The Community Deity Game #2 - Assyria

t283 SV (by 1 turn?), Achievement E
Spoiler :
Arabia teched like crazy this game! I only caught him after burning many GS after Hubble, and then he retook me. He got Radar but then went to the top of the tree. He was going to launch 1 turn ahead of me, so I DOW'd him and crossed my fingers - and it worked. Plus I pooped a GS at the end which shaved one turn, whew! I don't remember the last time I lost a Deity game that I played to the end... I got kind of complacent as these SVs typically become so mundane at some point.

I guess my early lack of growth due to working Skilldarado bit me on the butt. That and having some difficulty with lux early. I was only in one other war, Dido attacked mid-late game with only Rifles and Cannons. She dominated demographics (48 cities) but fell so far behind in tech. I took her city where I had planned to put my 5th, but it only had a Cathedral, and slowed me down for sure. I just wanted some breathing room.

Being as the previous game was DomV, I had no desire to try to slog through Dido to reanimate Egypt. Ethiopia had the GW, and was pretty close to eliminating Theo, but I got everybody to attack him and Arabia was about to take his cap. Heile delayed Arty a long time - it would be nice to think the AI is smart about that.

Full Tradition, Patronage, Rat, 6 in Freedom. Big Ben, Eiffel, GFW, Hubble, Neuschwanstein, SoL, and Broadway.
Spoiler :

Attachments

• CDG-02_Assyria.jpg
    CDG-02_Assyria.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 500
T255 Sci BCE the recap.

Spoiler :

So, 6 city Liberty but no religion and the T43 DoW by Dido was less than welcomed. Her initial attack wasn't that bad but she got Almaty to single digit hp even with my 2 CBs helping it out. After taking Hippo Regius I had to DoW Egypt to get a decent access anywhere beyond that. Part of the problem was that a turn after selling the city to Darius whom only then met Dido gave her OB so my units weren't safe there. Elephantine was an easy catch and I was hoping Theo to take Thebes but that was overly optimistic so settled for Heliopolis and as it had Art. Guild I even kept it. Dido finally gave up when she had 2 overseas expos left which I couldn't take anyway without naval units and I had surpassed her Rammy with tech so catching more cities wasn't that beneficial. Sold the surplus cities to Theo & Darius to hamper their tech rate & create some hostility between all parties involved. Too bad that trend of the game auto canceling the gpt trades of cities started soon afterwards so I only enjoyed 5 to 10 turns of negotiated gpt of the city trades.

T64 Liberty finished and GS planted, T95 Theo started spying but I predicted some foreigners in Assur and left my spy there - no luck with first 2 attempts but got the next two so lvl 3 in decent time after which 007 moved to Constantinople ,T99 6C NC, T104 Education - no money to buy Unis and all but Persians with their JE sent missionaries to my cities. Paid Haile to to Darius as he became too close to my comfort and fairly soon afterwards he DoWed me as well and the travel time from East was so long that I had to borrow money to buy walls & a XBows and still only managed to hangout just long enough to keep all cities - a turn or at max two & I'd lost a city. On the other hand I also captured a former Persian Prophet and were able to to temporarily convert 3 cities and faith buy Unis.

T123 Rationalism opened, T129 founded WC and lost LToP to Babs 4 turns later. Voted down the WF the first time as I needed to take care of Haile who somewhat surprisingly was the military powerhouse and with less cities I had. By this time I also noticed that I wasn't running my Academy from Assur with NC but from Nineveh so few lost beakers since T99.
T151 Sci Theory & 2nd to Industrial, T158 FP for happiness and T160 PT at which point I took the tech lead again form Harun. I also sold him the closest Ethiopian city and used the territory to heal up & take pot shots as there wasn't a mutual OB.

Spoiler :

WF got a close race luckily I went all out but still the speed of it surprised me. The culture boost was extremely welcomed due to lack of CS allies until now. T172 Radio and T173 Order for happiness and generally liking it unlike Freedom as I can't stand the 'borrow endless money from AI & buy the parts' concept.
Around this time it also got apparent that I needed Arties to get anywhere with Ethiopia and all its nearby CS allies so I took a tech detour. My view of the 'help friendly AI...' part was that I needed to have DoF/allied and hammering down the capital to be taken and Harun's advance against Haile was non-existent when I finally managed to bribe him to DoW. Theo was easier to bribe but her path to AA was much trickier so I took surrounding cities, sold them to interested parties & crossed my fingers.
T183 Plastics but Theo & co had already re-converted my cities so had to buy own missionaries to be able to buy more than one RLab with faith but moreover the main obstacle seemed to be the capping cities part rather than tech pace.

After getting Bombers, bribing Dido against Egypt I joined in the threesome and finally Theo managed to get a melee unit on range for capping.

I've other AIs produce a decent number of units before but the amount of Mehals was beyond ridiculous. Otherwise I would've welcomed the extra xp but now I had no use for GGs so it felt like a waste. In the end Harun brought enough Cavalry to cap the capital but I wasn't too optimistic for Haile to be wiped off.

On the same turn I managed to pass the Sci funding without too much protesting. In the past 50+ turns most of my money & all spies where trying to ally CSs to secure the vote - I even coup'ed once which is another concept I really dislike in the game.

IG wasn't as much of a success as WF was but at least I gave a try as I didn't want to take any more ideological pressure than I absolutely had to. Had I decided to build even few Archaelogists the cumulative cpt would've gotten me an extra policy or two but it wasn't anything close to crucial.

After helping Dido to wipe off Rammy and making peace a turn before it was easy to Liberate Egypt in the end. SBs perform very adequately against cities with sub-50 def.

As I was hoping for ages Babs to cap Persepolis they finally pulled back. The Persian war wasn't a success by any other means either as all my Whales & most TRs got pillaged right away but I needed that 3rd cap. In hope of a CS capping I continued the siege by preventing the CS units from escaping but they halted after bringing a Gatling to capping range.

As a plan B I took few more from Dido & made sure Theo got an easy access to Carthage which worked much better.

And a turn after that I launched and took Persepolis as it annoyed me.

Spoiler :

Full Liberty, two fillers in Patronage, then Rationalism and Order in the end. Can't even remember what for I used Rati finisher; Plastics most likely. Oxford was for Nano I think.
Partly the late Oxford was due to Heliopolis which I had to annex as it stopped working Guilds at some point. I got two GAs which were unused as I was waiting for a natural GA which got always postponed and I didn't have slots for art works. Also Heliopolis didn't work the tile it was settled on but that was just another bug in the long line of those in the game.

Nothing surprising here either. Well passed others in tech, not so much in other areas.

The game started out ok/too good but after losing a religion I got side-tracked so a crappy as a sci game but a fair bit more interesting one than just turtling in the corner. Also a crappy game domination perspective but the fear of losing a city or even two was exiting for a change. Without religion my settling doesn't make any sense especially when I didn't block Theo from settling between my Western & Eastern part so I didn't even bother to connect the 3 Eastern cities until T200+.
Lost quite a few units but mostly due to ghost units which I didn't bother to check out often enough but the military objective was not so clear that I was mainly just chilling and waiting what would the others do.

From any perspective one or even more cult CS ally would've been extremely helpful but the early quests weren't suitable and the AIs had way too much money.

Allied with Theo from ~T25 till the end, with Harun the latter half, with Babs from T150, Dido offered one around that time, Darius was always frindly but no DoF offers and rejected mine while Haile hated me from the beginning - might've something to do with my active recruiting of one of his workers. I also got few from Rammy but left CSs in peace.

No navy of any sort as usual on Pangaea but it wasn't needed either as the war against Darius was so late in the game and I couldn't have matched Dido pre-T100 anyway.
Decent tech pace throughout the game but far from optimal path for a pure sci game - more fun though.

Playing this game for fun, not achievements. The map looked fun and is easy enough.

Obviously, bought a settler with El Dorado gold and sent it there so just work the El Dorado culture, allowing me to open Tradition and get fast through Liberty (then it grew with a granary). The cap had to do a lot of heavy lifting due to being the first coastal city of two, but now I am rapidly growing it via cargo ship.

Stole 2 workers from Theodora, one Egyptian settler, and a CS worker. Built one myself, and one from Liberty. Due to early aggressive worker enslavement, improved luxuries very fast and didn't have much happiness issues up until now that my cities are nearing and getting over pop 10 limit.

I almost felt bad for stealing from Egypt because Dido ran over him. I knew all too well whose turn is next and refrained from settling the gems near King Solomon Mines but put a warrior there, who spotted marching longswordsmen. I had to pay Dido 2 luxuries to go DoW Byzantium, but as Dido settles closer, the only solution is to eventually kill her with fire.

Despite my poor choices and not-so-safe Liberty run, I am doing okay in terms of science, so the plan is to start stagnating growth, finish infrastructure, and rush to mercantilism. Then I can prebuild cannons and knights and upgrade them into industrial era units to go after Dido and Haile, since one is running away, and the other will be difficult to deal with once he gets Mehal Sefaris and I conquer Carthaginian cities. Theodora has 2 cities, Egypt has been eliminated, an Arabia is a pushover, so I will probably need to take out some cities with oil and try to deal with Darius, who is always high on defenses, with aircraft or more. Getting through Dido's 15 cities might also take a while, and maybe I will leave her with one or two--as long as she is so crippled she can't do anything.

I mean, why even play Assyria if you don't want to go for conquest. :p

Attachments

• assur.jpg
    assur.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 216
Ugh well, I rolled out against Haile a little bit too late. Those Mehal Sefaris are tanky as hell. My only hope is that he doesn't have many of those. At least I did a little backstab when I gave him everything to DoW Arabia and Persia, so they are a distraction, too. But still, fewer cities, bonus near capital, great general, mehal sefari special bonus will make it a pain... though Addis Abeba has Notre Dame, Chichen Itza, and Taj Mahal, so capturing it will pretty much let me raze Dido's cities with no worry. With some policies and buildings, my capital makes an artillery every 3 turns (and if I built Ironworks, that'd be 2 turns), which will all amass to assault Dido, who also has riflemen. Ugh, this will be a tech deficit domination struggle.

I'm struggling with this map - willing to ignore all other achievements and just get the sub-230 SV (I've been high 2xx on my SVs on DCL). Any better SV players out there, please offer some input:

1) is there any point in getting ToA for a sub-230 game?
2) could Liberty be faster than Tradition on this map (definitely room for >5 cities)
3) if 'Yes' to 2, is there any point building ToA when going Liberty?
4) do you prioritize Research Agreements or ignore and use the gold to purchase schools and/or labs?

Just quit a 4city Tradition-Freedom game with crippling -35 from Ideology happiness. Cities were 35, 25, 25, 22 on T212.

2 more capitals to go, provided Dido doesn't retake hers. But I pushed her almost entirely off the continent and benefited majorly from liberating Egypt and gifting him all these cities for free passage. I think no matter the warmongering, revived allies will always love you forever. Still, she is second in army, and most of it is navy and aircraft, so I just need to turtle to a peace deal and repel her attacks. Darius is now leading in army, but my tanks, artillery, and aircraft spam, coming back from Constantinople, should make it easy to kill him. The problem is going to be with Babylon because he requires either a detour or plowing through Persia with no peace deals, but I guess I can keep gifting to Egypt and enjoy protection at least from melee units.

Most of industrial and modern era technologies I received for free because Treasures of Nineveh. :p It's actually great for Deity. From the middle of the bunch to an absolute tech leader, even though my science sucks, and I only build units. Also, a randomly spawned GE helped get Prora. I am only now starting to build barracks for happiness from Autocracy. Let's see what hides beneath this little dark patch.

Attachments

• assyria.jpg
    assyria.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 225
I think no matter the warmongering, revived allies will always love you forever.

I wish this was the case but it isn't - the fastest denouncement I've gotten after resurrection was in 3 turns and not only that but we managed to get DoF between the events. After that I made quite sure that no one draw Washy back to life 2nd time - all excuses for a genocide within the game are welcomed.

Just quit a 4city Tradition-Freedom game with crippling -35 from Ideology happiness. Cities were 35, 25, 25, 22 on T212.
I have never come close to even a T250 SV, so I cannot help, but I am very interested in your attempt. That city size seems really, really good. Please post a screen shot. I am also intrigued that you felt you room for a Liberty run!

If it were not for Ideology pressure, do you think you were on track for the T230 SV?

If so, was there nothing you could have done differently to get a little more Tourism? Did you have Oxford themed?

What if you reload back to Ideologies and go Order instead of Freedom? Missing SoL sucks, but -35 ideology pressure sucks too!

In your current game, you might be able to spare the two turns to switch into Order soon after SoL is done. Is your faith generation enough to purchase a couple GE? That would be three SS parts accounted for.

I have never come close to even a T250 SV, so I cannot help, but I am very interested in your attempt. That city size seems really, really good. Please post a screen shot. I am also intrigued that you felt you room for a Liberty run!

If it were not for Ideology pressure, do you think you were on track for the T230 SV?

If so, was there nothing you could have done differently to get a little more Tourism? Did you have Oxford themed?

What if you reload back to Ideologies and go Order instead of Freedom? Missing SoL sucks, but -35 ideology pressure sucks too!

In your current game, you might be able to spare the two turns to switch into Order soon after SoL is done. Is your faith generation enough to purchase a couple GE? That would be three SS parts accounted for.

I've started and quit a bunch of games now; no screen shot available, but going from memory I was actually building great works that game and had 20-22 tourism, so the -35 happiness from ideologies was a big shock. I also did a 6city Liberty run with T66 NC, but low pops. None of my attempts have felt close to sub-230 pace and none of them have had good faith generation.

I'm worried Order will make the late-game too slow. Even with Freedom, I'm guessing I need to hit targets of about T150 Scientific Theory (with gold to buy schools, which has been a struggle) and T180-185 Plastics (with gold to buy Labs).

I was actually building great works that game and had 20-22 tourism, so the -35 happiness from ideologies was a big shock.
That does seem crazy. The other thing about fast SV is that, from what I hear, you are not giving ideology pressure much time to accumulate. I am back to wondering if you might not have been able to waited it out a few turns? OTOH, maybe T230 SV requires everything to go right?

I'm worried Order will make the late-game too slow. Even with Freedom, I'm guessing I need to hit targets of about T150 Scientific Theory (with gold to buy schools, which has been a struggle) and T180-185 Plastics (with gold to buy Labs).
Correct me if I am wrong, is not ideology selection between ST and Plastics? If so, your “late-game” does not go one for so long, and I don’t see how Order would much delay your T185 goal for Plastics. Can Order versus Freedom even be ten turns difference at the pace you are aiming for? (Of course if that puts you from T225 to T235, you have missed the benchmark for this game. Still, it seems to me like it might be worth your trouble to try your late game a couple of different ways.)

Even if you off Plastics to T190-195 you can still finish with a good enough time of around 240-250. I was only late because I mistimed the endgame GS generation (and lost PT), by delaying Hubble a bit, I may have squeezed another one in and even got it under 250. I managed a few Order SVs in 250 range

The ideology pressure thing sometimes doesn't seem to work as advertised so the best thing to do is work around it and/or brace for impact

Correct me if I am wrong, is not ideology selection between ST and Plastics? If so, your “late-game” does not go one for so long, and I don’t see how Order would much delay your T185 goal for Plastics. Can Order versus Freedom even be ten turns difference at the pace you are aiming for? (Of course if that puts you from T225 to T235, you have missed the benchmark for this game. Still, it seems to me like it might be worth your trouble to try your late game a couple of different ways.)

I was just listing hypothetical milestones after the Order vs. Freedom comment, not necessarily related.
I'll give it a few more tries.

I almost never care about ideology pressure. Building happiness building/wonders usually does the trick. In my game I did get lucky with an AI following freedom, but still I wouldn't have enough GS for sub 230 with my 200 plastics. The real limiting factor for Order is you need high production to be competitive with freedom, and you need to reach key tech quickly in order to allow time to build parts. With freedom, you can afford to grow and maximize bulb values, since you can just buy everything on the last 1-2 turns.

I wish this was the case but it isn't - the fastest denouncement I've gotten after resurrection was in 3 turns and not only that but we managed to get DoF between the events. After that I made quite sure that no one draw Washy back to life 2nd time - all excuses for a genocide within the game are welcomed.
Perhaps, that depends on the AI. I went full Domination in this game, and Egypt kept offering DoF the whole time. And he is usually a prick.

Anyway, I finished on t277, getting Atomic Theory from Dario. Assyria is definitely fun on my list. In the ICL Assyria game I finished with XB's, but this time I went into the atomic era, and it was pretty enjoyable. :goodjob: I think I am ready for Persia Domination wit achievements.

Attachments

• ashur.jpg
    ashur.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 218
vadalaz, could you share your Social Policy choices and where Guilds fit into your build order?

1) is there any point in getting ToA for a sub-230 game?
2) could Liberty be faster than Tradition on this map (definitely room for >5 cities)
3) if 'Yes' to 2, is there any point building ToA when going Liberty?
4) do you prioritize Research Agreements or ignore and use the gold to purchase schools and/or labs?
1) I think it's fine for a sub-230 game, your city sizes are already good without it though
2) 7-8 city Liberty and 5-6 city Tradition are likely equally good on this map, seems to be the case for all the NQ pangea maps posted so far. I think this map is sub-210 potential, the main problems are LToP going early and zero chance of getting a religion
3) Maybe, but this particular map has mediocre early production and no forests to chop
4) I like to buy science buildings in the capital, I don't bother with RAs usually, but if you have the spare cash there's no reason not to sign them I guess

vadalaz, could you share your Social Policy choices and where Guilds fit into your build order?
Full Tradition - Commerce to Landsknechts pre-Renaissance, then Rationalism to Secularism and Free thought, Mercantilism, 6 in Freedom, opened Patronage because I had too much culture and noone built Forbidden Palace, finished Rationalism.

I built Writers' Guild in the first expo a bit before T90 (that city had good food + river for a garden, and the capital was busy building NC, Oracle, HS anyway). Artists' Guild in the capital around T125, Musicians' Guild in the capital right after winning World's Fair for the culture.

Thanks vadalaz for the great responses.

Currently at T130 and this will be my final attempt. Things went very well early on and I took advantage of several opportunities. 4-city Tradition with Temple of Artemis; I won't expand further. I think 2 big mistakes I've made previously (in many of my games) are ignoring culture (Guilds, CS) and gold (Markets, Banks) for half the game. I built the first 2 guilds (in capital) almost exactly the turns you've mentioned; I seldom try to win WF, just target 350.

I cleared a few barb camps for CS and traded to get their luxury requests. I opened Patronage (don't think I was at Medieval yet) and got Scholasticism. I took advantage of a war to sneak in and conquer a capital (scout-Archer, spear-upgraded from starting warrior, CS-gifted warrior) and immediately sold it for 66gpt and 3 luxuries. I sold any luxuries I had and now on T130 I have 6 CS allies and 3 are Cultural. I grabbed LToP with a GE. Cities are 21, 13, 12, and 11.

My mid and late-game science has been sub-par compared to the top players, so we'll see if I screw this up or ride the lucky breaks/previous map knowledge/better play to sub-230.

Top Bottom