Easiest and Hardest Civs to play on Earth, 18 Civs?

rome is definatly easy on noble and prince, but on monarch and above it quikly gets more annoying to whipe europe clean as Ai starts with archery and a free archer
It's Earth 18, AI never starts with archers here, does it.

It's Earth 18, AI never starts with archers here, does it.

No, although I'd imagine you'd have to be careful vs hax AI warrior spam on the highest levels, especially if not on marathon. Deity freddy for example might screw you if he goes for archery or bronze working right away. Even warriors can hose you however. While 5 warriors will beat 2 pretty consistently on flatland (it is NO gimme on hills), 5 warriors beating 3 defending is dicey enough to make it a questionable risk to take...if even 1 of the initial fights deals no/minimal damage you can easily fail to take the city on that turn, which is usually "rush over".

On the bright side, pretty much only freddy has copper, so a hard push straight at IW can potentially work for anyone. Swords are very very good vs archers.

I really like the huge Earth map and I have been playing a lot of it the last couple of months.

I've played several civs with varying success, here is my take. I play Monarch at marathon.

The strongest AIs are generally China, Persia and Russia. Later on Monty comes into play, usually after he takes out America and vassalizes the Incas. I am very wary of China because it usually gathers up plenty of vassals.

The easiest civs to play are indeed China and the European civs. China is just a resource and production monster. I played Greece and with a brief flurry took out Rome and Berlin and from there I was set. I think the other European civs would also be very promising.

Egypt: My very first two games were both with Egypt. I figured it would suit my style of play, which is to settle as much land as possible and build up before powering over the other civs. I planned to settle Africa and then explode out of the continent.
Doesn't go as planned. Thebes is a good commerce city but production poor. It will also have health issues for your entire game. And outside the Nile there seems to be little decent land. Sure, down in Southern Africa there are good spots but that is just too far a stretch for the BCs. What you have got is some scrappy hills, jungle you'll spend the next 4000 years chopping, and the fricken Sahara desert. And in the jungle there is not a single dye or food resource. Mali is too far away for a quick war and hardly worth it when you get there.
So in my first game I was wiped out by Catherine early on. My second game I was doing better but neglected to fortify the Suez canal at the African exit (a genuinely useful spot for a fort), and got rolled by the Persians. When you lose Thebes that is it.

I will try the Egyptians again and I think I can win it next time.

Japan: settled aggessively against China in Korea and Manchuria. Spread through all the Asian islands. Once you tame the Chinese all is well.

India: get used to chopping jungle. Thought I would lose this one but held out for a tech break over China and wiped out his army in the 1500s and then I was okay. You will also have problems from the Persians.

Persia: Again China and Russia were the big threats. I spent most of the game pining for Saladin's Hindu capital (Mecca!) and scheming to get it. When I finally broke them It was like I had gone to Heaven.

Mali: my last two games. It is indeed a very poor starting position. My first showing was pretty ordinary (again taken out by Catherine) so I played again right away, my current game. Mali starts with financial and spiritual, both useful traits, but they don't seem to have much synergy.
I think Mali is the only civ so far where you shouldn't settle in spot. If you move one south there is a spot where you can grab an elephant and a jungle-covered hill, as well as all the flood plains which should be cottaged asap. Not too bad.
I think aggressive settling is what is needed. I settled two cities up North, one to grab the sheep and marble and the other opposite Gibraltar so it can grab the seafood resource (crab?). But my second settle, the Gibraltar one, took Spanish cultural pressure and went over. I warred to get it back but it was never comfortable until the Greeks took out Madrid later on. If I play again I will settle that spot first. You will be whipping Timbuktu to push out settlers (maybe a more efficient whipper would be better at this than me) and pushing happiness and health limits constantly. Eventually I settled a production city way down south where you can get a seafood and five hills. Quite far away but had to be done. My first settle spot up North had 3 food resources (if you borrow wheat from the city that is opposite Gibraltar) so that is the GP farm.

But you are fighting all the way with poor land, looking over enviously at Europe.

Eventually I could put together an army to take out Egypt and then I thought I was set. Finally I had control over the whole of Africa. Catherine had settled a couple of cities but with a difficult war I pushed her out. I was confident. But my push towards Mecca was held to a draw and when peace came my army and GG was trapped in a crappy city behind enemy lines and I couldn't get open borders. I didn't think that one out. Saladin is protective and very tough; his Hindu shrine is powering his economy and we are tech equals.

But now everything has fallen apart. China rapidly vassalized every civ in the old world except England and Saladin, then DOWed on me. We both have infantry. The first thing he did was take out my isolated gg city filled with experienced troops. To follow it up Monty has also declared. Now I am Africa fighting the entire world and wondering whether to go on or not with the game. I have a large army guarding the Suez but am very vulnerable to Monty's galleons if he comes up with them. Now I am thinking if I survive this war I may go for cultural victory (something I rarely do). Military seems a stretch at this stage and a spaceship race would likely be won by China.

Mali really is a challenge.

Arguably the best way of dealing with mali is to make a great march to east, settle on Sudan, and kill hatty with skirmishers. This works well in marathon ;)

I've seen people recommending to settle on spot ( or somewhere in the area ), settling the 2nd city near the iron in Morrocco, and then work your way to Europe starting by Spain. It also works , but it is IMHO harder.

IMHO the worst start by it self is the Inca one. You can't even work half of the BFC ;) Besides that, the map maker was evil enough to put all that grassland only reachable after some serious galley work, and besides that, except the Rio de la Plata area, all in need of a a serious lumberjacking... In the end, it surpasses the Mali one because you have a contient for yourself if you play it right, but it has far less options than the mali start ( ok, you can do the "quechua on galley trick , take monty out , and then work from there, but pulling that out is hard )

They are all particularly easy because of the chop rushing mechanic (even in deity). I normally take out 15 of the 18 civs, if I play the old world civs, before the 500 ADs by running around with axes/chariots/swords with city raider and the occasional spearman with medic 1 promotion. Of course I rarely keep cities while doing so as having too many cities at such an early period tends to slow my warmongering down.

Mansa is a little tricky though as he tends to develop slow because of his location. I normally try to settle close to hatshepsut. Take out greece or rome next and the rest is a matter of staying a pagan as to not incite a dogpile on my heathen civ :)

When I play Hatty I chariot rush Persia and Arabia and settle in Asia Minor with my second city so I have all the middle east.

When I play Hatty I chariot rush Persia and Arabia and settle in Asia Minor with my second city so I have all the middle east.

I agree^^^. Asia Minor and Persia both have great land. Arabia gets you a (one) good city. War Chariots are one of the best UU's in the game and should be used if possible. You can settle Africa later. Later on Asoka can usually be taken because he has to clear so much of his land and isn't much of a fighter.

I've done Egypt the other (peaceful) way on lower levels but early warmongering is the way to go.

It obviously gets much more difficult at Immortal but on Earth 18,

I seem to get fast and reliable results with;
Persia, Egypt, China, Mongolia, Rome, Spain, France

Slower but also good reliable results from;
Russia, Japan, Greece, Aztec, Arabia

Good results with very careful play from;
Inca, Mali, Germany, USA

I find the following to be very challenging;
India, England (as they have a tougher time making fast viable conquests of other civs.)

I wish the game was not slanted so much to early aggression but clearly that is the fastest and most efficient way to power, security and a good range of resources. With some Civs, it seems to be the only viable option. For example Greece, I can see no other strategy for success than a focused build-up and attack on Persia, followed by Egypt. Fortunately, it seems to work. Likewise, the only consistent route I can find to win with Mali is to focus on attacking Spain ASAP.

A lot of the most effective (not necessarily the most interesting or challenging) strategies are region based but similar in concept.
The Far East has 3 civs: Jpn, Chn, Mong. Take out the other two ASAP, consolidate, then you are set to go. Not too difficult.
The Mid East has Egy, Ara, Pers. Again, take out the other two, block out other settement incursions in the area, consolidate, etc. Greece can adopt a similar strategy. Again, not too difficult.
In Europe, take down two, if not 3 of the others quickly, consolidate, etc.
North America requires limiting your rival or eliminating him then building a large number of strong cities to deal with the Old World who will likely have a tech lead.
If you are the Incas, you can gamble on taking out the Aztecs fast or carefully grab all of SAmer while emphasizing technology.

Since when is Aztec hard? I find them one of the easiest non-Euro civs, along with China and Egypt. The starting location is magnificent (anyone else settle 2N?), and Roose is an easy take-out so long as he doesn't get IW. SAs are a bit less useful now that you've got no immediate enemies, but they're a reduced-hammer courthouse, so I'll take it.

Since when is Aztec hard? I find them one of the easiest non-Euro civs, along with China and Egypt. The starting location is magnificent (anyone else settle 2N?), and Roose is an easy take-out so long as he doesn't get IW. SAs are a bit less useful now that you've got no immediate enemies, but they're a reduced-hammer courthouse, so I'll take it.

My most recent time as Aztec on Earth18 I settled 1E (coastal, good production off 2 corn) and went pop-2 settler for louisiana. No reason to take roosevelt out early - he helps vs barbarians and is a worthy trade partner (also easy-ish to get to pleased where he won't wtfattack you like monty would have done). There is a LOT of land if you wall off the midwest and take the side of south america opposite Capac. I wound up just using draft rifles to kill off my allies later in the game for complete continent control (eventually PA the human playing with me for easy space in a blowout game since she was using Rome - I actually finished with more land!).

Mali should probably move, because a bunch of flood plains and desert with no other food/health resources isn't super appealing. The surrounding land is pretty bad as well however.

Most starts on earth18 are very easy.

what about anyone playing with egypt?any good strategys?

See post #26. Most starts on Earth18 are geared toward an early rush - lots of close neighbors and the AI doesn't start with Archery. Egypt is very good for an early rush - War Chariot is a great UU. Blocking off Asia Minor is needed and you can expand into Africa later. Don't bother attacking Mali - They'll offer to vassalize to you later and your interests are east, not west. Mali never seems to do much - not surprising, given their start.

I find good results militarily with Romans and Germans and the French and English can build up on tech/wonders before crushing Europe with superior cities(or you can just blitz). Hatshepsut, Russia, and China all have a good expand, then destroy type of game. As for the old world, Monty can kill roosevelt, then take all of North America for themselves and easily win from the huge amount of land. Huayna Capac can pull that off too with a difficult colonization of south america, but without the jungle the grasslands can be quite good when cottaged over. Almost all the civs are playable though, except for the possible exception of the Malinese

In terms of ease, I'd say...

God Tier (You won the game by picking them)
Mainland Europe

Rome is a no-brainer, but close and easy conquest means you don't have to do much but spam units.

Top Tier (Not as easy mode but almost)
Egypt, China, England, Aztec

Egypt can plow with war chariots, China has a lot of good land to take as long as you deal with Mongolia and outrace Japan, and England can either sneak attack the mainland or tech like mad on their little island, Aztec has a bunch of good land and weak neighbors to contend with. They just need to find a way to catch up to the old world in tech.

Mid Tier (Not bad but takes some work and planning)
Russia, Persia, Japan, India, Mongolia

Low-Tier (Major obstacles to overcome)
Arabia, US, Inca

Arabia and Inca have terrible starts, but at least Inca can slowly settle South America. US has nice land but Monty is a pain to deal with and you'll have crappy tech trading opportunities if you kill him.

FML Tier
Mali

Most starts are easier if you kill your neighbors.

I hope this doesn't sound "noob-ish", since I just started playing Monarch, but I haven't actually played an Earth18 map. If you select it, does it automatically place your chosen civ in the geographically accurate area of the world? Or is it still random placement?

If moving the capital from where the game puts the settler is allowed (e.g. inca), it's a whole different ball game.

Hatty and mansa can both significantly improve on their sickly starts by taking a few turns to relocate themselves and their nifty early UUs nearer to rich herds of soft european prey.

Where would you move for Egypt?

Istanbul. Eat up a main course in mainland Europe and the Nile should still be there for dessert in the desert.

Not saying Egypt has a bad start by any means but for efficiency you can't beat taking out a few civs early on.

Japan has great start place actually for rexing :) Just settle on incense west side of starting island... and 2nd city across the water next to Chinese 2nd city and found Judaism there (culture will do job to raze that small city soon), than 3 more cities on mainland.. and only than settle 2nd city on Japan island... Nice empire without taking any city through war :D

Top Bottom