Acken's Minimalistic Balance for singleplayer (and AI improvements)

I'd need those that are necessary to open the save. I can't remember if it is necessary to have the civ installed if it is not in the game.

Quick question Acken, how do you open/use the program debug database? I am able to directly open the crash dump file in VS (with what appears to be the source code & a brief trace of what crashed), but I get a "symbols are not loaded" error when debugging.

Edit: Nevermind, found it (I'm an idiot).

I'm just following these instructions:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=506328

Is this supposed to work on linux as well?

I'm having difficulty installing on linux. I've tried both via steam and by unraring. I've followed the instructions on http://steamcommunity.com/app/8930/discussions/0/540744299996631016/, e.g. mounted a ciopfs (case insensitive) folder in ~/.local/share/Aspyr/Sid Meier's\ Civilization\ 5/MODS, and unrared the folder there, and commented the "no modding" line in the ini.

I can see the mod in the MODS menu within civ, but when I enable it and press forward the game crashes. I've started steam from a terminal but I don't see any error messages, is there a log somewhere? If I start civ again, the mod says enabled, but pressing forward again in the MODS menu crashes, and pressing backwards starts the unmodded game.

I am able to use other mods, I just tested the fall of Rome mod (DLC) and "drozzy's earth", but I haven't really used mods before, so maybe I'm doing something fundamental wrong?

Hmmm afaik Linux has the same problem than macs. You won't be able to use a mod with a DLL. Not this one, not CBP etc.

And since both Mac and Linux version are developped by Aspyr who has never released the source code for these version you cannot make core modifications.

I will probably release a no DLL version with v2 but it may be a bit disapointing with only half the changes. It should work since the rest of my mod are only XML/SQL changes. With time I may simply develop it in parallel with some quick fixes. For example the policy in Piety that gives happiness per city won't work without the DLL but I may, given time, simply transform it to work like the Meritocracy to get a similar effect.

That's a shame, because it sounds like your mod would really add some needed interesting gameplay choices back. I guess I could try installing under wine --- that worked perfectly for civ4, but I haven't tried with civ5 at all...

I couldn't find it in the changes section - GGs and GAdm need 200 to start? I am trying Exploration for the first time on a large islands map.

Hmm ? Shouldn't have been changed. Especially in v1 where I did not change GPP stuff yet.

Are you sure you did not already get a GG or GAdm through a policy ?

Edit: You're right it starts at 200 but that is also the case in the base game:
<Row Name="GREAT_GENERALS_THRESHOLD">
<Value>200</Value>
</Row>

Edit: You're right it starts at 200 but that is also the case in the base game:
<Row Name="GREAT_GENERALS_THRESHOLD">
<Value>200</Value>
</Row>
Weird! I always seemed to get them earlier - a recent game I had a lot of barb fighting all game and never spawned one... I swear it was 100 at some point.

I may have missed it, but v1 Aesthetics Finisher tooltip does not say you can faith buy GWAM - but you can. I was ready to Reform with Glory To God just to faith buy GMs.

T199 on a Polynesia Large Islands game - 6 self-founded cities, one peace prize city, and just took Warsaw in 2 turns with Frigates. I built a ton of Moais early and the culture is off the charts (I have Kiliminjaro and I had a lot of sheep, so great production too). Full Tradition, 2 in Piety, Full Exploration and Full Aesthetics, and now 2 more in Piety and I haven't quite hit Radio (beeline). I will have almost 4 full trees before Ideology - combination of tech nerf and the v1 GW value increasing after winning gold in WF.

Thanks it was just missing from the tooltip.

4 trees sound a bit much. But if you made a ton of Moai I don't think it's really problematic since it's a power of a cultural civ and it would make it closer to something like Poland.

v2 GW bulbs are somewhat nerfed as well as cultural city states (well CS will be as announced). The WF strength has been a worry of mine combined with the boosts in raw +cpt, WF gold may end up getting reduced if it appears to give too many policies. Gold prize currently basically gives you 20 turns worth of cpt + a free policy from silver + 8 turns of cpt per writers.

Is it Friday yet, Acken?

I don't want to play Civ5 again, I wanna play the game you're making.

Good news. I have found the problem with the casus belli system, it was a problem with the serialization (save/load) and me making the read at the wrong place (and as a result it was loading the values of another array). Should work in v2 although it will still be very crude.

It wasn't crashing when loading games because both arrays were compatible.

I guess I will hold on with corrections then until the new patch. I still haven't had time to play a single game for more than 100 turns -- really busy now.

- Ranged horse units not upgrading to melee units.
Then what are they going to upgrade into, artillery? :confused:

Then what are they going to upgrade into, artillery? :confused:

Enough options since a lot of different types of cavalry used firearms.

out of the top of my head:
- Reiters
- Uhlans
- Cuirassier
- Dragoon
- Hussars

or if it's not desirable to make new units, make cavalary ranged/melee units.

Anyway, looking forward to v2 Acken.

From my experience,
1. 2 gold < 2 science/production (but you already buff a little bit)
2. I have to move so many turn to CS to use Trade Mision:crazyeye:
a) even worse if there is hill, river, jungle .......:cry:
b) need troop to def when moving to cs:mad:
c) he is riding a camel but still same move with 2 other G.Person:p

Just add Paradrop to his ability:lol:

So still stuck on Great Merchants I see

The problem with the Customs House is that gold is noway near as useful as hammers. Indeed the conversion rates for gold into hammers is usually 3-4 gold to 1 hammer. For a Customs House to be as powerful as a Manufactory you'd have to have a yield of about 16gpt.

I think the best solution is to make the Customs House do other things that can help your civ besides just gold.

One thing I remember in an older mod was that Customs House was changed to a Manor (sorta like a big plantation).
It could essentially add +2 food to a tile and also the extra gold. Essentially making the great merchant build a mega plantation.

Alternatively it could be planted to produce permanent extra happiness. So planting a customs house/manor could give you a 4 food, 10 gold, 4 happiness tile as a general economy booster.

For CS trade missions. The best thing I think is to increase the influence point gained. The lump gold is not bad. Essentially it can be comparable to the Great Engineer rush but I think the amount of gold earned needs to increase more each era.

One thing I remember in an older mod was that Customs House was changed to a Manor (sorta like a big plantation).
It could essentially add +2 food to a tile and also the extra gold. Essentially making the great merchant build a mega plantation.

Alternatively it could be planted to produce permanent extra happiness. So planting a customs house/manor could give you a 4 food, 10 gold, 4 happiness tile as a general economy booster.

Those manors would thematically be interesting for 'colonies' (cities settled during or after the renaissance) to offset the disadvantages of settling so late.

Acken: are u planning to change the UA's of civs aswell in later versions? Also does Montezuma's UA stack with honor? Definitely going for a second dom game in v2.

NEW VERSION 2

V2 Main improvements:
-A new difficulty level between Immortal and Deity (new level 7) called DemiGod !
-A rebalance of the beliefs and some new ones !

THIS VERSION IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH SAVES FROM V1.
Trying to load a v1 game with the mod in v2 will result in a crash but the game should simply refuse to load the save with the wrong version (and switch if you have both versions installed).

If you use the dropbox file to manually update the mod, you can keep version 1 in your directory to continue playing with version 1. Otherwise it is safe to simply remove version 1 before installing version 2.

If you use the workshop version, steam should automatically install version 2 for you. I am unsure if steam will remove version 1 or not. If it is not removed simply remove it manually in your mods directory.

(please reffer to the installation section if you need exact instructions)
Dropbox link:
Click
Workshop link:
Click

Changes in version 2 (no particular order):
Spoiler :
-Fixed some bugs discovered in v1
-Removed the (unwanted) additional gold for some already strong luxuries (cocoa and citrus were getting 3 gold 1 food total).
-The AI will get a small additive modifier for tourism above Prince.
-Piety's Mandate of Heaven is now a Prerequisite of Reformation
-Theocracy no longer give a gold bonus for the grand temple. The temple bonus has been reduced to 20% but shrines now provide +1 gold.
-Sovereignty now gives +1 hammer to science buildings instead of +20% toward their construction
-Engineer, Scientist and Merchants increase their cost by 100 and the others cost by 50 (if 3GS, 1GE and 3GM have been born the cost of the next GE is = 100 + 3*50 + 100 + 3*50 = 500 instead of 800)
-Changed the deal mechanic surrounding gold. The AI now apply an interest rate to humans of 15% while the Humans apply a rate of 0%.
This mean that you can now give 30G for 1GPT but you will only get 26G if you give 1GPT.
This has repercursions on the deal values and with additional tweak we get: Luxuries are now worth 8gpt while Strategics are worth 1gpt.
-Settler difficulty has been removed, a new difficulty has been introduced between Immortal and Deity called DemiGod, level 7. All difficulties but Deity have been moved by 1. So Immortal is now level 6 etc.
Note that the scroll list in the main menu currently doesn't show this change, only when selecting a difficulty or in the Advanced Setup !
-Great Writers value is now also fixed
-Updated pantheons:
God of Craftmen no longer need 3 population
God of War now gives more faith (100% victim strength) and at 6 tiles away
Ancestor Worship now gives 2 culture
God King now also gives +1 food and +1 happiness
Religious Settlement now reduce border culture cost by 25% and boosts settler production by 20%
Dance of Aurora is no longer restricted to non-forest tundra
Goddess of Protection now gives +5 strength to all cities
Monuments of the gods now gives 20% production and up to Medieval wonders
Goddess of Love now needs only 4 population
Oral Tradition gives faith rather than culture
Earth Mother no longer gives faith for Copper
Religious Idol now give gold instead of culture and includes Copper
-NewPantheons:
Ceremonial robes gives 2 culture for dyes, cotton and silk
Offerings to the Gods gives 1 food and 1 faith for Truffles, Sugar and Spices
Nature's Blessing gives 1 faith to forests
Gift of wisdom gives 1 faith and 1 science to Cocoas
-Updated Follower beliefs:
Feed the world now give 2 food to temple instead of 1
Liturgical drama now gives 2 faith for amphitheaters and opera houses
Pagoda culture has been reduced to 1
Cathedral culture has been increased to 3
Ascetism no longer has a population requirement
Choral music no longer has a population requirement and boosts both temples and opera houses with +2 culture
Religious art gives +8 culture and +8 tourism to the hermitage (instead of +5)
-Updated Founder beliefs:
Tithe is now 1 gold per 5 population
Peace loving is now 1 happiness per 6 foreign population
-Updated Enhancer beliefs
Reliquary is now 75 faith per great people expended
Missionary zeal increases missionary strength by 40% instead of 25%
-NewReformation:
Religious Influence allows the purchase of Operas, Museums and Broadcast towers with faith
-Granary now also gives +1 food to bisons
-Ranged units have now a reduced cost of approximately 12% (-5 for archer up to -45 for bazooka)
-Full integration of AuI v9 (although not everything is activated)
-Other AI adjustments
-CityStates should make less units long term and take less space to diminish clogging.
-Siege unit city damage promotion has been reduced to 150% (from 200%)

The promised, lite, mac/linux version will be released during the following week.

There is now a let's play begun with version 2:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13933357&postcount=91

Top Bottom