movies like "Hero" or "Curse of the Golden Flower" but I have no competence to know if it fits any real period of Chinese civilization or not. Maybe someone like Ogedei or Shirou would know.

So.. what do you need? :)

Haven`t exactly seen a gfx request list in the first page?
Basically, any image I post here is an invitation to create a unit. I've got a back log of traditional images to post, including a grip of raksasas and devas (scary looking good guys). Based on that Rakshasa you found, any sort of vaguely Indian or East Asian demon type from the game would be good, preferably labeled as to game/supplement source. Kali and lots of the raksasa type demons have blue skin shading towards black. They're also shape changers so there's a lot of wiggle room as to images.

-> Post to remind myself to get you ingame screenshots of the Rakshasi.

-> Post to remind myself to get you ingame screenshots of the Rakshasi.
Thar ya go. I made pics of the Rani also because it was much easier. The Raja is just too big, it either doesn't fit in the camera or the camera can't get any lower to give a down-top view.

Anyway, here are the pics.
Rani:
Spoiler :

Raja:
Spoiler :

This would be a really AWSOME unit. I hope someone will make it.

Thanks for the screenshots. It's interesting that the female is called Rani ("queen") and the male is Raja ("king", Maharaja = Great King) - so their names translated to English would be Demon Queen and Demon King. I saw a screenshot at one of the fan websites of a leopard-spotted one also:

I agree with you, any of these would make a great unit. It's a good thing no one has made a game like HOMM or Jade Empire set in India or I might disappear for a while.:lol:

Thanks for the screenshots. It's interesting that the female is called Rani ("queen") and the male is Raja ("king", Maharaja = Great King) - so their names translated to English would be Demon Queen and Demon King. I saw a screenshot at one of the fan websites of a leopard-spotted one also:
Ja, that's another picture of the Kshatri. My pic was prettier. :D
I can't get other pics of it since the addon "Tribes of the East" isn't out yet.
Blue Monkey said:
I agree with you, any of these would make a great unit. It's a good thing no one has made a game like HOMM or Jade Empire set in India or I might disappear for a while.:lol:
I'd love to play such a game too.

Sorry, i can't help you with the daevas - i only remember 1 game where several of them were in : Lionheart

Ogedei requested some images of the Durga Temple (also known as the "Monkey Temple" because they inhabit the shikhara).

Typical Structure of a Nagara (North Indian) Style Temple
This first gallery will be helpful in interpreting the photos of the Durga Temple:
thumbnail

Left to right the images are:
  • An overview of the sections of the temple
  • A simplified floor plan showing the entry hall (mandapa), circumambulatory platform, and inner sanctum (garbagriha)
  • A side elevation with parts labeled
  • An illustration of the progressive elaboration of the shikhara (tower)
  • A small temple, also in Varanasi, in which it easy to see the layout and stylistic features, which are more ornate in the Durga "Monkey" Temple

The Durga "Monkey" Temple in Varanasi:
thumbnail

• At the top left are two overviews of the temple, shot from the far side of the Durgakund (sacred tank)
  • Bottom left is a view of the torana (gateway), followed by a view through it to the mandapa (entry/assembly hall)
  • In the middle are two views of the mandapa, plus a detail of the tiled floor, and the entry into the garbagriha (note the guardian lions, the animal Durga rides into battle)
  • On the far right is a closer view of the decorative details on the shikhara

I am trying to think out a way to implemant the Vedic religions in my mod for Civ4. I plan on grouping the religions in categories. I would just like to ask you thoughts how you would group them. For example Hinduism, Vishnu, Shavi, and Shakti fall under Hinduism. I will very likely change some around, and I may add some ancient Vedic religion as well in some form. I will appreciate any info. Thanks ahead time

Here is the link.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=240440

Top Bottom