Hunter/Gathering Nomadic start at Game Open project

Last Spring we had a poll asking what feature people wanted for C2C and Multi-Maps not surprisingly won. But since its unclear if any progress will be made with it we should move on to what got second place. Which is Nomadic Start. (which is why I am posting in this topic)

Some of the Nomad mod is in C2C but deactivated. Also there have been mods what already have this such as RoH and The History of Three Kingdoms. I would like us to review this thread so we can re-boot this project now that it is 2013.

In addition the Nomad stuff can be applied to the multi-maps. Specifically on how we should make colonies on Lunar and Martian Maps.

In RoH your Nomad unit could walk around and then settle on a location. There it could produce units and if you stat there long enough it would give you a choice to turn into a city. However You could also choose to not settle and then move on. I would like to have a similar mecanic for the Space Colony stuff. Such as ...

1. Build Lunar Lander in City.
2. Build Lunar Rover
3. Build Lunar Worker
4. Put Lunar Rover an Lunar Worker in Lunar Lander
5. Launch Lunar Lander into Space
6. Choose Location for Lunar Lander to Land
7. Unload Lunar Rover and Lunar Worker
8. Explore Lunar Surface
9. Lunar Lander Can either be moved, go back to Earth or "Settle"
10. Send Supply Pods to Lunar Lander. These would work where they could give 1 free building and then are used up. Thus giving special buildings to the Lunar Lander.
11. Once enough Supply pods are made then the Lunar Lander can become a Lunar City. This would work just like a normal city and could build normal Earth buildings.

Note the same could be done for Mars if not more so. Also I am not sure if the Lunar Lander should be more like a Transport Ship in that it can land and take off bringing back and forth supplies and stuff. Or maybe the Lunar Workers should build the base. Or even have the Supply Pods instantly build an improvement.

There are a number of different ways we could do it. And since the Lunar and Martian maps are in there is not reason why we cannot test it out before the multi-maps are in.

Aren't there caves in the game now? We could wander around and try to find one, and let that become our "city."

I'd love to get working on this and have a lot of the structure worked out in my head but I've got so much minor debugging work on my immediate plate and I'd like to get back to some further progress on the combat mod after smoothing out the traits project but this is up on the list right after that (somewhere in there I've got more tags to do for Vokarya and some code merging projects for DH too.)

I'd love to get working on this and have a lot of the structure worked out in my head but I've got so much minor debugging work on my immediate plate and I'd like to get back to some further progress on the combat mod after smoothing out the traits project but this is up on the list right after that (somewhere in there I've got more tags to do for Vokarya and some code merging projects for DH too.)

I definitely agree with you going back, and ironing some of the Combat Mod out towards a better way of understanding.

Sometimes you "just" have to sit back and say to yourself, ok i know i want to "help" everyone, but that is just Braincrazy, no offense. Take it in stride, OK you at least got IN the Combat Mod, its been there for awhile now, had comments, lets get back to that then, then help another "friend" later, when your mind (again no offense) gets more clearer. JMO

I definitely agree with you going back, and ironing some of the Combat Mod out towards a better way of understanding.

Sometimes you "just" have to sit back and say to yourself, ok i know i want to "help" everyone, but that is just Braincrazy, no offense. Take it in stride, OK you at least got IN the Combat Mod, its been there for awhile now, had comments, lets get back to that then, then help another "friend" later, when your mind (again no offense) gets more clearer. JMO

No offense taken... that's exactly how I feel about it ;)

I just don't want this project to take off without my involvement because I've committed a lot of thought down this road and really want to see it come to manifest as well. But I think we need AIAndy in top working shape and between us we can knock this out. So at least for a while I'll be returning to Combat Mod development soon cuz there's so much there just waiting and brimming with as yet unrealized potential.

I don't think we should be looking at "new" concepts now, I feel we should be looking towards getting the next release out at the end of January. This means Thundrbrd's stuff and CivPlayer8's Labour Civic should be the last new thing while we finish ironing out all the new stuff we have. We would still be moving techs around, adding buildings, improvements and features; adding sme new prehistoric events; and fixing the pedia up until the freeze when all we do is test and fix bugs.

I don't think we should be looking at "new" concepts now, I feel we should be looking towards getting the next release out at the end of January. This means Thundrbrd's stuff and CivPlayer8's Labour Civic should be the last new thing while we finish ironing out all the new stuff we have. We would still be moving techs around, adding buildings, improvements and features; adding sme new prehistoric events; and fixing the pedia up until the freeze when all we do is test and fix bugs.

That's right. For me its about making sure the bugs are ironed out of the traits systems and that we've got the trait definitions finalized (at least the base traits - and possibly even up a level or two across the board.) That's going to take some further graphic development and a hell of a lot of xml work and discussion to make sure we're all on the same page and happy about it ;)

Will the combat mod be released in v28?

Will the combat mod be released in v28?

I'm going to shoot for v29 or 30 for an initial playable release. v28 should be coming up far too soon for the combat mod I think.

If I would fool with the graphics of the unit to make a spaceship, orbiting colony, or water vessel instead, would this be interesting to use for future eras as well?

There hasn't been any direct development on the project yet SO but it is something we all want to see done. AIAndy and I both have a pretty good consensus on how this should be done I think but we both just need the dedication to this project to open up in our workloads.

I know the AI needs a lot of work. So anyway that is why I am asking would there be a use for it outside of the just the Nomadic start? For example orbital colonies on gas giants if the multimaps gets working.

Well, I'm pretty sure that for this we'll be using something slightly different to the original unit you had that plants itself as a city then can be mobilized again. We'd prefer a unit that acts more like a city without having to be converted back and forth... just as it moves it accumulates its yields so to speak and those yields can be spent by the unit with missions to buy other units, techs, something like buildings, and planting improvements as it goes.

So we could still use your alternating unit for other concepts, yes, like gas mining colonies and underwater pod cities and such. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Well, I'm pretty sure that for this we'll be using something slightly different to the original unit you had that plants itself as a city then can be mobilized again. We'd prefer a unit that acts more like a city without having to be converted back and forth... just as it moves it accumulates its yields so to speak and those yields can be spent by the unit with missions to buy other units, techs, something like buildings, and planting improvements as it goes.

So we could still use your alternating unit for other concepts, yes, like gas mining colonies and underwater pod cities and such. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Has anyone even tried the "camp" yet for the Huns? Is that what you'll are talking about here, or am i off base again?? Cause i used to have the camp and it worked fine as far as i know, and some mods still use it?

If I would fool with the graphics of the unit to make a spaceship, orbiting colony, or water vessel instead, would this be interesting to use for future eras as well?

Getting a working nomad unit would be more useful in the short term. Any unit beyond that would be icing on the cake. We need the prehistoric type of nomads implemented first. Here was the proposed implementation ...

Ok I have an updated idea.

Nomad -> Settler -> And so on ...
Nomad -> Horse Nomad -> Nomad Biker
Nomad -> Camel Nomad -> Nomad Biker

Nomadic Lifestyle = Nomad
Horseback Riding = Horse Nomad
Camel Domestication = Camel Nomad
Motorized Transportation = Nomad Biker

Each level up on the Nomad upgrade chain gives better results when "camped" on a resource. Perhaps even have the "Nomadic Camp" give special units that can only be produced from them.

Having boat nomads, spaceship nomads, etc could be added after the others are put in.

I know the AI needs a lot of work. So anyway that is why I am asking would there be a use for it outside of the just the Nomadic start? For example orbital colonies on gas giants if the multimaps gets working.

Gas giants are low priority. On our list we have the following maps planned ...

- Lunar
- Martian
- Solar System
- Galactic

Anything beyond that will be dealt with once those 4 are done.

I know it's not priority, but there could also be Cart/Wagon Nomads to represent Gypsies. Would probably hit in Medieval or Renaissance (possibly later, my knowledge of the Gypsy culture is very limited) era, probably tied to a Culture, even if it's a 'Wonder Civ'.

@MagnusIlluminus

I do have plans (and graphics) for a Gypsy Cart culture unit when I add the "Gypsy" culture.

Glad to hear that, my Grandson is part Gypsy, and i like that wagon, any way we can use any of the attached?:p:eek:

Top Bottom