The Deity Challenge Line-up #20 - Spain - Valentine day Resurrected

When do you managed to tech to hospital and medical labs? I'm often rushing away to plastics and then straight onto Apollo / Hubble / Boosters. Then I am often using GS to bulb out the rest of the game.

But it only leaves a 15 turn gap where I can actually use medical labs and I'd rather use that gold to buy Research Labs or Space Parts. Because of this I find I never get over 40 pop by turn ~220 (earliest SV of mine)

I often detour for Penicillin after Plastics for the extra trade route and medical lab, so that would be at least 20-30 turns of boost. This game is also special that I had gold to buy every end game building in capital.

T197 Diplo Victory
5th DCL and first sub-200 victory :)

Spoiler :

Purchasing 2 settlers early and access to lot of wonders made the game fun. I was initially planning for Science Victory, but possibility of sub-200 win made me change to diplo.

Tech path :: Pottery, Mining, Calender, Writing, Masonary, BW, Wheel, Philosophy

BO :: Scoutx2, Bought 2 Settlers with gold from NWs, Worker, Settler

SP :: Tradition, Commercex3, Rationalism, Freedom

Wonders :: MoH, Temple of Artemis, Hanging Gardens, Oracle, Maachu, Colossus, LTOP, PT, Taj Mahal, Big Ben

Religion :: One with Nature Pantheon, Tithe, Religious Community, Peace Garden, Religious Texts

WC :: World Fair, World Ideology

Attachments

• Spain_DCL20.jpg
    Spain_DCL20.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 660
So to get a fast DiploV, you have to rush to information era before 2nd WC vote, is that correct? Also you have to pass either WR or WI or built FP prior to the UN vote itself.

I think Globalization is enough. But since you most likely have control of the WC, you can also pass World Religion or World Ideology (safer) just in case someone starts sniping City States.

So to get a fast DiploV, you have to rush to information era before 2nd WC vote, is that correct? Also you have to pass either WR or WI or built FP prior to the UN vote itself.

In my game I passed world ideology, but is not strictly necessary. I had two more delegates than needed for world leader vote by allying with all CS (no FP or WR). Timing to reach info. Era before second WC vote is critical. As claudiupb pointed out, globalization is important as it gives five delegates with your diplomats. But it is not very difficult as you will have 10 turns to tech globalization after reaching info. Era. Also, its safe to pass WR or WI or build FP. If you do not win your first world leader vote, you have to wait 20 turns for the next vote.

T222 Peaceful CV on this fun map. This was the second playthrough (first time I did some roleplaying and settled every NW), wanted to see how fast i could go.

Spoiler :

Settled next to the coast and mountain, went for 4 city tradition with quickly bought settlers. Infra was built with help of russian labour and bold celtic settlers.

After building petra and working mount kili the game went on lightning speed. Russia spent the game fighting with England and Byzantium so no serious wars were fought.

Many wonders were built:

Petra, Oracle, Chichen Itza (first time ever!), Sistine, Uffizi, Lourve, SOH, SOL, and Broadway

WC helped out with WF (won), IG (won), and +3 to wonders.

GM bombs on England and Austria ended the game. Its nice when the culture people are your neighbours and you dont have to sell cities.

Social policies: Full trad, Full Aest, Full Rat, 1 Exp, 6 in Freedom.

Religion was One with nature, Pagodas, Tithe, swords to ploughshares and RT.

In hindsight the Lourve and Explorer opener slowed me down, too much hammers and culture to get a good return.

Attachments

• 2015-06-18_00002.jpg
    2015-06-18_00002.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 172
I think Globalization is enough. But since you most likely have control of the WC, you can also pass World Religion or World Ideology (safer) just in case someone starts sniping City States.

Usually it isn't enough in my experience. But with World Ideology, it becomes just enough. Sometimes an AI will capture a CS and other times it will be liberated and the total number of needed votes fluctuates greatly. You can count on Forbidden Palace though

t247 CV

It is my first cultural victory on deity.
My fastest on deity an DLC ever.
This map was indeed easy, even for a deity beginner like me.

More or less I followed some playthrough that I read on the previous post for a peaceful CV.

Here is the final screenshot:

Spoiler :
2015-08-21_00003.jpg

Short post, I will save time for my 4th DLC... Can't wait to have 5! :lol:

Decided to jump back into Civ 5 and try some of these DCL. Figured I'd start with some of the easier ones. Probably could have done just about any type victory with this map.

Spoiler :

Pretty standard opening with 5 city tradition and was able to buy 2 settlers with the gold from finding the natural wonders. Overall, I think I could probably win a science victory at least 20 turns faster if I replayed the map but still not a bad time. The AIs were actually pretty slow in tech due to the constrained land and also didn't have a ton of gold to trade.

The things that could have made the victory faster:
- Finding Mt Kilimanjaro faster as I scouted the opposite way to start and didn't find it til around turn 10
- Needed to prioritize getting gold to buy science buildings faster
- Better use of great scientists
- Lost a couple of turns when building parts since I planned to use a great engineer but the city was too small to fully rush buy the last part

Here is what things looked like a little after turn 100:

Here's a few turns after research labs as I didn't have enough gold to buy immediately:

Here is the end game screenshot:

Last little while I've been trying to improve my fastest science victory. Without much luck rolling a perfect map, I elected to play the DCL that had the fastest SVs. I replayed this a lot, eventually electing for a 5-city Tradition game - 4 city NC and 5th city shortly after Astronomy (T105, so settled around T110). The 5th city got me a luxury for WLTKD in capital; I grew it to 25 pop, getting 220 beakers.

City Populations: 54, 23, 27, 29 (Mountain), 25 (5th city, had 2 cargo ships running to it for a while). The 5th city meant less food caravans to the previous expos. I had saved up enough gold to kick-start it with a Monument, Granary, Aqueduct, and Workshop, along with a couple tile purchases.

Religion
Desert Folklore
Tithe, Religious Community, Swords into Plowshares, Reliquary (50 faith each time a great person is expended).
I produced 1 missionary, spreading to 2 expos, and 1 prophet which I planted. AI converted my expos dozens of times; I had to surround my capital to keep their prophets at bay.
Tithe was bringing in a whopping 17gpt at the end. I realize the Religion aspect could have been done quite differently. My main goal here was to have 2,500 or even 3,500 faith for 2 GS and perhaps a GE at the end. I was 1 turn away from 3,500 and could have used the final 1,000 to GE Sydney Opera House if I needed help finishing Rationalism.

Social Policies
Full Tradition
2 into Commerce
4 into Rationalism (Secularism + Free Through)
Mercantilism (Commerce) just before researching Plastics
Universal Suffrage (Freedom tier 2)
I think next I went 5th Rationalism policy, then 3 in Patronage to grab a late Scholasticism, then finish up core 6 in Freedom so I could buy spaceship parts and finish Rationalism to grab Nanotechnology
*trading gpt for gold helped me ally all Cultural CS for the final 9-10 turns of the Worlds Fair bonus (maximizing my use of 3 Great Writers on final bonus turn) and keep them for the remainder of the game, which is what led me to go 3 deep into Patronage

RAs
None. Didn't feel like I had extra gold until near the end.

Tech Order
Took Philosophy and built NC before Currency/Petra.
T86 Education (previous attempts were 88-93, but this time I had 9bpt of TR incoming), dipped down for Iron Working (Colossus), Metal Casting to start on workshops, then towards Astronomy
Printing Press ~T115, Scientific Theory T137, then Electricity and used Oxford on Radio
Plastics T163 using 1 GS bulb. I started trading gpt for lump sum gold every single turn leading up to this and bought 5/5 Labs immediately (Big Ben completed right on time); I kept trading gpt for lump gold pretty much every turn for the rest of the game, something I likely haven't done enough in the past.
After Plastics, got Fertilizer, then Penicillin, then onwards to Rocketry/Satellites. Not sure if including Penicillin before Rocketry makes any difference when going Freedom.
Beakers really took off as I started to produce research, build trading posts, and got Scholasticism (worth 96 at the end, which isn't that impressive).
I found it difficult to manage the GS bulbs and overflow, which I still haven't mastered. In the end, I had an extra GS sitting next to the capital and wasted a turn as I forgot to buy the 6th spaceship part immediately, but I'd replayed so much that I didn't want to replay any further just to shave off further turns.

Things I did not build:
I specifically chose not to build any Shrines, Temples, Amphitheatres Opera Houses, or Archaeologists. I also didn't build Circus Maximus, though I would have if needed.

War
I DOWed every AI in the early game for caravans, workers, 1 cargo ship, and a few tile pillages. Along with UA, this led to a lot of early gold. Scouts with Mt. Kil promotion can move onto hill in AI territory, pillage, and move back to 3rd ring in one turn, so I had to do that at least a few times.
Did not bribe the AI to DOW at all
Leveled up some units on nearby CS, generating GG that I used to grab more territory for capital
Attacked once by civ to the East; held them off long enough to make peace before they took a city. Peaceful game afterwards, only denounced once.

Spoiler :

This map is a very fast map, so good for trying fast victories.

Yeah I just read through the thread. There are some good targets to aim for, including very fast Domination. I can also see why Consentient got p*ssed off with people moaning. Some of what they say in this thread is a joke

I think the thread is a repost, because IIRC there was some serious bickering among users and someone had to drop the hammer eventually

I won on turn 232. I chose to fill the Piety tree rather than Rationalism, which certainly slowed me down. As usual though, it was tricky getting the Wolrd Congress votes setup so I could win the International Games. I won by 140 hammers, so very happy there!

Weird game though. Everyone was DoF all the time, even Catherine, who backstabbed me three times, but always made DoF again straihgt after.

So I finally won a game by domination.... :mad:

Spoiler :

Scoutet from West to east around my capital and found kilimanjaro and later the crater. Bought 1 settler to found barcelona on silver to the west of the capital with the idea to maybe get petra - which turned out to be a success.

With the free settler from collective rule I founded sevilla and then I concentrated on building military units.

Captured london first, then moscow and later constantinople. Left about half the army in the north west to protect in case of DoW by theodora, elizabeth or katharina. Then I conquered china. DoWed Dido to get karthago but it was very hard to get around the mountains there. So I made peace with her by which I got utica. This solved my problem with the mountains as now I could prepare my army directly north to karthago. About 15 turns later karthago was mine.
During the 10 turns of peace with Dido I conquered edinburgh and started to prepare to go to war with austria.

At this time, all except katharina DoWed me but this wasn't a problem as I had some artilleries and they didn't *kabooom*. Finished austria and the game by capturing vienna at T201.

Turn 319 Cultural Victory

Have been playing around with the immortal challenges, wanted to try to see if I've improved enough to beat deity. Figured I'd start with the ones labeled super easy and try to work my way up.

Spoiler :
Founded the hill 2 tiles west. After finding Mt Kilamanjaro, bought a settler and founded Barcelona on the coastal silver next to the mountain to the west. Bought the tiles to work Kilamanjaro. Founded a 3rd city on the hill 1 tile SE of the mountain north of the capital. Was planning on going 3 cities, until I found the Great Barrier Reef. Managed to beat Austria there to found a city.

Got Petra in Barcelona which was huge. Only took 2 cities, London and Vienna. Elizabeth beat me to 2 wonders I wanted, so waited til artillery could shoot over the longbows and took her capital. Maria was keeping up with me tourism/culture wise, so once Battleships came online it was just easier to steal all her toursim and wonders.

Ended up with the 2nd biggest religion behind Dido. Got world religion/world ideology order.

Would have won diplomatic next turn, but was trying for a CV, so wanted to make sure I got it. Had to pop 2 GM's to finish off China in time.

Hi, i want play with this map but i can't find the save file.....can someone please help me?
Aniway i'm not english and i've bad english i don't be good with the forum, so can someone say me how to take in general all the map of the deity challenge? because i can't find.....
thank you very much

Top Bottom