Israel Mod for Civ 5

Great ideas coming in, I have added some of them to my list in #2 post.

I like the idea of centering around a Ancient Israel mod also, but what would we considered ancient Israel? Up until the destruction of the second Temple?

I do think that modern Israel elements should be included so that more changes could have an effect as the game progresses in time.

Jewish semi-autonomy continued long after the Temple was destroyed. I would probably extend what I consider "Ancient Israel" at least until the time of Yehuda HaNasi, and possibly up until the dissolution of the Sanhedrin in the early 5th Century. In practical terms, I'm not sure what that would mean -- other than including Tzippori as a city.

Why shouldn't it be? The only other possible candidate would be Hebron, but that's like a %0.0001 chance. Isn't Jerusalem the obvious choice?

samaria would work too, i guess, but that's about as likely as hebron. jerusalem it is.

Tel Aviv as Capital?

freedom fighter isn't the same thing as leader. that would be like if in another couple thousand years, civilization CM had osama bin laden as the leader of arabia

Tel Aviv as Capital?

No. "Jewusalem".

-Life of Brian

No, seriously, Jerusalem. If I remember correctly, Tel Aviv wasn't even a city in ancient israel. And jerusalem was always the capital, even during the period of the 2 kingdoms, the kingdom of judah (main one) had its capital in jerusalem and the kingdom of israel had its eyes on the place, sparking off a couple 'o wars.

jews don't worship jesus. were fine with him but we don't believe he was the messiah. this is the main differance between judaism and christianity

There are other, more important differences. I'd like to stay on topic (if you really want to talk about this make a thread on the Off-Topic forum and post a link), but, again other, more important differences. (or you can pm me if you want to find out.)
Summary:

Trinity, Incarnation, that sort of thing.

No. "Jewusalem".

-Life of Brian

No, seriously, Jerusalem. If I remember correctly, Tel Aviv wasn't even a city in ancient israel. And jerusalem was always the capital, even during the period of the 2 kingdoms, the kingdom of judah (main one) had its capital in jerusalem and the kingdom of israel had its eyes on the place, sparking off a couple 'o wars.

Yeah, was the Capital of Modern Israel, where most of the countries have their embassies

nitpick: Tel Aviv is not nor ever was the capital of Israel. Most major countries have their embassies there because they do not recognize Jerusalem (on the territory the Israelis claim) as Israel's capital - not because they recognize Tel Aviv as the capital (which it is not).

nitpick: Tel Aviv is not nor ever was the capital of Israel. Most major countries have their embassies there because they do not recognize Jerusalem (on the territory the Israelis claim) as Israel's capital - not because they recognize Tel Aviv as the capital (which it is not).

:blush: you are right, they only drafted the Declaration of Independence there

Now that Civ 5 has been released and the mod tools will be out shortly, time to bump this thread to get some ideas cooking...

Instead of farms you could have kibbutzim (I think that's the plural of a kibbutz).

I lived on a kibbutz in Israel for 6 months a few years back and it was such a great experience. Israel is such an amazing country!:)

EDITED ON 9/27:

1. Leaders? David or Solomon

2. Unique Buildings? Pick 1 if not using 2 UUs Kotel (Replacing Walls, gives culture) Tower of David (Replacing Castle, gives culture)

3. Unique Units? Pick 1 or 2 Peltist(Replacing Archer, has a bonus vs. Melee units), Maccabee (Replacing Swordsman, start with Drill I) Merkava (Replacing Modern Armour, Has +1 Speed and +5 Strength)

4. Other ideas?

Ideas in bold-ish.

Leader: Solomon, the Kingdom of Israel reached it's peak under his rule. :king:
Babylon or Persian figurehead?

Unique Unit: Maccabee (impressibly fought off Greece, and as said before also refers to entire rebel army)

Unique Building: Synagogue, provides extra culture :worship:

Unique Trait: Promised Land, decreases unhappiness created from war. :ar15:

More good ideas, got them added to my original post.

Well, there's no UN resolutions to deny and no war weariness per se. If you want to say decreased unhappiness from conquering cities, that could work, but not necessarily something that makes sense.

My suggestion
Leader: Solomon
Unique Unit: Maccabee - replaces Archer, cheaper (45 instead of 70). Animation would be a slinger
Unique Unit: Merkava - replaces Modern Armor, strength 100, heals at twice the rate

I figure the two unique units would represent the two main periods of Israeli history. The Merkava, in addition to being the strongest unit aside from Giant Death Robots, would heal quicker to represent the added protection they get (Merkavas are designed to protect the people inside at all costs).

Unique Ability - Promised Land - +25% bonus inside own territory (not thrilled with this one, but can't think of anything better at the moment).

I really like this idea.

Question:

What time frame of an Israelic civilization/mod would you prefer?

I see two options for this (please correct me if you disagree):

1. Ancient. Israel being surrounded by strong ancient civilizations like Egypt, Rome, Persia etc.

2. Modern. Israel in the "middle east" with modern Arabic states surrounding it (Iran, Libanon, Egypt, etc.), while most of them have a diplomatic malus against Israel. Maybe we can have a very close city state named "Palestine" right next to the starting settler which is at constant war against Israel. Well, I really don't want to make any political statement or emphasis at all. However I think this may be an interesting setup ;)

In both options I could picture an XP bonus to every military unit which is built in Israelian Cities, to counter the strong enemies.

Basically a free barracks? I could see something like that.

I would avoid making Israel too militaristic at the expense of considering the rest of their history (and there is the whole Monotheism thing ;) ). But there's no denying modern Israel's military contributions. Also, their noteworthy military successes in ancient times (mostly just beating the Selucids, but survived surrounded by Egyptians, Babylonians, and Assyrians, that's gotta count for something).

I would avoid making Israel too militaristic at the expense of considering the rest of their history (and there is the whole Monotheism thing ;) ).

I totally agree, but I don't see a Civ V concept which could represent the religious thing properly. Cheap temples/monuments for culture for example probably don't represent it well.

Free barracks seem fine to me ;)

Top Bottom