The Deity Challenge Line-up #20 - Spain - Valentine day Resurrected

Spoiler :

If you want to compare it, here's what happened in my game:
Everyone was friendly with everyone except the Celts, who kind of got killed early.
At one point Cathy started randomly backstabbing people, she started with Theo. Being friends with Theo, Cathy now hated me. Meanwhile Wu and Dido have a catfight, I have a DoF with Wu and generally good relations with Dido. Maria and Liz like me, Wu and Cathy so they don't mind.

I then accept a DoF from Dido after making sure she isn't being hated by anyone else. Turns out, that made Wu hate me (even though she peaced out with Dido long ago, in hindsight, it was my fault they got into a fight anyway) so both Wu and Cathy denounce me DURING a DoF but nobody moves in because I completed Manhattan project in the meantime and that made a statement.

Cathy proceeds to clear out the continent, Liz and Theo are hit really hard and Cathy finishes off Becky, I denounce her and that eventually makes Wu friendly again and I get a diplo boost from everyone else. Basically a regular game :lol: the only difference was that both Dido and Liz remained cool until the end. Their end, natch, because they didn't stick around to see the game ending :D

Resurected thread in a hurry while we get news from consentient on the other thread. I'll probably take over the DCL unless someone else absolutely wants to host it. Meanwhile this is just a repost of the Spain map. This succession of hosts feels like playing CK2. I hope for you guys I don't get the cruel trait.

Welcome to the Deity Challenge Line-up!

- The spreadsheet of all challenge finishers to date has been updated and is available here.
Rules:
Spoiler :

This was a fortnightly event, but the schedule has changed and new games will now be posted every 10 days.

- All the games in this series are set to Deity difficulty.
- User civilizations, maps, and opponents change with each challenge, but the game speed is always set to Standard and the starting era is always Ancient.
- We try for a variety of starts
- This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions.
- If you complete 5 challenges, your name will be added to the 'Top Finishers' list.

* We welcome all comments and write-ups and invite you to post screenshots of key moments and the moment of victory (if you are successful), but please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, make a comment about which civs are in the game, or about wonders, or locations of ancient ruins, etc.

* In short, if it’s information you can only know by playing the game, don’t spoil it for others by divulging this information in the open. Thank you for your co-operation

DCL Game #20
You: Spain
Map Type:
Spoiler :
Terra

Starting Location:
Spoiler :

Settings: Quick combat/movement (turn it back on if you would like)
Everything else is set to default.
Game Version - 1.0.3.276
Downloadable Content: – G&K, BNW, Conquest of the New World Deluxe, Genghis Khan's Mongolia, Harold Bluetooth's Denmark, Isabella’s Sapin and Pachacuti's Incan Empire, Kamehameha's Polynesian Empire, Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon, Sejong The Great's Korea, Wonders of the Ancient World. The map packs are intentionally excluded.

Schedule
Spoiler :

Game #1 20/06/14 The Zulu Pangaea
Game #2 04/07/14 America Continents
Game #3 18/07/14 Persia Continents
Game #4 01/08/14 Sweden Pangaea
Game #5 15/08/14 The Inca Pangaea
Game #6 29/08/14 Byzantium Continents
Game #7 12/09/14 Ethiopia Pangaea
Game #8 26/09/14 Mongolia Pangaea
Game #9 10/10/14 Rome Small Continents
Game #10 24/10/14 Polynesia Terra
Game #11 07/11/14 Morocco Pangaea
Game #12 21/11/14 The Maya Continents
Game #13 05/12/14 Indonesia Continents
Game #14 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) The Netherlands Small Continents
Game #15 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) Poland Pangaea
Game #16 02/01/15 China Pangaea
Game #17 16/01/15 Germany Pangaea
Game #18 23/01/15 OCC Babylon Continents
Game #19 02/02/15 Aztecs
Game #20 12/02/15 Spain

I hope you all enjoy the map!
[For those of you who are used to Deity but have never tried a One City Challenge, here's your chance! For those of you who have tried before, here's a chance to improve your win time ;)]

If you have any comments, questions or would like to submit a map for consideration for future challenges, please send an email to: deitychallenge@outlook.com
*Temporary kept the same mail address, may change in the future - Acken

Please note that submitted maps MUST have map packs disabled, so those who do not have them can enjoy the challenge. To do this, you MUST go into the DLC option from the Main Menu and untick the options ‘Scrambled Nations’, ‘Explorers Map Pack’ and ‘Scrambled Continents’. You will need to do this EVERY TIME you start a new game, or just simply delete the map packs. I suggest you disable these map DLCs on steam directly. Steam will uninstall them, just reactivate them when you need them. Thanks.

Attachments

• DCL #20 - Spain.Civ5Save
    713.8 KB · Views: 427
Should have disabled all victory types except Domination so it could be one giant cat fight until Catherine got nukes and destroyed the world :lol:

This map was deliberately chosen as an OP map just for fun. Please don't post comments about how easy it is. Instead, show us just how easy it is with a write-up of your incredible win time.

... I wonder if I can get 4-digit cpt and tpt on deity... hmm...

nonetheless, I can play for win time too if that's what you want :lol: (I just have to settle for less wonders and more science)

Now where can that GBR be hiding... (I'm guessing it's GBR from the coast start but let's see)

btw what does it mean than she was never actually queen of Spain?

Natural Wonders can be few and far between depending on the map type
Spoiler :
pangea

oh goody, just in time because I managed to fail the Chinese DCL due to playing beyond horribly

oh... just noticed the "random personalities" there...

I wonder what kind of weird things will we see...
(Warmonger Theodora? Shipless Lizzy? Loyal Dido? CS bully Maria Theresa?)

Okay, I just loaded this. Spain's a civ I've been on a bit of a kick with because it's fun to cheat with Natural Wonders, so...let's see what we get!

Spoiler :
Anyway, I went west with my warrior and settled on the coastal forest about turn 2. I found Kilamonjaro really fast, I know because my city hadn't even reach two population and I had to wait to by my settler. Still, once I did I rushed it over and settled two tiles from the wonder, as well as two tiles from a mountain. I rush-bought the tile so the city state (Lhasa, I believe) wouldn't get it, and reaped immediate rewards. The celts had a settler unguarded in Milan, which I took. I made white peace later, but I know that has to hurt them.

Barcelona quickly got even bigger than my capital, yet the natural wonder provides happiness, I believe, making it officially great. I rushed out a lot of scouts and explored a lot of the map, including being the first to discover Barringer Crater and Jerusalem. This allowed me second pantheon, and of course I went One with Nature. Which my UA doubles.

I founded a third city next to the crater, on the border of the desert and within working range of the deer. So, that was a big faith and science boost. My only big issues are that China settled a 'troll city' as they call it, but I'm heading towards construction wicked fast and can easily raze it and replace it with what I want. Secondly, Austria built a city exactly where I want it, but I can always just take it. I feel like going science, mostly because I'm not big into war mongering even though I'll totally have whatever I need to win how I want.

Anyway, stuff!
Build order-
Madrid: Scout, Scout, Warrior, Archer, Mausoleum of Hallicarnasus (In the works)
Barcelona: Scout, Archer, Monument (In the works)
Seville: Archer (In the works)

Policies-
Liberty Opener to Republic to Collective Rule (I skipped monuments for because of Kilamonjaro)

Tech order-
Mining, Pottery, Archery, Masonry, Animal Husbandry, The Wheel, Sailing (Work in Progress)

Anyway, since I got One With Nature and settled near two natural wonders, I was making 16 faith per turn, which is lovely! In fact, I got a turn 36 Great Prophet and founded Protestantism, with Tithe and Pagoda's as my chosen beliefs. I know this is probably nothing special and a lot people will do something similar, but...I feel so powerful, it's great! I didn't even need to build shrines and I am far exceeding the AIs faith output! All in all, I'm liking this, if just because it's a deity map I can maybe beat.

Random personalities eh? I actually didn't notice, England still seems aggressive but...I can buy that.

Oh? Terra means conquistadors to see the NWs in the new world...!

I've never really gone wide before but...

Thanks Acken for reminding me! I can't believe I myself forgot! But could you put a spoiler tag on that, and you too, KB? Cheers

Spoiler :
I've never seen such a peaceful early game; had DoF with EVERYONE, and I really mean everyone. With cargo ships, money was always flowing and I signed a record number of RAs... (win turn would've been even faster if Lizzy didn't steal PT from me; she took rat opener and it didn't show up and I was careless, choosing to build PT in my 2nd city)
Midgame wars kinda started but no one came for me for some reason (perhaps it's because they make a lot of gold sending their ships to Madrid, but most likely because I was content to stay in my little seaside niche and not expand into the middle of the continent)

And had the worst luck with WLTKD; didn't get a single one for my capitol... the first thing they ask for is whales! (which are only found on the other side of the world and no CS has it!)
In the end overshot the last GM bomb by a bit, so could've shaved off 5-10 turns too...
meh... still my fastest CV to date. (not counting SS strategy)

Scaled the coast with my settler (while my warrior explored the mainland) expecting GBR... saw a CS (remembers how NWs are usually close to CS borders.... bingo!)

Handful of turns later I also saw Barringer Crater (a useless NW and the land is not so good so I'll just take the gold and not settle there); for some reason (I'd find out at the end of the game Boudicca spawned in such a way that she had no space to settle at all!) found 2 Celtic workers walking through the woods... so I kidnapped them.

Twin coastal cities should be very powerful... also stole a worker from CS and we are off to a flying start!

t66 Petra... pretty fast but had to beat China to it (which was kind of my plan anyway once I saw the desert hills... I told myself I'd try to get a Petra city; getting outside beakers from routes and beelining writing certainly helped) Salty Cathy (in full wonderwhoring mode...) took HG and ToA (really I didn't stand a chance if she decides to go for any wonders... salt is too strong) Early wonders are Petra, Oracle, and MoH (in 2nd city). Couldn't get anything else, none of the theology wonders...

Started exploring the new world (got so many ruins and ended up with 2 cavalry on t160 or so!) Did you know that conquistadors, once upgraded to cavalry, lose their ability to settle cities?

Unfortunately Russia beat me to this spot... only 100 gold for each tile.

I mean, I've seen 2 AIs invite each other to DoW before... this is my first time seeing FOUR (and I still have no idea what China did; she didn't conquer any CS, she just minded her own business and then suddenly a denouncement came out of nowhere... before I knew it everyone who had been friends up to that point went for her, except me and Austria). Sub t200 hotels is also a first for me.

Didn't have time to pass historical landmarks or natural heritage sites; so max tourism is kinda low... (also no landmarks in cap)

Religion was DF, religious community, swords to plowshares, messiah.
DF will outpace one with nature eventually, and is better long term if you settle here.

Culture leader Cathy was only at 25k at this point, so catching up was pretty easy. Celts didn't even have ideology yet.

Did you only make 2 cities, KB? :S

Did you only make 2 cities, KB? :S

Yep, just two. I had no desire to get into the catfight in the middle of the continent. (having observatory in cap certainly helped... my strategy was very similar to playing the Babylon OCC)

T220 DomV

Needless to say, I did want to get into that cat fight. However, my entry into it was delayed so my troops would have the edge.

Spoiler :
I went 3 cities, as I think Peddro definitely settled on the best number.

I knew that China would have to be kept friendly, so I paid her a little bit to fight other people. Liz wouldn't fight anyone but I made her my main trade partner.

I DoWed Jerusalem upon meeting them and used them as an XP/worker farm, because their terrain was so easy to manage. I took one worker from Russia as well and fended off the large army Cathy sent, plus assistants from Lhasa (her ally). This was the main training ground for XP actually. I also captured a Carthaginian settler who had wandered over and wanted to make my culture borders look like a Belted Galloway for ever more.

(Sorry I don't have more pics of this early action...my write-up this time is more detailed but I'm not as good as KB27787 at remembering to take the screenshots.)

Here is my army growing tired of waiting for Machinery.

And much later, after capturing London and Moscow, it finally turns on my BFF Wu.

Scouting and the demographics screen showed me I would need Artillery to crack open Maria Theresa, and she was sick of my warmongering by now. (One good thing is that China gave me Edinburgh in our peace deal, so no need to go down that hilly peninsula...YAY!)

After that, a handful of troops went East to snipe Carthage, who had depleted herself fighting on my side against China, while the main body of troops went up for the final showdown with Theo. Because I had left her alone all game and paid heavily, she was quite strong, actually had a bigger army than me. But of course by this time all my troops were uber-elite and even though I had been sloppy all game (so it could be more fun) my finish time was still not bad.

But I think there is potential on this map for sub-T150, easily.

/

hmmm I guess because of the UU, you built swords which upgrade on the tercio line, rather than pikes? (and I see you building WARRIORS :lol: I can't remember the last time I built one... probably never in my civ career) :lol:

Although I'm quite surprised people would build melee units that are not horses for domination. (pikes don't really count because they upgrade to lancers, but the musket line is rather hard to use, no?) Do you give them cover promotions and then use them as bait or...? how to use them?

No I built warriors, then upgraded them all the way. Muskets are great in general, Tercios are boss though. They are useful for everything that horses are useful for, without being weak to lancers and Impi!

One of the best things about Peddro's strategy is that it give you a reason to build Warriors (assuming UU - minutemen, musketeers, etc)

I've played 81 turns and I have 3 cities. Open Tradition to Liberty. I made a few small errors.
Spoiler :
Its seems like a peaceful bunch. I'm not sure how I will proceded. Russia is building all the wonders, Boudica forward settled me. That begs me to take all the land to the NE and maybe England too. My beakers are doing bretty well.

Here is my empire.
Spoiler :

Here we see a ruin located on top of a mountain.

Spoiler :

Top Bottom