First Immortal win incoming!

lindsay40k

Emperor
Not been taking screenshots - I've tried so many time on high difficulty and gotten nowhere and didn't expect much - but I think I've finally got an immy in the bag.

Never really played as the Dutch, but knew they were powerful. My start had fish, clam, and plains hill marble. Lots of forest which I chopped to grab a gold site and three other settlements before Victoria next door grabbed everything. Whilst producing a dozen units and putting a barracks and wall in every city for deterrence sans upkeep, I teched Aesthetics and traded it for most Ancient techs. Ran two scientists in two satellite cities and chopped Parthenon in a hammer city. Chopped GLib in Amsterdam, and ran two scientists after the second satellite city popped me Philosophy. Bulbed Paper, Edu and Lib, and ran two GAs from a GP and from TM. Sent THREE GMs to Carthage to raise myself funds for upgrading CRII Maces, and conquered England.

Had to bribe De Gaulle to stop attacking Victoria, twice. He'd got Alexander, who's got SLib, vassaled already. Once Vicky was beaten - land war was a pushover but naval battles were really tricky to maintain the upper hand - swapped her for Constitution and teched AL. Parked a dozen Infantry and six cannon outside De Gaulle's city containing his SOD. CRII got 99% against hilltop Grenadiers across a river; only killed a third of his army, but the rest kamikazed and I only lost one CR.

When I took London, I'd generated two GGs. The first went on a Maceman to be a super medic. The second waited around; four decent cities, with Theocracy, and a tech lead, meant I could conquer and use her settled GGs. She didn't disappoint; London had two settled. Sent a GA to culture bomb it into loyalty and settled a third. Whipped a Dyke, Forge and built HE. There's now five settled GGs, thanks to Fascism and my Stalingrad approach, and Pentagon looks assured.

I've got a GE and GS standing around. I could do a GA, and it's tempting to switch to more modern civics without anarchy, but I'm waiting to see if I pop a GM for a Corporations game.

I'll probably have traded for Military Science when the next GG drops. Should I go for an Academy or settle? I think that 5 GGs + Barracks + Pentagon = 4 promos without having to stay in Theocracy? Having Stone and a GE makes me consider adding West Point, settling a sixth and staying in Theo for five promos... I quite like the idea of instant access to Combat V and Commando, especially when Tanks become available.

I'll see about getting some screenshots later :)

Whipped a Dyke
:mischief:

Anyway... I'd say build military academy in any city where you construct dikes - having 2 tanks per 3 rounds is pretty fierce if you can reach Industralism first. You can basically just overrun your enemy with them.

What's the settings and map type? And using K-mod?

Erm... large Pangaea, epic, no mods. (I'm on a Mac and it's too much hassle - I'm waiting for a Windows partition to really get into mods.)

Got a UN win in the late 1800s. Artillery did most of the heavy lifting tbh. And after another war, I ended up with MA and enough GGs for five promos anyway :)

I'm now wanting to have a crack at deity. Pangaea standard epic… I've tried some good starts, but not won yet. I'm not sure if Inca or Holland is the better bet; the Dutch start expanding culture from the moment the city is settled and get cheap libraries, whilst IND is of limited use when the only wonders I'm shooting for are NE, HE, GLib and TM. They're all accelerated by cooking a Marble start, and a longer game wanting OU and WP can always conquer Stone.

My approach is to get food, archery, BW, other worker techs, writing, aesthetics, trade alphabet, beeline GLib. timing things so two satellite cities each spawn a GS before GLib is built. GS make Academy, Phil, Paper, Edu, Lib. Four or five cities seems plenty, though an arctic outpost snagging furs and silver is good.

I've yet to have a situation where a Music GA is a viable springboard, but I'm not ruling it out.

Top Bottom