Community Deity Game #1 - Persia

Nice concept. I'll likely give this a rust busting attempt.

Thanks to Grendel for the heads up :)

Relics will come back after a personal harassment advertising campaign so keep on advertising the new series ;)

By the way, anyone know what happened to Japan? Supposed to be the last civ for DCL series.

Some screenshots of my game. I reached the end phase and it's gonna be messy :/

any ideas how to stir the pot? Everyone likes each other now that we all dealt with that guy

Attachments

• persia1.jpg
    persia1.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 129
  • persia2.jpg
    persia2.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 113
  • persia3.jpg
    persia3.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 99
  • persia4.jpg
    persia4.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 106
  • persia5.jpg
    persia5.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 119
On the spreadsheet:-

Ultimately, since ST is the scribe, he can do what he likes. He's obviously interested in catering to the wider community, and that's great. It's just that the points systems you are describing are not very congruent with my original idea for the series.

I performed a survey, and thought hard about it, and then compiled a concept which was noticeably different from the DCL. Now it just seems like people want to carry on playing DCL-style games. Which is strange because almost everyone that responded to the survey indicated a way in which they wanted it tweaked.

The CDG is not aimed at being less-casual than DCL, but it is aimed at being narrower. This map is a Domination map primarily, and I don't personally want to see a complicated set of points that makes the original weightings of the achievements largely irrelevant.

I also don't want to see any finishes that don't complete the VC added to the list. In my book, if you finish this map with a SV, that's a failure. It was not the idea of the map. It IS the idea of the next map I have prepared (assuming one of the potential rotating hosts doesn't bring a map to me before then). The next map is a 'Medium' map that should be straightforward IF the player solves one or two major puzzles.

I really like the idea of 'solving' the map, so as to break up the monotony. For most of us, if we do X, we win. I want to encourage a play style where certain factors, unique to the map and the VC, mean that the map has to be solved. For example, Grendel solved this map quite well, I not so well. That should be rewarded. (I'm not going to be on the spreadsheet, but that's not the point).

Anyway, you can all do as you like. That's the last word I'll say on the matter ;)

Some screenshots of my game. I reached the end phase and it's gonna be messy :/

Yeah, you have a lot of beasts to take out! That 'guy' you said you all dealt with doesn't look finished IMO. For starters, no one has their capital!

On turn 130, so far managed to wage war with unconventional carpet of pikemans + trebuchets, attacked the NW neighbor since he has some nice wonders such as CI. Managed to be well over unit caps even with 5 cities, due to the massive number of immortals designed to last through the ages. Weird teching path to delay civil service as long as possible. I think I built a total of 18-20, lost a few as cannon fodder. I'm even more amazed I found enough gold to upgrade them all.
So unless I lose a lot more, I'm going to get at least A, definitely getting D since I built no ranged unit, 2 CB upgraded to XB were gifted by CS. Once trebuchets upgrade to cannons and artillery, it will be smooth sailing. Managed to keep the middle civs locked in perpetual wars so none of them can get out of control, while I'm friends with every civs on the eastern side.

Ultimately, since ST is the scribe, he can do what he likes. He's obviously interested in catering to the wider community, and that's great. It's just that the points systems you are describing are not very congruent with my original idea for the series.

I don't see why not. Of course it's not final, but at this point it should be obvious that the finish time will be weighted a lot less than achievements. It's my firm belief that finish times should at least be worth some, rather than being a binary did or did not finish.

The CDG is not aimed at being less-casual than DCL, but it is aimed at being narrower. This map is a Domination map primarily, and I don't personally want to see a complicated set of points that makes the original weightings of the achievements largely irrelevant.

I don't want to make it complicated either which is why I proposed the in my opinion really simple way of weighting finish times, their weight factor significantly less than the achievement points which should work about as intended: a tie-breaker.

I also don't want to see any finishes that don't complete the VC added to the list. In my book, if you finish this map with a SV, that's a failure. It was not the idea of the map. It IS the idea of the next map I have prepared (assuming one of the potential rotating hosts doesn't bring a map to me before then). The next map is a 'Medium' map that should be straightforward IF the player solves one or two major puzzles.

Fair enough, I don't think it will happen anyway but I definitely am getting rid of it. I think you should feature on the spreadsheet anyway but I will of course honor your request.

Yeah, you have a lot of beasts to take out! That 'guy' you said you all dealt with doesn't look finished IMO. For starters, no one has their capital!

His forces are depleted actually, artillery should shred his capital easily. I'm thinking of doing a beeline and capital sniping because otherwise the game will take forever. This time, I'm not in a disadvantage, it's just a matter of mowing down the carpets, like we did in the SG which really encouraged me. I obviously didn't play this map as it was intended, but that's because

1. I feel more comfortable this way
2. I obviously wouldn't know how

I also noticed a strange problem, my game for some reason turned off the mod that upgrades Pikemans into Muskets. So now on turn 150, I got a lot of pikemans that couldn't be upgraded. This is really unfortunate.

Nevermind, I figured out why. If you load any saved game not through the mods menu, then it won't load the mods correctly. I'll just replay the start.

Actually, that can't be true because I always load Modded games through the normal Single Player menu specifically to avoid the very same problem. Something more complicated is happening, I think. I'm sorry for those who experienced it. I had no problems at all.

@consentient, if you are doing as you say and NOT getting abnornal results, that is abnormal. Loading modded saves NOT through the Mods menu (almost) always yields wonky results.

I wonder if there is a way to reactivate the mod on a saved game so that I don't have to replay 150 turns.

Yeah I load through Mods -> Select Mods -> Load Game

Pikes upgraded to Muskets without issues

Concerning MODs
There are 2 different sort of mods based on a flag set by the mod creator.
  • Mods that affect saved games. Those are required for a saved game to be played, and should be automatically loaded when you load a saved game that was created with the mod activated. Unfortunately, Civ tends to forget to activate some mods from time to time, and they can't be loaded with a saved game that was created without them.
  • Mods that don't affect saved games. They are not required to play a saved game, and must be manually loaded through the mod menu, then the saved game must be loaded from the mod menu for them to work. Most of the time they can be loaded after a game was started and should then work correctly (so forgetting to activate them is not important). Typically, it will be UI mods.
Note that it's just a flag, and it's possible a mod creator forgets to set it, resulting in "broken" saved games if you don't load the mod first.

Unfortunately all 3 mods here are set to "affect saved games" so for Sclb and myself, there is no alternative to completely restarting.

To avoid possible issues with mods, proceed as follows :
  1. Make sure you have all the mods listed. If not, download them from the link and install them.
    • If the mod is a .civ5mod file : simply copy it to your mod's folder (this should be %My Documents%/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS) and CiV should unpack them automatically.
    • If the mod is .zip, .7z, .rar or if CiV fails to unpack a .civ5mod file automatically, use an unpacking application (7zip is free and supports many formats, winrar also supports many formats but is not free) to manually unpack the mod. In the case of .civ5mod, you must right-click and unpack to a sub-folder.
  2. On the main menu, go to the mods sub-menu, CiV should unpack .civ5mods now
  3. Find and enable each mod, if you can't find a mod, chances are civ didn't unpack it. Go back to 1. If for whatever reason the .civ5mod is no longer in the mods folder, it means Civ or the steam workshop decided to trash it (it can happen with dll mods, maybe others). Re-download it and extract it manually as per 1-b
  4. You will see "configuring game data" message. After that a new screen will appear with a list of all enabled mods. On this screen click "single player"
  5. On the next screen, click load game and load your moded game
  6. You can double check everything went well
CiV will remember active mods each time you enter the mods sub-menu, so when you continue the same game, you can skip step 2 (and obviously step 1). They are only important when you start a new game.

Thanks for the explanation. I wonder what happens when I manually go into the .modinfo file and edit the line that requires it to affect saved game, and load the game via mod menu with that line set to 0. I can also disable the other 2 mods since I don't need them anymore to make sure that they aren't interfering with each other.

Edit:
Ok, seems that I was able to reactivate the UU upgrade on my t150 save file. Now the question is, is it the mods interfering with each other that caused the UU upgrade one to be switched off? If so, which mod?

t139 - He fakes right, he fakes left... He fakes himself out!
Spoiler :
Whelp, things are not going according to plan! I think I have succeeded in confusing the bejessus out of myself. After early scouting and some amazing huts, I decided to go Tradition, and try some river farming. Culture, Pop, Calendar, Culture2, Trapping, Culture3!!!, and Scarcher. You'd think I would have won by now.

I only built 3 Immortals and very early I built range as Monte had Swords and soon LS (now Muskets). I kept running my army back and forth between E and W - 2 failed attempts to take Egypt who has beaucoup wonders, including all 3 religious ones. He is spamming GP and Missionaries like a leaky colostomy bag, I captured and planted 3 GPs. He has nice rel bldgs, so it's not the end of the world, but I sorta like being the guy who gathers up the collection baskets.

I am currently about to give up on Egypt a third time (I thought XB would do the trick), and maybe punch Monte in the nose if he doesn't whack me first. I took Rio t123 after Monte softened him up nicely. Denounced by Pedro and Cathy (she only has 14 cities and the GW and double my score), Iroq is playing like Poland for a change, Ghandi actually was #1 in mil for a long time.

Started on Honor which was a huge mistake, should have gone Commerce. I will try going for Arty, but I'm pretty sure I blew the game already as I went machinery before Education, and was heading for Trebs, but will backtrack for Observatory and maybe Sistine as I am stoopid that way. I have had one whole TR sent my way all game, by Monte just now. After early quests I am achieving nothing. Too many defensive roads, as always.
Spoiler :

Bob, thank you very much. I will copy and paste your info into a Spoilered box in the OP.

I played 10 more turns with small progress. I used up all of my oil but the unit crankage is real. The conquest path is somewhat easy, just need to mow down plenty of carpets but since people started brandishing aircrafts, gonna need some spotters to bring those flies down, does anyone have any info on how the interception mechanics work

Top Bottom