Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac

Hi, if you read the recent history you will find that Aspyr have now enabled mods in the latest version of Mac Civ5, so none of the old changes are necessary any more.

Hi I have the app store civ game with bnw and I'm trying to download several mods from modpackt such as pick'n'mix or serp's multiplayer modpack. So far I've just gathered the mods and put them in the MODS folder and they worked, except for some of them which require DLL - various mod components. This shows up as "missing required dependencies" in the in game mod panel. Now I have the DLL folder in the MODS folder but it isn't doing anything. Any help? Thanks.

Hi, welcome.

I may be wrong, but as far as I know, the Mac version of the game doesn't support custom DLLs.

Does the steam civ V not have a mods folder that I can install mods that aren't on the steam workshop with, if so is there a way to get the mods folder?

As indicated in section 6 of the first post in this thread, the Mods folder for a Steam installation is at:

/Users/[your_name]/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS/ , abbreviated to ~/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS/

As indicated in section 6 of the first post in this thread, the Mods folder for a Steam installation is at:

/Users/[your_name]/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS/ , abbreviated to ~/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS/

Oh sorry, must have accidently skipped that part, I'm terrible about that. :C

Trying these directions for the new CDG which is using mods not in the Steam Workshop. My only issue was that Keka is extracting the .civ5mod into a file a .modinfo file (as expected) and an XML folder with the .xml file(s). So I manually moved them and deleted the (now empty) XML folder.

No idea if that was necessary, but it conformed the results to what I already had in the MODS folder and I was able to load the .Civ5Save file that used the mods.

Trying these directions for the new CDG which is using mods not in the Steam Workshop. My only was that Keka is extracting the .civ5mod into a file a .modinfo file (as expected) and an XML folder with the .xml file(s). So I manually moved them and deleted the (now empty) XML folder.

No idea if that was necessary, but it conformed the results to what I already had in the MODS folder and I was able to load the .Civ5Save file that used the mods.

ty for explanation.

i tried to move the files. but i dont know where.

can u explain me where i move the files? i have a folder contents, with multiples xml's folders inside.

sorry for my english xD

i have civ5 for mac non steam. how can i install the mods?

Sorry, I do not have the App Store version (the Campaign Edition), so I really cannot help you, as I have no idea how that changes the experience. I would think that part of the point of the App Store is to make apps hard to modify (since that would be a security risk).

This thread seems to be about the Steam version -- before they added the MOD button on the top level menu.

AlanH seems to be done with it too, as he wrote “I don't plan to maintain it in future, as mods in the Mac AppStore version always seem to be a bit tricky.”

I think this thread is still relevant for mods not available from within the Steam overlay, not the least of which are WHoward’s Pick‘N’Mix Mods.

I am circling back to this before I forget...

My only issue was that Keka is extracting the .civ5mod into a file a .modinfo file (as expected) and an XML folder with the .xml file(s). So I manually moved them and deleted the (now empty) XML folder.

Turns out that the above extra step caused WHoward’s mods not to work for me. I thought I was correcting some glitch with Keka...

Instead of having control buttons command thingy, i have "Controls.ModsButton:RegisterCallback( Mouse.eLClick, ModsButtonClick );"

Help?

That is line 72 in my copy of the MainMenu,lua file. The line you need to modify is line 41. Here is the block of code:

Code:
function ShowHideHandler( bIsHide, bIsInit )
    if( not bIsHide ) then
        Controls.Civ5Logo:SetTexture( "CivilzationV_Logo.dds" );

-- This is a catch all to ensure that mods are not activated at this point in the UI.
        -- Also, since certain maps and settings will only be available in either the modding or multiplayer
        -- screen, we want to ensure that "safe" settings are loaded that can be used for either SP, MP or Mods.
        -- Activating the DLC (there doesn't have to be any) will make sure no mods are active and all the user's
        -- purchased content is available
        if (not ContextPtr:IsHotLoad()) then
			UIManager:SetUICursor( 1 );
			Modding.ActivateDLC();
			PreGame.LoadPreGameSettings();
			UIManager:SetUICursor( 0 );

-- Send out an event to continue on, as the ActivateDLC may have swapped out the UI	
			Events.SystemUpdateUI( SystemUpdateUIType.RestoreUI, "MainMenu" );
		end
    else
        Controls.Civ5Logo:UnloadTexture();
    end
[b]	Controls.ModsButton:SetHide( true ); -- MAC_PORT - rickb Comment this line out to re-enable mods. Happy modding![/b]
end

Copy two hyphens from another line and paste them in at the start of the line I have highlighted.

Something has definitely changed with the Mac campaign edition. The mods I have installed in the past still work, but the library/applicationsupport/ folder is missing under 'Finder.' So I can't install any new mods. Also, mods I've previously installed don't come up when I search their name in the finder. Sorry if this has been asked, anyone find a way around this?

Hi, welcome :wavey:

Please be aware that the ~/Library/ folder that you need to find is hidden by default in Finder. You need to hold down the Option/Alt key and select Go .. in the Finder;'s menus to be able to select it.

Also, the Applications Support folder is now buried in the sandboxing system. The MODS folder is now at:

~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civ5campaign/Data/Library/Application Support/Civilization V Campaign Edition/MODS/

Hi Im using civ v campaign edition and cant seem to find the mod button on the main menu and to make matters worse, I cant find mainmenu.lua to remedy this problem. Please help.
here is what i see in the file: sid meier's civ v --- http://imgur.com/34Y2ixV

Hi, welcome

Your screenshot shows the contents of your user directory for Civ5. The mainmenu.lua file is not there, it's inside the actual application package.

Find the application in /Applications/
Right click it and select Show Package Contents.
Navigate from there to:
/Applications/Civilization V Campaign Edition.app/Contents/Home/Assets/UI/FrontEnd/MainMenu.lua

Hey Thanks! I've got the mod button up, however I'm unsure where to place the mods.
I tried placing it in aspyr/sid meier civilization V/ MODS
but it said there was'nt any mods installed...

Have you extracted the mod from its compressed file? If it's a xxxx.civ5mod file then you need to extract it to create a folder, and put that into the MODS folder.

Top Bottom