Map Labels

v4 works however i can only place the red flag icon. if i click the red flag icon in the options nothing happens (no error this time) the other icons don't appear to choose a different one and the other icon types don't place on the map either. also the ctrl+A shortcut doesn't seem to work when i click the tile again nothing happens.

Thanks for your lua log. It looks like (another) problem with the icons. I added in a check (will be included in next version) to bypass this particular error, but I still can't figure out why you keep having problems with icons. You're also getting a "ControlBase::SetColor" error but I can't tell which mod it's coming from. (I don't think it's Map Labels because at that point in the execution it isn't trying to recolor anything)

From your lua log it looked like Whoward's Start Positions, Expanded City and DLL mods were loaded -- I tried running it with these but couldn't duplicate the bug. Are you using any other mods? Would you be able to try running a game with just Map Labels activated--no other mods--and see if you still get problems?

i use other mods mainly ones that just add resources though like more luxuries. when i get more time i'll test each one with the mod more thoroughly. no time right now.

Hazel, thanks so much for the work you've put into the mod. My build is pretty mod-heavy, with a lot of custom civs that seemed to choke earlier versions of Map Labels, but v4 is so far working like a champ.

The only issue I have at the moment is that, for some reason, every time I exit the city view screen, the Map Level popup comes back up and covers a good chunk of the notification area. I have to manually close it out each time, and each time it comes back when I leave a city view.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Assuming it's not a mod conflict on my end, is there a simple way to fix it?

Hazel, thanks so much for the work you've put into the mod. My build is pretty mod-heavy, with a lot of custom civs that seemed to choke earlier versions of Map Labels, but v4 is so far working like a champ.

Awesome! Glad to hear it's working.

The only issue I have at the moment is that, for some reason, every time I exit the city view screen, the Map Level popup comes back up and covers a good chunk of the notification area. I have to manually close it out each time, and each time it comes back when I leave a city view.

Thanks for pointing this out. Nothing to do with the other mods you're using, it's an error in Map Labels, but an easy fix. I'll fix it for v5.

Hey, I've been looking for a mod like this for ages! Ever since I started using mods tbh... but the download link doesn't work for me. Do you have an alternate link? Or any suggestions?

Not sure what's going on with the download site ,but I attached the latest version to this post.

Attachments

• Map Labels (v 4).zip
    200.4 KB · Views: 192
Have Scandinavian cultural names been added? I'd like my Norse maps to feel Norse when I play as Denmark -- not just European. :viking:

Hey Hazel - if I researched more place names for various civs and supplied enough forest, etc. names that you didn't have to use fictional ones, would you be interested?

Have Scandinavian cultural names been added? I'd like my Norse maps to feel Norse when I play as Denmark -- not just European. :viking:

The Germanic names are a mix of Germanic and Scandinavian names. If you'd like to provide lists of scandinavian-only names (Region/Ocean/Island/Mountain/River/Lake/Forest/Desert) I'd happily include them in a future version.

Hey Hazel - if I researched more place names for various civs and supplied enough forest, etc. names that you didn't have to use fictional ones, would you be interested?

Sure! It's mostly forests and deserts that I'm missing names for.

Do you want/need them for specific civs, or just a general list of forests and deserts?

Do you want/need them for specific civs, or just a general list of forests and deserts?

Sorry for the late reply, just saw this.

So here are my cultures:
African
Arabian
British
E Asian
First Americans
French
Germanic
Indian
Mediterranean
Pacific
Portuguese
Slavic
Spanish

Some are inherently difficult (finding desert names for British culture, forest names for Arabian culture). First American culture is tough because many of the modern-day names for native places are now English/Spanish/French. I think the forest names for all cultures are made up since I couldn't find any easy Wikipedia "list of forests in India"-type pages, so if you want to put together lists of forest names for any culture, I can add them to the mod ( should have at least 10-15 names per culture).

Note: I avoid anything with directions (North/South) as they could appear anywhere on a Civ V map, and anything that obviously goes with a city (bad example, having Forest of London on the opposite side of a map from the city of London). Special characters are OK.

Thanks for your offer.

This is a great mod, but I have one minor complaint - Slavic group shouldn't be listed under "Asian" but rather a European group, and Poland is not a Germanic civ, but a Slavic one. It would be great if you could move those around :)

I'll see what I can dig up!

This is a great mod, but I have one minor complaint - Slavic group shouldn't be listed under "Asian" but rather a European group, and Poland is not a Germanic civ, but a Slavic one. It would be great if you could move those around :)

Made the changes -- they'll be in v5. Thanks for your feedback!

Made the changes -- they'll be in v5. Thanks for your feedback!

Excellent, thank you! :) If I could throw in another two cents:

1) I'm using the Enhanced User Interface mod, and whenever I enter and then exit the city screen, the settings panel of Map Labels keeps reappearing above the minimap. Perhaps there is a way of preventing it from appearing that way?

2) Is there a way to make the mod remember the last settings used? I wanted to remove the rectangle from beneath the labels in one game, but they reappeared in the next one I played.

Anyway, don't mean to be a nuisance. Keep up the good work. Your mod is yet another step in making Civ 5 a truly immersive and interactive experience. :)

I'll start with forests of India since you mentioned that specifically. It would probably be helpful for my productivity if you gave me one thing at a time so I don't go off all willy-nilly on research.

So yeah, Indian forests:
Spoiler :
  • Abujmarh
  • Baikunthapur Forest
  • Molai Forest
  • Mulai Kathoni
  • Pichavaram
  • Punit Van
  • Arabari
  • Bankura Forest
  • Chilapata Forest
  • Saranda Forest
  • Dandaka Forest
  • Dvaita Forest
  • Kamyaka Forest
  • Khandava Forest
  • Madhu Forest
  • Naimisha Forest

The Germanic names are a mix of Germanic and Scandinavian names. If you'd like to provide lists of scandinavian-only names (Region/Ocean/Island/Mountain/River/Lake/Forest/Desert) I'd happily include them in a future version.

Desert names would be nonexistent for Scandinavia, unless you count glacier-covered areas and non-forested tundra as fhe closest thing; Sweden and Norway have a few region-names that could do in a pinch.

Mountains don't exist in Denmark proper (the highest point there is less than 600 feet!); but the rest of Scandinavia can supply those names easily.

Forests are so common that only a few get big enough for their own name on a multinational map, although I'm sure I can find more forest names on a regional-scaled one. :)

Otherwise, if you're willing to separate Scandinavian names from other Germanic ones in a future version of the mod, I can provide lists for most of the categories you cover. Give me a few more days and I can send the information by PM, so it won't take over this thread. Thanks!

I've read through the Slavic names and I think I could help you out a bit - there are lots of a bit clumsy names (like all the ones with "Oblast" - oblasts are administrative regions, and not really common names for lands), and most come from Asiatic Russia, so they are barely Slavic and don't fit with most mods adding Slavic civs.

If it was ok by you, I could revamp those names and include some more Central European names for greater diversity (Polish, Czech, Slovak, Ukrainian etc.). :)

Also, are there plans for a generic Ancient Egyptian or Mesopotamian list? Would be great for all the Sumerians and Hittites that are around. :)

1) I'm using the Enhanced User Interface mod, and whenever I enter and then exit the city screen, the settings panel of Map Labels keeps reappearing above the minimap. Perhaps there is a way of preventing it from appearing that way?

See post above -- this will be fixed in v5.

2) Is there a way to make the mod remember the last settings used? I wanted to remove the rectangle from beneath the labels in one game, but they reappeared in the next one I played.

You read my mind -- I've actually already written the code for this, it will be in v5.

I've read through the Slavic names and I think I could help you out a bit - there are lots of a bit clumsy names (like all the ones with "Oblast" - oblasts are administrative regions, and not really common names for lands), and most come from Asiatic Russia, so they are barely Slavic and don't fit with most mods adding Slavic civs.

If it was ok by you, I could revamp those names and include some more Central European names for greater diversity (Polish, Czech, Slovak, Ukrainian etc.). :)

If you want to redo the Slavic names list that would be great. I'm trying to stick to base game civs for these names and since Russia and Poland are the only Slavic civs in the base game, I would stick to names from there (a modder who makes a Ukrainian civ, for example, could make their own list of names and include it in their mod). You can either edit the XML in the mod and send it to me, create new XML files (see Post 3) or send me a list of names.

Also, are there plans for a generic Ancient Egyptian or Mesopotamian list? Would be great for all the Sumerians and Hittites that are around. :)

I agree this would be great. I don't have any plans personally to do it, but if you or anyone else wants to, I'd be more than happy to include it. (Note, I did initially plan to do this, actually, but found it was quite difficult to find enough appropriate names for features, since modern-day names are not reflective of their ancient names. So it might take a little digging to find real-life historical names for mountains, deserts etc)

Thanks for your feedback!

Top Bottom