The Deity Challenge Line-up #20 - Spain - Valentine day Resurrected

I miss seeing you around Manpanzee but I can understand that HOF is more fun for you. I would say it would not matter about the cheating or reloading. In this game if a player wishes to cheat they will figure out ways to do it even if someone is checking the files. I am sure that there is a way to bend the rules as well and not get caught.

I tried once to mess about with HOF but I was honestly confused lol and I did not like the idea of re-rolling maps to find the perfect one to get my fast turn time finish. However, we all have to do what we enjoy. Some players say that SP is nothing compared to MP and I would disagree since I have over 2000 hrs of MP and about 6500 hrs of SP. You have just as many options to manipulate games in your favor on MP as you do in SP and when players say that an SP strategy is not good because it does not work in MP is too far for me. They are completely two different animals and different strategies as well. Can you make your MP strategies work on SP? Of course because any strategy can work pretty much in SP and only certain strategies will work in MP. The best strategy of all in MP is to play up the Diplo and become good friends with players that you will play with over and over so you can become more of a "team" instead of playing a true FFA game. This is why I prefer 1v1 when I play MP which brings no collusion into play.

I personally never reload and I try to not replay maps because that is too much abuse for me but other than that I will abuse the AI to no end when I play which most players do not respect. When I first heard of players reloading games years ago I could not believe that was allowed in the game. Civ was the first video game of many video games where I was able to actually reload a turn because of any reason I wanted and I did not like that option was allowed in the game.

Edit: Oh I just realized you played this game out but I guess you took a break from recent DCLs anyways I am updating the Leaderboards so you are in the top ten now for SV!

I can personally say that the frequent griping from various people about maps being "too easy" is a big reason why I mostly stopped participating in these and switched to HoF Gauntlets. It's not just the negativity toward the host; it's also alienating toward less-experienced players. Like, we get it, Deity is easy for you. It isn't for most people. What I don't get is how people can lack the self-awareness to realize that them being extremely good at Civ is the reason that Civ is easy -- Civ is Civ, and if it's easy for you, that's because of YOU, not because other people have some mysterious inability to roll sufficiently difficult maps.

This is exactly the kind of opinion that I think needs to be aired now, to nip this problem in the bud, before it blossoms out of control. I say this not just because you have the same opinion as me. These opinions need to be said whichever camp the person is in. Then, when the cards are on the table, the community can see 'where it is at'.

So thanks, Manpanzee. :)

About mid-way through my game, and contemplating a diplomatic victory. I almost never play this victory condition intentionally, it just happens by accident. Whenever I have intentionally gone after this victory, I end up forgetting something and I have to wait until the next vote, and usually end up in a war to pass the time, then I just lose focus and end up winning some other way ;)

This is my understanding of what I need:

Hit Information Era ASAP as host - 6 votes
Ally all CS - 32 votes
Build Forbidden Palace - 2 Votes
Pass World Ideology - 2 Votes

If I do these things, I have more than enough votes without Globalization, right? Is vote always a predictable number of turns after I hit information era?

t140
Spoiler :
I am so glad Maria is not in this game - that shrill voice and echo on her greeting is unbearable!

Looking back at posts, it appears most people's first 3 citiy locations are similar to mine, except the stronger ones settled the cap near the Petra site, and on the coast. I settled the river tile next to the pearls, and my 500g Settler went SE of the desert mtn, 3 tiles from Kilimanjaro. I popped several gold ruins, a pop, an Archer, and a map, which for once was helpful as it revealed Barringer, so that 500g helped buy Kilimanjaro. Settled 3rd city 2 SW of the cottons. I would normally settle behind the river(s).

Liz beat me to a bunch of wonders, she got HG and Theo got ToA. I did get MoH early, and once I had Stone Works it was pretty sweet. Desert city got Petra t78 and Oracle t88. I didn't make a single farm until t87, too many luxes and production tiles to work. I ended up with too many Workers, but really wanted early production, and plenty of farms for CivServ.

I was not 1st to GBR, but I did settle near Bucharest for it, and strangely was able to snipe the gems! Cathy gave me the settle warning, WTF? I'm 29 spaces from her nearest city. Unless it was a delayed one, which you sometimes get when someone flips from Friendly to worse... Constant DOF with Theo and Cathy, Liz even offered which I declined, but I then realized random personalities means she may not actually be Liz...

I am about to get my first Conquistador, so we'll see if there are any other NW out there worthwhile. I built several Triremes to get ready for Navigation.

Weird religion game, Cathy is Missionary spamming like crazy. I took One w Nature, but her pressure took away its effect in Barcelona once I founded Islam (5th religion t58 - they went really fast), so it took forever to get a GP to spread to my own cities. I NEVER have trouble spreading. (Plus Wu took Taoism, grrrr.) I held the GP in reserve, cuz sure enough, Cathy flipped Barcelona later with a GP, but luckily it was its last use, so I flipped it back. I took Tithe, Rel Community, Swords/Plowshares, and Reliquary. I went 3 into Piety after Tradition so I could get some freakin' faith, and Theocracy with all those gold tiles is pretty sweet!

Maybe it's just me, but I certainly don't see this game as OP like most others do. I had to really scramble to get my military going as I stayed on the lower tree and was really late to get Libraries even. I am catching up fast, but it looked dicey for a while.
Spoiler :

Attachments

• 2015-02-18_00001.jpg
    2015-02-18_00001.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 667
@ Nigel_Tufnel2

Spoiler :
Holy Warriors would of solved any problem building military. I was able to either build, faith buy or rush buy a unit every turn very early. I also took Heathen Conversion but I only converted about 9 Barbs so it wasn't really worth while. I think if I took To the Glory of God instead it would of been better. I don't know how everyone found the GBR lol! Even after I finished satellites I still do not know where it is because I forgot to look. I am actually still not sure where it is and I've read all your games so I guess I need to look at the maps more closely.

@Nigel

I don't think I've ever hit Education as fast as this one because I was really lucky to get the Petra+HG combo, I sniped the tech lead way before Industrial era even though my 3rd city
Spoiler :
on GBR
came out a tad late, and I never looked back.

But, like I believe I already asked, did anyone find the
Spoiler :
FoY
in time

The next map will be posted on the 20th. I expect it will be a tougher one outside of people comfort zone and you'll be playing India.

A nice Friday night match for those of us with no life. I cant wait.

The next map will be posted on the 20th. I expect it will be a tougher one outside of people comfort zone and you'll be playing India.

eh... what happened to my Brazil map? :lol: (as well as the other maps consentient had)...

Did you phase out the maps Consentient was planning or simply delayed them?

Close but no cookie !

Turn 201 science victory.
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I think putting Cordoba next to the river rather than mountain was a mistake but if I remember I hadn't clean the camp at that stage so didn't bother. I will replay that map just to say I got a sub 200 SV :p

t169
Spoiler :

Achieved a turn 169 Plastics with a few GS bulbs and Oxford to Plastics with a t145 Ideology(Freedom) via factories.
An uneventful affair so far except that Cathy has decided I'll be following her religion. I wouldn't mind but I took the +%15 production. She initially settled 8 cities and now has 21! Got beaten to Hanging Gardens and Chichen Itza, but got Petra And ToA, and Oracle, and......

Since I'm in the position to kick some ass I might or perhaps an early peaceful SV

Attachments

• t169Plastics.jpg
    t169Plastics.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 151
Quickly replayed to settle the score and got a turn 194 science victory ! Put Cordoba at the right spot and made more use of research agreements. Three turns could have been cut by being more precise with RAs. The science in Fusion is all from RA at the last turn.

Spoiler :

As long as I don't get to see Shaka or Askia nearby, I think I can manage anything
Well, you could probably manage Askia. He can be a real pain but don't even come close to Shaka on my opinion. Ikanda promoted Impis when spammed by a Deity AI can be really scary. Mankedalus are problematic because they don't have city attack penalty but at least you can try to pillage his horses and if you keep them away from your cities, they are not scarier than regular knights.
Now, he's a very aggressive guy for sure but often if you DoW an agressive AI early and stay at war (well, they often won't accept peace anyway) they will perform worse than if you allow them to come for you. Even a bad warmonger like myself can often manage such a situation ;)

But Impis ... eeeek :eek:

Top Bottom