An Island Race

PFT

I sell monuments in London, York, Nottingham, Hastings, Coventry and Damascus.

Hastings, Cannon > Windmill
Canterbury, Wealth > Lib

IBT, Monty calls us up and mocks us. Git.
Spoiler :

Nottingham, Seaport > Workshop

A GM is born and I send him off on a trade mission towards Venice.

Whales to Oda ends so I reneg.
Spoiler :

I use the extra cash to buy a Colosseum in Newcastle.

I Call on Monty and ask him what he wants for peace with Brussels.
Spoiler :

He wants nothing but will do it anyway so I say ok!

IBT Venice recognises our GM and we gain influence.
Spoiler :

Our cotton to Monty ends and I notice he's gone Hostile.
Spoiler :

I guess he felt I made a demand of him even though I asked him what he wanted for the peace deal. Stupid diplo AI :mad: I choose not to reneg.

IBT, Oda asks for an OB. I say no and ment to sell our OB later but forgot.

IBT, Oda drops by again and asks us if we want to DoW Harun. I toy with the idea a bit but say a polite no in the end.

Pliny also drops by and tells us about how unhappy we are.
Spoiler :

Check out how happy the AIs are! I know they get a bonus but this seems stupid! Oda is on 64!

I burn our GM on a trade mission for 550 gold and buy another Colosseum in Oxford. We are now mearly unhappy.

Furs to Cathy ends so I reneg.
Spoiler :

Damascus, LH > Theatre

MilSci is in and I switch to Steam Power
Spoiler :

Coventry, Theatre > SotL

I sell some Horses to Cathy.
Spoiler :

Peace deal with Askia ends.

London, Bank > LH
Canterbury, Lib > Bank

Warwick, Bank > Theatre
Nottingham, Workshop > Bank

Hastings, Windmill > SotL
Oxford, LH > WB

I trade Whales to Rammy for Ivory and on the last act of my set we enter happieness again :)
Spoiler :

Demo
Spoiler :

Still top dogs but Oda is starting to pull ahead in techs.

I started building SotL again as there are loads of AI Caravels floating around and if we get a DoW I want to wipe them out ASAP to get to any invasion fleet. Also it will be cheaper to upgrade them to Destroyers than build them.

I was toying with the idea of paying off Oslo but I'm not sure what reprecusions that will have with Oda who is at war with Oslo. Oslo have a happy resourse we don't have and are friendly so would make a good member of the family.

We have a SP next set. I suggest we carry on down Rationalism or the one in Patronage that increases our min CS dipostion to 20.

The Roster
grandad1982
cripp7 - up now
McLMan - on deck
Bluebird - ?

The Save

Attachments

• An Island Race_0305 AD-1870.Civ5Save
    764.5 KB · Views: 245
Sorry I've been absent. New job and no time to check in on the thread. I'll be more active now that the dust has settled.

lurker's comment:
IBT, Monty calls us up and mocks us. Git.
Our cotton to Monty ends and I notice he's gone Hostile.

I guess he felt I made a demand of him even though I asked him what he wanted for the peace deal. Stupid diplo AI :mad: I choose not to reneg.
I'm pretty sure the trade had nothing to do with it and that the taunting on turn 1 was an indication that he had turned hostile then. In my experience, the taunting always indicates hostility.

@ MouseyPounds
I guess your right. Can't wait till the patch to get a better idea about this. Also our first lurker comment! Woot1

We should consider turning some cities to building wealth. It would be better than useless buildings we'd end up selling later.

Does building wealth get modified by buildings such as the windmill or is it just base production that counts?

So I did a simple experiment. I loaded up one of my old saves and looked at a city producing wealth. It looked like it was based on total production rather than just base production. To test this I purchased a windmill. This did indeed increase the cities gpt production, however empire wide gpt went down due to the increase in maitainence costs. This means that it would only be worth building a windmill for wealth creation if the 15% was equal to ar greater than its maintainence of 2. This is very unlikely to be the case in any of our cities. The single best increase to the production value from our point of view would be to tech Railroad as it would increase production by 50% without increaseing our costs as we already have harbours in our cities.

So I guess a detour to Railroad before we hit up the UN line along with selling things such as workshops and windmills in our non production centers is the thing to do. Maybe only sell workshops if all basic builds in a city our done, such as libs, gold mutipliers, happy buildings, harbours and seaports (if applicable).

That leaves us with deciding which are our production cities. I think London, Hastings and Coventry. Hastings as a naval production center the others more general.

Oh one other thing, even though the eng spec will contribute to wealth building it isn't worth it if there is a tile that produces even 1 gold as wealth production is only 25% of total production.

IHT-
Trade with Oda
Spoiler :

Micro a few cities to maximize :c5gold:
hit enter

Turn 306-
London lh > windmill
Warick switch to 2x wb for oil and fish

Turn 307-
Adopt a policy
Spoiler :

Turn 308-
Newcastle harbor > workshop

Askia DoW on al-Rashid

Buy Rio
Spoiler :

Turn 309-
Coventry SoL > SoL

Turn 310-
Warick wb > settler
Monty gets cautious
Spoiler :

Turn 311-
Hastings SoL > SoL
Oxford wb > harbor

IBT-
Spoiler :

Turn 311-
al-Rashid trade
Spoiler :

Also demanded marble and got it! missed screen

Turn 312-
Steam Power > RR

Turn 313-
zzz

Turn 314-
London windmill > factory
Nottingham bank > factory
Warick settler > workshop
Rammy gets cocky
Spoiler :

Settler is going to far NW oil/horse island

Factories add 50%:c5hammers:

Turn 315-
Coventry SoL > factory
Monty is HOSTILE towards us so I talked to Cathy
Spoiler :
PoS vs Monty

Turn 316-
Cathy deals ended, reneg

Now Ramasses is HOSTILE!
York bank > :c5gold:

We have enough gold to buy a factory or a CS. Also we maybe facing a war soon, so we need to beef up our borders.

Attachments

• AnIslandRace_0316 AD-1892.Civ5Save
    767.2 KB · Views: 215
Nice one cripp7. I'll take a peak.

Get the navy around the hostile nations to keep an eye out and nip any attack in the bud early.

I'm not liking the imerssion breaking "we think your trying to win the game the same as us!" tooltip. Also I don't recall us telling the AIs not to settle near us or making trade demands.

Seems we just want to keep buildingup cash ad keep our military uptodate and handy till we're ready to build the UN. Maybe upgrade our remaining troops pretty soon and send some more to the north of our empire.

The Roster

grandad1982
cripp7
McLMan - up now
Bluebird - on deck

Top Bottom