The Deity Challenge Lineup - Game # 5 - The Inca

Thank you Acken.I'll stay most definetly since i already caught an eye on Babylon DCL(i like the idea of OCC) and also Spain map..Will probably try the Zulu DCL also,but i expect to get owned,since i am a major domination noob^^

I suggest you play DCL6, 8, 18, 19, 20, to get you up to speed. In my opinion, DCL8 is easier to get a DomV than DCL1

Thanks for the tip:),i believe DCL 20 is next for me anyway(i rly want to see that Spain working out,with that nice 500g start^^)

So I am playing this map and trying Acken's approach: stealing workers from the get-go and building settlers from turn 20. I happened to be at Cathy's borders at the best time ever: nabbed 2 settlers and 2 workers and pillaged a caravan by t29. Well, isn't that lovely. :king:

Won SV on t256. Actually, though I'd win a lot earlier, but I think I messed too much with my bulbs. How do you bulb in the lategame again? Only late Atomic and Information era techs?

I think there were also 3 things that contributed to a slower than expected time:

1. Got carried away harassing Cathy and stealing her workers. Stole more than needed, but because my units were around her borders, a barbarian camp spawned and blocked the path to my settling, so I lost around 10-15 turns moving units and killing the camp and barbarians it had spawned before settling my last city, which delayed the NC.

2. Got something like t110 Acoustics and bulbed a writer for Rationalism, got too excited, researched Printing Press and built Pisa... and then realized I specifically planted 4 cities next to mountains to build observatories. *facepalm* Had to go get Astronomy.

3. Hard-built all science buildings in the game. I did not have any gpt for the first half of the game, and nobody wanted to be friends. Also, World's Fair coincided with Scientific Theory, and I desperately needed to win it because Genghis took the cultural CS ally, and my culture sucked even with Sistine Chapel and culture religion. I barely squeezed those policies out.

Do you have a screenshot please adcarrymaokai?

Won SV on t256. Actually, though I'd win a lot earlier, but I think I messed too much with my bulbs. How do you bulb in the lategame again? Only late Atomic and Information era techs?

I think there were also 3 things that contributed to a slower than expected time:

1. Got carried away harassing Cathy and stealing her workers. Stole more than needed, but because my units were around her borders, a barbarian camp spawned and blocked the path to my settling, so I lost around 10-15 turns moving units and killing the camp and barbarians it had spawned before settling my last city, which delayed the NC.

2. Got something like t110 Acoustics and bulbed a writer for Rationalism, got too excited, researched Printing Press and built Pisa... and then realized I specifically planted 4 cities next to mountains to build observatories. *facepalm* Had to go get Astronomy.

3. Hard-built all science buildings in the game. I did not have any gpt for the first half of the game, and nobody wanted to be friends. Also, World's Fair coincided with Scientific Theory, and I desperately needed to win it because Genghis took the cultural CS ally, and my culture sucked even with Sistine Chapel and culture religion. I barely squeezed those policies out.

If you culture still sucked you must've been playing a difficult setting, particularly since you had sistine chapel and culture religion. Bulbing in the later eras gives more science per bulb than earlier eras where academies are recommended earlier and bulbs later.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 187

(...)

When having cities next to mountains (or even if you expect to get New Deal early), Academies tend to be better early on, as their science output (including multipliers) adds up nicely over time. I'd say, start bulbing scientists after turn 180 or so (this is a gross estimate, though, it's more dependant on when do you expect to win).

As for your culture, I'd say build (or steal) more Great Works. That culture is also subject to multipliers, builds up over time, and the cultural wonders are much stronger when they have the appropriate works. I'm saying this because you apparently have 0 tourism in that screenshot (and tourism is good to resist ideologies, too). Bulbing Writers and Artists is much better later on, too.

T275 Science victory

Spoiler :

Well, I played a peaceful science game for ~250 turns, then nearly lost it all!

Cities
Settled on copper beside mountain to the south. Built 1 city National College (in between Great Library and Hagia Sofia) expanded to 4 cities that blocked off my area (got Circus Maximus), then 2 more on the coast for 6 cities total. The first 5 trade routes sent food to my capital. Lost 2 cities towards the end.

Workers
No worker steals from other civs. Stole 5 workers from Ragusa. Never built or bought workers.

Science
Popped pottery and later library, and got Great Library around T35. Hit Education at 105 or 106, but after that I fell off as I struggled to balance what to build and when; definitely something to improve on.
I got over 1400 science and was wondering how close I would get to 2000 before war (see war).

Social Policies
Full tradition, taking the wonder booster 2nd to help with Great Library, Commerce Opener, 4 from Rationalism, then 8 in Order. I was first to ideologies and the next 2 civs also chose Order! But, it was all downhill from there :sad:

Religion
Got 2 consecutive Faith ruins between turns 20-25, chose Earth Mother, and timed Hagia Sofia to enhance my religion at turn 80-something. I went with Tithe, Pagodas, Mosques, and Religious Texts. The other 4 religions were founded by civs to the West, which helped mine spread to the majority of Russian cities, though that was later cut down. At the end of the game, my religion was in 23 cities: I produced 0 Missionaries and only used 1 Great Prophet to spread. Tithe was generating 88 gold at the end; probably at 90+ before losing my 2 cities (population drop).

Spaceship
I built Hubble Space Telescope in my capital, which built 2 spaceship parts; my 2nd city built 1 part. I used faith-generated great engineers for the 2 parts and the GE from Spaceflight Pioneers makes 6.

War
We were at peace for just over 250 turns, barely even paid anyone else to war during this time, while doing everything possible not to agitate - I never stole workers from civs and never spied, while making world congress proposals that others wanted. Regretfully, I also barely had any defenses ready when Russia attacked, with Ragusa and Mombasa helping. I saw the Russian troops at my borders and couldn't pay them off, nor did I have enough saved up to buy much defense. I circled the wagons and hung on for dear life, barely pulling off the science victory.

As I'm working through these challenges in order, I am now looking forward to finding out what #6 is.

Nice victory, even if it was a bit 'tight'. I can imagine someone barking orders in Incan (or whatever language they speak) - "Just f-ing launch! We need to get off this continent cuz Russia is coming!"

Haha, yeah that was pretty much the opposite of a Domination victory; our cities would have all been conquered before we landed on our new home planet.

This got me thinking: at times, it feels too easy to get other civs to go to war with each other or make peace with us, but in this situation I not only couldn't bribe them, but 20+ turns into war nothing could get them to agree to peace. So, I guess it was a bit more realistic/challenging, in that regard.

They won't make peace unless you kill a significant number of their units and your military is of a certain size.

"Sir! We lost Machu and Cusco is about to fall, the walls are not holding!"

"We'll send them a postcard from Alpha Centauri! COUNTDOWN!"

awesome :lol:

The postcard will be puzzled over by some bored Cossacks with limited English, and even more limited Quechua.

and then General Kozlov will follow Rejinaldo de Alencar de Bolivar de whatever and Battlesuit their asses :lol:

Finally got around to playing this one and won a 239 science victory. I do not know how to take screen shots on civ v apparently.

Full tradition, full rationalism, first two on the right for commerce and then six freedom. I built five cities, not sure that the fifth is really necessary or even beneficial for a science game.

Had one war against Ghengis, and liberated Monaco. I really focused on getting culture up as much as possible so I could get into commerce. Won worlds fair and had three great writer bulbs which helped a lot. I wasn't able to get the third tier of freedom until around turn 230. Was making around 300+ gold per turn towards the end.

Wonders: i was first to printing press and easily got pisa, took a great engineer and built sistine chapel. Porcelain tower, big ben, statue of liberty, hubble, eifell tower.

I did the usual finish oxford for radio and finish SOL for satellites. I was able to make friends with half the map and had a lot of research agreements, I had three come at the end so I was able to burn scientists quickly.

the only issue i ever have with freedom is the happiness because no one else ever goes freedom. I was able to hang on to positive happiness until the very last turn when i went to -9. I think buying parts is much more efficient than building them via order.

Im thinking if i went four cities i could shave at least five turns off the time. if anyone could tell me how to use screen shots it would be greatly appreciated. I keep hitting "print screen" but nothing is saving.

If you're on Windows, after pressing Print Screen, go to Paint, then press CTRL-V.

Top Bottom